BSN?

Old Nov 28th 2017, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

neurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: BSN?

Originally Posted by Cynic
The BSN number is quite important; you can't get paid without one! Further, it allows you to register with a Doctor, register a car. Also, if you work in Holland, you'll be paying into the Social tax funds (unemployment, pension etc), again, you need the BSN for this.
I'm aware of that, but don't I need to have an address first? I can't just walk in to whichever gemeente to ask for one, while staying at an AirBnB flat or a hotel, can I?
Old Nov 28th 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neurotic
I'm aware of that, but don't I need to have an address first? I can't just walk in to whichever gemeente to ask for one, while staying at an AirBnB flat or a hotel, can I?
When we did it (albeit many years ago and was called a SOFI number then), it was all part of the same process. If your landlord is happy for you to register at your Airbnb address, then you can register, get it over and done with, then when you find somewhere permanent, just let them know the change of address.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are right, it seems the council issue you with a BSN also these days. Used to be more complex. Good luck!
Old Dec 14th 2017, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

neurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to beholdneurotic is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to register tomorrow so now I have two more questions: do you think if I'm being honest about the date of arrival (more than 5 days ago), will I get into trouble? For not registering earlier?

The second question is, do they want to see an employment contract? I forgot to ask for a copy (I only have a scanned version).
Old Dec 14th 2017, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

If they say anything, claim ignorance; thank them very much for informing you of the correct procedure.

Don't know about the contract, I didn't have one when I registered (albeit, a long time ago now).
Old Dec 14th 2017, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for this, good tips They haven't said on the website about the employment contract (the bank will want to see one I guess but I will get it by then.)
Old Dec 16th 2017, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

So they just took copies of my papers but I didn't get the number immediately? The guy said it will arrive in the post in 2 weeks but then I asked I thought it would be right away, he said it wasn't possible but that they're not very busy and I should probably get it within a few days...

The problem is, that I was being optimistic and before I even had this encounter at the gemeente, I asked for an appointment with the bank... which will be next week. (I thought I'd get the BSN immediately!)

So my question now is, if it doesn't arrive by mid next week, is it still worth going to the bank (with my employment contract and stuff), and ask them to accept the BSN later, or do I have to cancel the appointment with them...?
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neurotic
.... So my question now is, if it doesn't arrive by mid next week, is it still worth going to the bank (with my employment contract and stuff), and ask them to accept the BSN later, or do I have to cancel the appointment with them...?
Depends on the bank, some will do it, some not; when my wife (Dutch citizen) renewed her registration this summer, the ING wouldn't touch her (and we'd been customers for years prior to moving to UK), but the Rabobank were fine. Apparently it's more to do with the Computer System than the bank itself, it just wouldn't go past a certain page without a BSN number.

Last edited by Cynic; Dec 16th 2017 at 12:24 pm. Reason: spooling mishtakes
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cynic
Depends on the bank, some will do it, some not; when my wife (Dutch citizen) renewed her registration this summer, the ING wouldn't touch her (and we'd been customers for years prior to moving to UK), but the Rabobank were fine. Apparently it's more to do with the Computer System than the bank itself, it just wouldn't go past a certain page without a BSN number.
Oh OK, here's hoping then. My appointment is with ABN (my colleagues recommended them). I hope their system gets me through (or better, that I get my BSN by then).

I wonder if it's also an option to phone the gemeente to give me the BSN number on the phone? Like, if they see in their system the number I'm going to get, it just takes time to print it and post it, could they give it to me over the phone just so I can tell something to the bank?
Old Dec 16th 2017, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

I've just checked their website; it says you will need to bring your passport, employment contract and BSN to your appointment.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for checking All of them say that though don't they? On the phone they said the employment contract isn't even necessary. I might phone up the gemeente just in case they already know the number itself even if it doesn't arrive by then.
Old Dec 19th 2017, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

StevieLW is an unknown quantity at this point

they normally say 2 weeks for BSN but we often hear from people that it takes more like 3-4 days.

Keep it simple, don't let yourself get too stressed over these admin things - I would just wait until the day before the appointment at the bank, and if you don't have it yet call them and ask if you can still come in.