Another new one...

Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:47 am
Just Joined

radicalbyte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another new one...

Originally Posted by jdr
Why do you need a permit ?
If you are an EU citizen you dont need a residencia to live in Europe, or has The Netherlands got its own rules ?
In Spain only non EU citizens need a permit to work.
No idea, just relaying the experience third party. I have a feeling that it's related to benefits, but then I was asked if my residency would be longterm or short-term - with the short term requiring a renewal after 3 months.

Everyone here has to register their residance, it's the rules. Boy do peeps here like their rules...
Old Feb 19th 2007, 10:21 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by radicalbyte
No idea, just relaying the experience third party. I have a feeling that it's related to benefits, but then I was asked if my residency would be longterm or short-term - with the short term requiring a renewal after 3 months.

Everyone here has to register their residance, it's the rules. Boy do peeps here like their rules...
Used to be similar in Spain, but now only pensioners and people living here not employed have to have a residencia.
Just so as they can keep an eye on us tax wise probably. ;-)

I suppose one day the rules will be the same all over the E U, lol.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 4:51 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Holland is very much "big brother is watching you"

You have to register for almost everything (preferrably digitally) . Personally
I dont think its too bad a thing, but they do like to know where you are and what you are doing.

The 5 year registration is very straighforward, but it also means you are officially registered in Holland. I found out recently that I wasnt registered for the last 13 years. oops !

They still knew how to find me for my taxes and government bills, but it meant I couldnt take my motorcycle theory test A bit strange, but hey, thats Holland.

I made a couple of phonecalls and everything was sorted (after paying the appropriate bills of course)

They love their red tape over here. Sitting in local government offices for one reason or another is very common. births, deaths, marriages, driving licence, passport, rent rebates, etc etc. very time consuming, and NEVER free .
Old Feb 19th 2007, 7:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Holland is very much "big brother is watching you"

You have to register for almost everything (preferrably digitally) . Personally
I dont think its too bad a thing, but they do like to know where you are and what you are doing.

The 5 year registration is very straighforward, but it also means you are officially registered in Holland. I found out recently that I wasnt registered for the last 13 years. oops !

They still knew how to find me for my taxes and government bills, but it meant I couldnt take my motorcycle theory test A bit strange, but hey, thats Holland.

I made a couple of phonecalls and everything was sorted (after paying the appropriate bills of course)

They love their red tape over here. Sitting in local government offices for one reason or another is very common. births, deaths, marriages, driving licence, passport, rent rebates, etc etc. very time consuming, and NEVER free .
Sounds similar to Spain, but a lot of our paperwork is done at the police station. ;-)
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:24 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another new one...

Originally Posted by furkew
Thanks.

It goes on sale officially this week, but we already have a second couple coming on Wednesday, so fingers crossed.

Why are you looking at moving back ?
Sorry have not been on here for some time…
Why are we thinking of moving back?…we miss Carnaval.

[/font][/color]http://www.eindhovensdagblad.nl/carnaval/
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 8:55 am
Just Joined

ZaneLo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darna_Moon
Hurrah! So far all going ok!

Have managed to sort out Pet Passport (which is going through as we speak)! Have had a nice (if standard) reply from Undutchables about looking for work. And clearing though all my stuff is going nicely. Also handed in my notice at work. No turning back now!

Random question... does anyone know. When I report to the goverment office for my Sofi number, I've been told it would be a good idea to get a residency visa too, to help get a bank account. Does anyone know what I need with me/to do to get one of these?

Thanks a milion!

HI Darna, i have moved to Amsterdam from Manchester about a week ago and i already managed to bag myself a fairly decent job (IT), i don't speak one word of Dutch but English is your Key to the world of employment with international companies.
what i would advise is that as soon as you arrive in the Netherlands, book your self an appointment for SOFI (VERY CRUCIAL TO EVERYTHING) with the Dutch Tax Office by calling their free number 08000543, they will then call you back in a couple of days to confirm your appointment in one of their offices respectively. As you are a British national, you will not require Work permit but you would however need to a residency permit SOONER or AFTER THREE MONTHS of your stay in the Netherlands. to be able to get the latter you would have been registered with local city council (the personal records database (GBA) of the municipality in which you reside)
then you contact the Dutch IND http://www.ind.nl/EN/index.asp to register.
Residency permit is Free of charge and is a Yellow sticker which will be stuck on your passport.
Good luck
I hope this info will be of much help.

Z
Old Mar 7th 2007, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

dutchmarbel is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: Another new one...

