Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Your reasons for leaving Canada??

Wikiposts

Your reasons for leaving Canada??

Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Your reasons for leaving Canada??

After living in Canada for 8 years I've recently been thinking about moving back "home" to Northern Ireland. So I just wondered what other people's reason were for heading back. I don't hate living here but I really miss having my family around especially with 2 kids under 5.

Any thought or comments would be appreciated. I'm so confused
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:07 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your reasons for leaving Canada??

It's nearly always the same reason as yours, missing friends & family. Occasionaly it's work related, ie- not being able to find a similar job to what they were doing in the UK and being too proud to try something else.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Your reasons for leaving Canada??

In my case, I miss family and my country. Every time I go back to visit it is harder and harder to come back to the US. It is different for everyone, but a death in my family put things into perspective and gave me the final push to plan my move. I don't want to be thousands of miles away from my loved ones anymore; it's as simple as that.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:01 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I am just so done with the place. I miss my country and I miss waking up knowing that I am home. Twelve years of exile...that's how it feels to me. I don't particularly like BC but I have travelled pretty much all over and it is a beautiful country. I just choose to be where I feel alive, and where my kids can get a decent education, that is all.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Your reasons for leaving Canada??

My reply should have been 'My reasons for leaving the US" ha, ha. Not Canada. But, I am sure it is much the same for a lot of us.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I am just so done with the place. I miss my country and I miss waking up knowing that I am home. Twelve years of exile...that's how it feels to me. I don't particularly like BC but I have travelled pretty much all over and it is a beautiful country. I just choose to be where I feel alive, and where my kids can get a decent education, that is all.
Makes sense to me.

How old are your kids? Have you had a bad experience with the Canadian School system? I have a friend who recently moved back to Scotland partly because she thought her girls were getting a raw deal in the Ontario school system.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Marmalade
My reply should have been 'My reasons for leaving the US" ha, ha. Not Canada. But, I am sure it is much the same for a lot of us.
I think you're right. I've read about so many people leaving Australia just thought I'd get a North American perspective.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 10:41 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Makes sense to me.

How old are your kids? Have you had a bad experience with the Canadian School system? I have a friend who recently moved back to Scotland partly because she thought her girls were getting a raw deal in the Ontario school system.
Mine are nearly eighteen down to just two years old (five of them). Yes, BC education sucks if your kids are intelligent but you cannot afford private. Had to get my eldest daughter's Grade 12 topped up with US AP courses just to get her on an equal footing with A level students.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mine are nearly eighteen down to just two years old (five of them). Yes, BC education sucks if your kids are intelligent but you cannot afford private. Had to get my eldest daughter's Grade 12 topped up with US AP courses just to get her on an equal footing with A level students.
That really does suck. My little boy is 5 and my girl is 5 months. From what I've heard and seen here in Ontario the education for kids under ten is pretty good but I worry about the future.

So when do you head back? I think the hardest bit must be making the decision, it scares the crap out of me, I think you are very brave. Was there one thing that helped you make up your mind?
Old Oct 14th 2007, 3:07 pm
Cynically amused.

That really does suck. My little boy is 5 and my girl is 5 months. From what I've heard and seen here in Ontario the education for kids under ten is pretty good but I worry about the future.

So when do you head back? I think the hardest bit must be making the decision, it scares the crap out of me, I think you are very brave. Was there one thing that helped you make up your mind?
Realising (finally) that my kids would grow up and leave home and that I did not want to grow old and die here.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:41 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Realising (finally) that my kids would grow up and leave home and that I did not want to grow old and die here.
I've driven through Chilliwack and I can understand how you feel, how come the petrol is so cheap there compared to rest of the lower mainland?
Old Oct 14th 2007, 5:53 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by Danny B
I've driven through Chilliwack and I can understand how you feel, how come the petrol is so cheap there compared to rest of the lower mainland?
'Tis all a ruse to keep us in the Village of the Damned.... I have no idea really, it always has been a few cents on the litre cheaper up here.

Some parts of Chilliwack are very pretty, others quite the opposite. The drive-though perspective from the freeway is really quite gloomy, but if you know where to go for stunning scenery, you can do worse. It is booming on the Sardis side, new shops and services are coming at long last and there is a scurrilous rumour that The Bay may be moving up here once we hit 100,000 population. I have become less frustrated with the place these days, which is either defeat/resignation or the knowledge that I can escape....one day.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Elaine

I moved my family back to England after 8 years in Canada. I have spoken to about 6 different people in my company who spent 8-10 years in Canada. Main reason for them coming back is raising kids in Canada on their own(no family/friends) and wanting them to be educated in England.

We left Canada due to a number of reasons. No1 was that I had no free time with the family and was expected to work 50-70 hours a week in a managers role(back in the UK I work normally less than 45 hour week which I feel reasonable for a manager).

I also lived in Ontario(rural) and thought my two sons educated was very good until about 11 years old, but was concern about schooling from 11-15 years old. To us we felt English schooling has more to offer in this age range. At 12 my eldest son was doing real practical subjects at schools i.e woodwork, metal lathe work, where as in Canada he would be 15 before he did this type of lessons. Also we like the idea of science teachers teaching my 14 year old now having a science degree and not a general teachers certificate(with a degree in phycology).

Both my sons came back into English schooling at 10 & 12 years old with not problem. My eldest is on an accelerated GSCE programme and will sit his at 15. This should allow him to do 4 or 5 A' Levels so he as his teachers told me should get him to into Oxford/Cambridge/Wark quality universities.

They intergrated well into the local schools and have picked up a very pleasant Oxford accent( lost the north American twang).

Did not mind living in Canada, just wished we had the same lifestyle we can have in England i.e free time/ vacation allowance/job protection.

A positive to moving back to the UK is that British companies actually like overseas experience and the the " Canadian experience" issue my immigrants run into moving to Canada. I managed to get a £10K increase in salary plus company car.

PM me if you have any specific question.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 5:20 am
Tea Drinker

'Tis all a ruse to keep us in the Village of the Damned.... I have no idea really, it always has been a few cents on the litre cheaper up here.

Some parts of Chilliwack are very pretty, others quite the opposite. The drive-though perspective from the freeway is really quite gloomy, but if you know where to go for stunning scenery, you can do worse. It is booming on the Sardis side, new shops and services are coming at long last and there is a scurrilous rumour that The Bay may be moving up here once we hit 100,000 population. I have become less frustrated with the place these days, which is either defeat/resignation or the knowledge that I can escape....one day.
I was only joking about Chilliwack, I thought the same when I first drove through Kamloops, all I could see were fast food restaurants, motels and petrol stations.

So when is the big day for you and your family heading back to the UK? Have you settled on a town yet or are you still deciding? Sounds like exciting times ahead for all of you, especially with the current exchange rate for Canadians returning to the UK!

Have fun.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hudd

PM me if you have any specific question.
Thanks Hudd will do. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.