building jobs in Amsterdam

Old Jul 4th 2008, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

donk90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default building jobs in Amsterdam

Hello, my name is Donk. im a carpenter from Wales and ive just moved to Amsterdam. Ive been working in Colorado and Oz before that but my jobsearch in Amsterdam isn't going so well. I can't find any english speaking builders to help me...and most of the sites i find are in dutch.

Where is the best place to find work? Not fussy...carpentry/building/labouring?

Also and as important...where are the best pubs to find non tourist english speaking people?

Any tips would be good,

ta,

Donk
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Rumpole is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: building jobs in Amsterdam

Hi Donk,

Have you tried getting work via agencies (e.g. Tempo Team, Randstad, Adecco, Vedior)? They may have the type of work that you are after and could possibly help with the language issues.

To get an idea of where to look try www.uitzendbureau.nl with e.g. timmerman (i.e. carpenter) as the functietitel. There are a number of vacancies listed which might be what you are after. You could try translating the job ads using one of the on-line translators such as Babelfish or Google.

Also, the agencies might be able to help you with respect to qualifications. Holland has a well regulated system of training in many professions and I really don't know how the UK system relates to this.

Regarding Amsterdam pubs I really have no idea (living in Eidnhoven!) but have you tried www.expatica.nl as they have lots of info about life in the Netherlands and have whats on listings etc.

Best of luck

Rumpole
Old Jul 8th 2008, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Silver Smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by donk90
Hello, my name is Donk. im a carpenter from Wales and ive just moved to Amsterdam. Ive been working in Colorado and Oz before that but my jobsearch in Amsterdam isn't going so well. I can't find any english speaking builders to help me...and most of the sites i find are in dutch.

Where is the best place to find work? Not fussy...carpentry/building/labouring?

Also and as important...where are the best pubs to find non tourist english speaking people?

Any tips would be good,

ta,

Donk
Hi Donk,
Welcome to Amsterdam.
What carpentry work do you do, have you got any qualifications/experience/references? What part of Amsterdam do you live in?
Good bars to try are Coco's Outback - Thorbeckeplein near the Rembrandtsplein or the Irish bars sightly out of Amsterdam centre (O'Donnells - Marie Hendrik Plein, Tig Barra - Overtoom).
Good luck
Old Jul 8th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

donk90 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for replies guys. I live in central Amsterdam. Ive covered most aspects of carpentry/joinery. Worked for a timber decking company for 3 years, building decks/gazeebos/cabins etc... And i worked for a high end design/build company in London for 3 years, working mostly on full house renovation so...timber framing/kitchen and bathroom fitting/cabinet making/timber flooring etc...I can get references easily and have photos. Thanks again for the help...ill be testing the pubs on the wknd!