Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Belgium , Netherlands, Luxembourg
Reload this Page >

bricklaying in holland.. Can anyone help?

bricklaying in holland.. Can anyone help?

Old Apr 2nd 2008, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bricklayer u.k will become famous soon enoughBricklayer u.k will become famous soon enough
Smile bricklaying in holland.. Can anyone help?

Hi I am British(name gives it away ey) bricklayer looking for work in Holland.. Full qualifications,, 5 years in the job now and 7 on construction sites don’t speak Dutch an need pointers in where to look because when I type in search engines online I don’t get much success..

I love Holland have been 6 times.. went to de kuip for the feyenoord v Ajax game, awesome ground and fixture!!! have Dutch friend’s who live in Rotterdam but they work in offices,,, not in construction and would like your help and my own head to find jobs..

looking for work anywhere in Holland.. websites where I may send c.v s and find jobs.. Im not looking to move there permanently just work away for 3-6 months or maybe 6-12 months.. Depends on what work i can get if any.. no ties here..

All information welcome

Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:07 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: bricklaying in holland.. Can anyone help?

Do your friends speak Dutch? If so surly that could help you out a bit more here.
Do you realise that you are up against a lot of other Metselen? A lot come from Eastern Europe so wages are lower especially compared with the cost of living. Most get their jobs

If you live in any EU country for more than six months a year you are classified as a resident so you have to register with the authorities, pay taxes etc. If you do not speak Dutch then how will you cope with the tax system? I think that you will find you have to pay it then claim it back. Tax forms in The Netherlands are very complicated, not like the U.K.
In answer to your question about web site here are some;
You will need your Dutch now as these web sites are not all in English
http://www.google.es/search?q=Metsel...=utf-8&aq=t&rl
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Bricklayer u.k will become famous soon enoughBricklayer u.k will become famous soon enough

Thanks,, i will contact them.. yes they are dutch.. keep the info coming please!!!!!
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Do your friends speak Dutch? If so surly that could help you out a bit more here.
Do you realise that you are up against a lot of other Metselen? A lot come from Eastern Europe so wages are lower especially compared with the cost of living. Most get their jobs

If you live in any EU country for more than six months a year you are classified as a resident so you have to register with the authorities, pay taxes etc. If you do not speak Dutch then how will you cope with the tax system? I think that you will find you have to pay it then claim it back. Tax forms in The Netherlands are very complicated, not like the U.K.
In answer to your question about web site here are some;
You will need your Dutch now as these web sites are not all in English
http://www.google.es/search?q=Metsel...=utf-8&aq=t&rl
Actually it's very easy to live in The Netherlands without speaking Dutch and plenty of Brits do it unfortunately. Tax forms are also not complicated unless you have some kind of weird situation, and there are plenty of expat tax advisers willing to rip you off for EUR 50 to fill it out for you.
Try a site like expatica which has a lot more Dutch expats than this one.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:53 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Actually it's very easy to live in The Netherlands without speaking Dutch and plenty of Brits do it unfortunately. Tax forms are also not complicated unless you have some kind of weird situation, and there are plenty of expat tax advisers willing to rip you off for EUR 50 to fill it out for you.
Maybe there would be more on here if they weren`t sent to other sites ?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:07 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe there would be more on here if they weren`t sent to other sites ?
Ans some more informed help too.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:39 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I was a moderator on Expatica. Many of the posters there are quite agressive and I have seen people flamed flagrently. I only modded on the Dutch forum section for a week and it was the most horrendous week of modding I have ever spent.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I'm just trying to help! Expatica was a big help to me when I first moved to Amsterdam and didn't have anyone to ask questions to. But you're right, they are a tough bunch. Wasn't always that way...
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I'm just trying to help! Expatica was a big help to me when I first moved to Amsterdam and didn't have anyone to ask questions to. But you're right, they are a tough bunch. Wasn't always that way...
If you live there perhaps you could of tried to answer his questions instead of sending him to another site.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Mehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really nice

Why are Mods. advertising (albeit it negative) other forums ? - is this not blatant advertising ? Surely one of you Mods. remembers deleting my little thread on our English speaking drama group/panto production a couple months back deciding that was blatant advertising.

I rest my case.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
If you live there perhaps you could of tried to answer his questions instead of sending him to another site.
I used to live there, don't anymore. But I'm not sure how living in Amsterdam qualifies me to know anything about bricklaying!

I guess you'd rather members get no help than help from other sources. No wonder people don't bother posting on here.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 2:45 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I used to live there, don't anymore. But I'm not sure how living in Amsterdam qualifies me to know anything about bricklaying!

I guess you'd rather members get no help than help from other sources. No wonder people don't bother posting on here.
It may work better if they waiting a bit for a reply than have someone send them off to another sight.
Why do you think they posted on this site and not the other one ?
He was actually looking for help finding job agencies etc no skill in bricklaying needed at all
looking for work anywhere in Holland.. websites where I may send c.v s and find jobs

Last edited by jdr; Apr 7th 2008 at 2:48 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Mehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really niceMehari is just really nice

You could always contact "Randstad" agency in UK www.uk.randstad.com
It's a Dutch employment agency who have offices in UK.
This page from "Undutchables" http://www.undutchables.nl/workinginnl/ could also give you an insight to working/living in Nederland.
Bear in mind that a lot of Eastern Europeans temp. work here and some know only 3 words in Dutch - Worst, Bier & Geld.

Anyway, going getting to that "other forum"-bless their cotton socks....
Tough lot sat behind their PC with threats, radical opinions, but reckon most of those tough nuts are infact induviduals with little or no social contact skills.
Being new to this forum larck, read lot of posts and their replies and kept thinking, Mmmmm Is this what forums are all about? Where is the helping of other expats? Also BIG revolt last year on that forum when I believe an update was done and some posts were lost. The radicals actually believed that the "lost" info was as important as the Dead Sea scrolls.

Mitzyboy - Are you gonna allow this post - pretty please ??
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Why shouldn`t he, it`s within the rules and helpful to the original poster.
Thank you for the contribution.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

Hi JDR,
Was just a bit taken back couple months ago, when what I thought what would be appreciated by UK expats post was classified as unfit! Bit wary after that...

Anyway, any one else out there with more hints for our Bricky chappy ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.