Can you speak Dutch?

Old Mar 20th 2008, 4:35 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Can you speak Dutch?

Often the name of the seaside-town Scheveningen is mentioned when this issue comes up. It is said that no non-native can pronounce Scheveningen correctly.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 2:58 am
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

Well, I don't see any difficulty with it - if you can pronounce "Schipol" you can pronounce "Scheveningen".

As I understand it , the "Scheveningen" principle applied to German spies in the Netherlands in WW2. The Dutch used the word to test if a suspected spy was truly Dutch, since a German would pronounce the "sch" as "sh". For example, "what a pity" in German is "wie schade", and the "schade" is not guttural.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:47 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

The British began to suspect that a WWII Dutch resistance cell had been overtaken by the Germans, all because a wireless operator noticed that the word "prijs" had been transmitted as "preis." And in fact that cell had been compromised.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 4:00 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
Can you speak Dutch?
ja lekker.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

The Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really niceThe Hutspots is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
The British began to suspect that a WWII Dutch resistance cell had been overtaken by the Germans, all because a wireless operator noticed that the word "prijs" had been transmitted as "preis." And in fact that cell had been compromised.
Damn you tommies. You hast found mich aus! I told you not to mention ze war! Scheveningen!!!!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:40 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Hutspots
Damn you tommies. You hast found mich aus! I told you not to mention ze war! Scheveningen!!!!

At least we did not steel Omas Bike.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 5:08 am
Fight the good fight

Starseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to allStarseed is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Hutspots
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

Foto John is an unknown quantity at this point

Ja, ik spreek een beetje veel Nederlands, maar ik woon in West Vlaanderen, Belgiƫ.

The Flemish are very friendly and helpful towards tourists, but when you live and work in Flanders, Belgium, you've got to learn the language, as not many people (quite rightly) won't speak English. So, my Dutch should be perfect after five years then! Well no actually, in my province the dialect is so difficult to understand that they place sub-titles on TV whenever someone from the region is talking, as nobody else in Flanders understands them.

Last edited by Foto John; Mar 22nd 2008 at 8:17 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:23 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen In Brugge (the movie)?
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:24 pm
THR
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Foto John
Ja, ik spreek een beetje veel Nederlands, maar ik woon in West Vlaanderen, Belgiƫ.

The Flemish are very friendly and helpful towards tourists, but when you live and work in Flanders, Belgium, you've got to learn the language, as not many people (quite rightly) won't speak English. So, my Dutch should be perfect after five years then! Well no actually, in my province the dialect is so difficult to understand that they place sub-titles on TV whenever someone from the region is talking, as nobody else in Flanders understands them.
That is interesting! I have thought that in the case of Belgium it is the French-speakers who mostly can't speak any other language and couldn't be bothered to even make the effort. I have thought the Flemish-speakers are the ones who are more inte3rnational in their outlook, learn the other language of the land as well as English and probably other languages as well. Well, given the grammatical similarity of the languages, German should be like a piece of cake for Flemish-speakers.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Have you seen In Brugge (the movie)?
No, I didn't even know about it, but I'll look out for it now! Thanks

Last edited by Foto John; Mar 22nd 2008 at 8:37 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by THR
That is interesting! I have thought that in the case of Belgium it is the French-speakers who mostly can't speak any other language and couldn't be bothered to even make the effort. I have thought the Flemish-speakers are the ones who are more inte3rnational in their outlook, learn the other language of the land as well as English and probably other languages as well. Well, given the grammatical similarity of the languages, German should be like a piece of cake for Flemish-speakers.
The Flemish speak excellent English, French and mostly good German too! The point I was trying to make, was that as soon as you start living in Flanders the Flemish expect (quite rightly in my opinion) immigrants to integrate and speak their language. They go out of their way to speak other languages, so long as the foreign speaker doesn't live in Flanders.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:39 pm
Lapine Member

No, I didn't even know about it, but I'll look out for it now! Thanks
Should've been In Bruges (the French version of the name):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780536/
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 8:56 pm
THR
Account Closed

The Flemish speak excellent English, French and mostly good German too! The point I was trying to make, was that as soon as you start living in Flanders the Flemish expect (quite rightly in my opinion) immigrants to integrate and speak their language. They go out of their way to speak other languages, so long as the foreign speaker doesn't live in Flanders.

Well, that is certainly a good thing. What I've heard from the Dutch side is that it is perfectly possible to live in the Netherlands and lead a full life without being able to speak any of the local language because the locals are too eager to flaunt their skills at English.

The Flemish clearly have a more self-respectful attitude. If you live among us speak our language. That's the way it should be.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 8:21 pm
Fight the good fight

Originally Posted by THR
What I've heard from the Dutch side is that it is perfectly possible to live in the Netherlands and lead a full life without being able to speak any of the local language because the locals are too eager to flaunt their skills at English.
It's very encouraging for beginners of Dutch like myself, but I certainly can't "live a full life" without understanding the newspapers, television, posters, notices, websites, or the general talk around me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.