Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

Is British driver's licence valid in Holland?

Is British driver's licence valid in Holland?

Old Jan 8th 2017, 9:32 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is British driver's licence valid in Holland?

Originally Posted by Red_Wine_Fairy
Pulaski, as the only person to send me a PM in years, forgive me for not checking. As the word 'licence' - often preceded by the word 'driving' - appeared a further nine times in the post, I'd have thought my error was rather obvious and forgivable. Seems not.

BEVS, I've provided the website (equivalent of our DVLA), which is one of the few government websites translated into English in such detail. I've looked for an answer, I couldn't find one. Perhaps others can see something that I've overlooked.
The person alluded to in the OP has, probably, been driving somewhat illegally in the Netherlands for some years as EU countries have REQUIRED a photocard license for many years. I had to get one at least 15 years ago before moving to Spain as it was a legal requirement. a UK photocard license can only be sent to a UK address, so the person should have got a Netherlands one, which is just a switch, no need for a test, the person only has to fulfill the requirements that a Netherlands citizen would, this may mean regular eye tests etc, but NOT a new driving test
Old Jan 8th 2017, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
To be clear from what you guys have posted.

1 - This lady has the old style UK paper licence ( same for me here as it happens) which has not yet run out .

Can she continue to use this in Holland if she wishes ?
If yes - could the fact she is & has been resident in Holland for decades with a UK license impact in some way in the event of a road traffic accident ?

Is it best to exchange for a Dutch license which may or may not involve a test ?

2 - This lady has the old style UK paper license which has run out. However she lives in Holland and intends to remain so cannot renew a UK license.

This means exchanging/uplifting a Dutch license which may or may not involve a test. Yes?
Yes, except it definitely won't involve a test to exchange (EU law) as long as her UK license is still considered valid. She may encounter a hiccup of Dutch authorities wanting a UK photocard to exchange, in which case she may have to return to UK to get a photocard, hopefully s/he still has a UK address to use for this, or can use a friends place or something on those lines.

And if she didn't want a Dutch license she could go back to UK and renew the UK one for a photocard and use that as it is valid in all EU countries, though if you've lived in NL for umpteen years I can't see why you would want a UK license over a Dutch one.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 9:09 am
Just Joined

old wanderer is on a distinguished road

Living in Holland for 30 years and still driving on a British driving licence? Seems rather strange but there again another expat with a foot in two countries. I certainly would not like to be involved in an insurance claim, driving on a British licence, after living there for so many years
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:17 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Checking the text from the English RDW pages with the Dutch version I see that they are largely in agreement. However, I found a statement in the Dutch version which I didn't see in the English version:

"Rijbewijs afgegeven in EU/EVA en ingeschreven in Nederland
Als u een rijbewijs heeft dat is afgegeven in een de landen van de Europese Unie (EU) of Europese Vrijhandelsassociatie (EVA) terwijl u al stond ingeschreven bij een Nederlandse gemeente (in de BRP), dan mag u niet met het buitenlandse rijbewijs in Nederland rijden. U moet dit rijbewijs omwisselen bij de gemeente."

This states that if you received your non-Dutch driving license while you were already registered as a resident in the Netherlands you are not allowed to use it for driving in the Netherlands. You need to exchange it for a Dutch license.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Checking the text from the English RDW pages with the Dutch version I see that they are largely in agreement. However, I found a statement in the Dutch version which I didn't see in the English version:

Als u een rijbewijs heeft dat is afgegeven in een de landen van de Europese Unie (EU) of Europese Vrijhandelsassociatie (EVA) terwijl u al stond ingeschreven bij een Nederlandse gemeente (in de BRP), dan mag u niet met het buitenlandse rijbewijs in Nederland rijden. U moet dit rijbewijs omwisselen bij de gemeente."

This states that if you received your non-Dutch driving license while you were already registered as a resident in the Netherlands you are not allowed to use it for driving in the Netherlands. You need to exchange it for a Dutch license.
Yep, thats the letter of the law. In the OPs case, they may have to go back to the UK to get a valid photocard license then return to NL and immediately exchange it. I don't know if NL will exchange based purely on the old paper license that is now invalid for use there.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

This is absolutely correct. We had to exchange our UK licence for a Dutch one after we registered at the Gemeente .It is highly unlikely that this lady didn't know this during her 30 yr stay in NL.
We have just had to exchange again for a Portuguese one which states that after the age of 70 yrs an application for renewal will be required every two yrs.This can however be done online but with a doctors signature to say medical tests have been carried out.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

There is a similar system in the Netherlands: people over the age of 70 get a license which is valid for 5 years. They need a medical examination before it is being renewed/extended.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Where does it say that she received the British licence while already registered as a resident here? It's already established that that doesn't happen, that the DVLA won't send a driving licence abroad, so it's a fair assumption that she received it while still living in Britain, surely?
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Where does it say that she received the British licence while already registered as a resident here? It's already established that that doesn't happen, that the DVLA won't send a driving licence abroad, so it's a fair assumption that she received it while still living in Britain, surely?
It could have been sent to a friend or relative's home or a home that they still own in the UK.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
It could have been sent to a friend or relative's home or a home that they still own in the UK.
That is perfectly possible, but at best rather pointless, and likely dangerous because the license would have no validity.
Old Jan 14th 2017, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
That is perfectly possible, but at best rather pointless, and likely dangerous because the license would have no validity.
Agreed. The post in question was asking how she could possibly get a British license living outside the UK, and that would be how.

The ironic thing here is I don't think the OP has responded at all
Old Jan 14th 2017, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Red_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond reputeRed_Wine_Fairy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The ironic thing here is I don't think the OP has responded at all
Indeed. Unless we know for sure the date of issue of the licence, and the date of her GBA registration, it's all pretty pointless.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:32 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed. Unless we know for sure the date of issue of the licence, and the date of her GBA registration, it's all pretty pointless.
Not really. If she is/has been living long term in the Netherlands she needs a Dutch license. Full stop.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

When we registered with the Gemeente in Holland back in 1994, we were told we had to exchange our UK licences for the Dutch equivalent. I had a UK paper licence for car, bike and HGV Class 1; I got the Dutch equivalent back the same day. 5 years later when we moved back to the UK with my job, at first DVLA advised us to carry on with our Dutch licences until they expired, but said they would check something and get back to me; a few days later they called me back and advised me to exchange my Dutch licence for the UK version (because I would need a medical to renew my HGV).
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not really. If she is/has been living long term in the Netherlands she needs a Dutch license. Full stop.
Point me to that full stop - that absolute, ironclad clause in the documentation/website - which everyone else, including those able to read dutch, has failed to find.

Because without that, all you have is an opinion: one shared by everyone else, but an opinion nonetheless. Passing off opinions as facts is not helpful.

The full stop is this: without the OP giving more detailed information, we cannot find a definite answer for their 'friend'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.