BSN or No BSN?

Old May 24th 2017, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

Lucydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BSN or No BSN?

Well, here is my first post, so I'd like to say firstly, Hello to everyone and thanks for taking the effort to help people with all your first hand knowledge.

So I'll just jump in with my Dutch related question. I have a large holiday home in the east of the country, and over the couple of years I find we are spending more and more time there. It's about 4 months a year or so. As we are both self employed it doesn't matter where I work from as long as I have wifi! Anyway, I really would like some advice as to whether I should apply for a BSN? Do I qualify? Can I get a temporary one? Ultimately I really need a Dutch bank account just so I can pay bills and get shopping in. I'm finding that my Nationwide Debit card is not accepted very well and so I end up walking round with 100s of euros or frantically trying to find an ABN cash machine as that's the only one that recognises the card! Tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if we decided to stay in a few years as my husband has already had an offer of part time work, and we also have Dutch family locally. My language skills are now quite good so it wouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway I suspect it might be better to do it pre Brexit, so any help as to where I stand on this would be welcome. Thx.
Old May 25th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BSN or No BSN?

The Dutch government website mentions that everyone who lives 4 months or longer in the Netherlands should register at the town where they live. English page about this registration: https://www.government.nl/topics/ide...cords-database Upon registration you will get your BSN number. Be aware though that once registered you will also be subject to things like income taxes. You mention that you work while in the Netherlands, so it is likely that the tax agency will be interested in you.
English page about BSN: https://www.government.nl/topics/ide...service-number
The Dutch section of that government website seems to have more detailed information than the English version.

Last edited by SushiFan; May 25th 2017 at 7:34 am.
Old May 27th 2017, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Besides the length of time you intend to be in NL, and getting the relevant documents, you might want to be aware that some councils frown on people living in holiday homes as a permanent home. You'll need to check what the policy is of your local council area.
Old May 29th 2017, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Lucydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. My UK home would still be my permanent residence it's just im likely to be over the 4 months so I'd need to register. Do you know off hand how I'd check the council policy? Thanks.
Old May 30th 2017, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

You can check what the rules are normally on the website of your local "Gemeente".
Old May 30th 2017, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

If you're here for no more than 4 months, don't register. You will be treated as a visitor, and avoid other requirements such as compulsory health insurance. If all you want is a bank account for shopping, just use your UK debit (or credit, although they aren't as widely accepted) card with PIN number. Registering will cause you no end of problems and it's not required for visitors/tourists.

http://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-page/of...s/registration

Last edited by Red_Wine_Fairy; May 30th 2017 at 6:06 pm.