I have a ton of questions about visa's and jobs and pet passports (my lovely cat needs to come with) floating round in my head, muddling along the best I can. Does anyone fancy pointing me in the direction of a thread thats covered all this before? Any kind words of encouragement are appricated, to be honest they are needed right now!
Hi Darna, and welcome to the area. When I have to describe the ins and outs in the Netherlands to foreigners, I quite often look things up at expatica.com for the Netherlands. I can also recommend browsing through this page

I live in Haarlem, which is ca. 30 kilometres south of Alkmaar. It has a city guide for English speakers; I am Dutch but my husband is British/Irish and we have three bilingual kids so I sometimes search for English language/culture things for them. Since it is not far from Alkmaar you might find some things to do too.
Old May 24th 2007, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Ron Baker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All!

I'm yet another new one here, joined with hope of getting some help, support & friendship from some like minded people.

I'm planning to move to the Alkmaar region in April, going to be moving in with my boyfriend for 6 months at first. We should be moving down to Utrecht after a few months. Have been planning this for a few months now and things are starting to come together.

Very worried about getting a job over there as I speak little to no Dutch. I'm learning as much as I can, but its slow. Hoping I can find some sort of work to fund a lang course to help me along.

I have a ton of questions about visa's and jobs and pet passports (my lovely cat needs to come with) floating round in my head, muddling along the best I can. Does anyone fancy pointing me in the direction of a thread thats covered all this before? Any kind words of encouragement are appricated, to be honest they are needed right now!

Darna
hi, how did you or are you getting on with your move? i may be doing the same in the summer? is there any pitfuls to watch out for? any advice on what to do first ? we want to rent in or around Amstelveen ? ...thanks Ron
Old May 24th 2007, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Sorry have not been on here for some time…
Why are we thinking of moving back?…we miss Carnaval.

[/font][/color]http://www.eindhovensdagblad.nl/carnaval/
I also miss carnaval, but that's about it, oh yeah, still miss frikandellen and kroketten ,Furkew
Old May 24th 2007, 4:27 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ron Baker
hi, how did you or are you getting on with your move? i may be doing the same in the summer? is there any pitfuls to watch out for? any advice on what to do first ? we want to rent in or around Amstelveen ? ...thanks Ron

Hi Ron,

Have you had a good read of all the posts on the Dutch forum ?

There is plenty of advice on all the different htreads.

Cost of living generally from one "gemeente" to another is pretty much the same except for the rental prices. Amstelveen is fairly close to Amsterdam, so ideal for commuting which can make it fairly expensive to live there compard to other towns. Actual rental costs i'm not sure, but I thought there was a link on the Amstelveen thread to an estate agent.

A few words worth learning if you are looking at Dutch sites :

makelaar (estate agent)
appartement
Maand (month)
Prijs (price)

Here is a link which shows rental places from €600-€1000 p.m in a 1km radius of Amstelveen. As you can see only 13 houses.

http://www.funda.nl/WoningAanbod/Huu...&er=0&ut=False

This one is €1000-€1500 p.m

http://www.funda.nl/WoningAanbod/Huu...e=&ZoekSoort=1

22 rentals
Old May 25th 2007, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Thats great , i will read more on these threads and check out the link you sent and maybe Utrecht or Hilversum area could be better ?, much appreciated............cheers Ron
Old May 25th 2007, 7:26 am
Going for a ride

Thats great , i will read more on these threads and check out the link you sent and maybe Utrecht or Hilversum area could be better ?, much appreciated............cheers Ron

Where will you be working ?
Old May 25th 2007, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Hi, my work is based in Amstelveen but i dont mind driving upto 20km ? My wife prefers a village/town type living rather than a big city ? any idaeas? and the rentals site is quite good i just need to scrub up on my geography ?
Old May 25th 2007, 7:40 am
Going for a ride

Hi, my work is based in Amstelveen but i dont mind driving upto 20km ? My wife prefers a village/town type living rather than a big city ? any idaeas? and the rentals site is quite good i just need to scrub up on my geography ?
I would suggest looking at Amstelveen itself then. 20km driving doesnt sound too far, but if it takes an hour every day to get to work, it might sound different.

In Holland, cycling, bus or tram to work is the easiest way. My BIL lives and works in Amstelveen, and he swears by it. He used to work in Utrecht, and that was a nightmare commuting.

I would suggest emailing one of the estate agents asking for advice on housing in the Amstelveen area. They all speak good English, and i'm sure they can give you a good idea of what, when & where.

Have you looked at the Amstelveen website ?

http://www.amstelveen.nl/web/show?id=44489&langid=43

They also have a fairly decent Rugby team if that is your sport.
Old May 25th 2007, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Thats great advice ! what agents do you advise (the one you recommended) or is there another link ? im still looking thru all the threads like you suggested also !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.