Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Are you planning to move back to the UK in the near future and are you excited?

Are you planning to move back to the UK in the near future and are you excited?

Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

iwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud ofiwantone has much to be proud of
Default Re: Are you planning to move back to the UK in the near future and are you excited?

Originally Posted by Old William
Yup settled straight back in...within days it was like we'd just had a (slightly longer than usual) holiday and not been living in the States for the last 2 years.

Absolutely! One thing that being an expat has done for us is make us realise just how lucky we really are living in the UK and how full and vibrant life here can be if you are only prepared to take off the blinkers of doom and gloom and enjoy it.

That's great. I just know we will love being back, I have been lucky enough to be able to get back frequently for the 5 years we have lived in the US and every time we return we settle back into life there as if we had never been away, only like you say we appreciate things more than before. The UK definitely is a great country and a great place to live with lots of great people not to mention better food than the US!!! Can't speak for Aus since i've never been there but from what friends tell me it's possibly worse than the US. Good luck with everything!
Old Dec 20th 2006, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

janj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the roughjanj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Are you planning to move back to the UK in the near future and are you excited?

It makes a huge difference whether you've been gone two years or twenty years, though. After a two year stint in Florida we found it very easy to settle back in the UK. This time round, after twelve years, it would be quite different.
Old Dec 20th 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Yup settled straight back in...within days it was like we'd just had a (slightly longer than usual) holiday and not been living in the States for the last 2 years.

Absolutely! One thing that being an expat has done for us is make us realise just how lucky we really are living in the UK and how full and vibrant life here can be if you are only prepared to take off the blinkers of doom and gloom and enjoy it.
hear bloody hear
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:43 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hayley
I am planning a move back to the UK in April with my also English hubby. We will have been in the US for 5 years at this point. I have a baby on the way- due in August and it's my second so I will be comparing the Us and UK hospital experiences!
For us I can't say that we haven't had fun in the US at times but long term I am just too culturally different to my colleagues and friends here, for the first 3 years I was able to ignore my homesickness- indeed I didn't even feel much- because I was doing well in my career and we were able to buy a 4 bedroom house and Lexus.

Things really changed for my husband when a close family member died- he tried really hard to convince me to return but I still wasn't ready. Then my mind was changed when my son was born. We were left with medical bills- despite 'good' insurance and I opted to take the 12 weeks off work, as did my husband which cleaned out our savings.
With no cushion for us this year has been really hard- and given me an insight to the fact that there is no safety net if you need it. coupled in with the fact that my work wants me to be just as gung ho as I was pre- child and I am in a different place with my priorities these are my main reasons for leaving. There are lots more!

I am very at peace with my decision, a little stressed about the packing etc- which is understandable but I do feel that the experience of living in the US has taught me that material things cannot make me happy and england is a fantastic country with a lot to offer- much of which you never see until you leave.
I agree with you once your cushion is gone or almost gone you look at living in the USA in a whole different light...everything here is a worry...I'd like to go back to just enjoying life....not having to plan everything like a military campaign..
Good lucky...
Old Dec 20th 2006, 2:55 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought I'd say this, but thank heavens for UK TV Gold I'm happily catching up on 'Top Gear 'and 'I have I got news for you', over 3 years worth, it's all new to me
Old Dec 20th 2006, 4:44 pm
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

We plan to move back, the time line hasn't been set in stone yet, so we're quite flexible which is nice. Our main aims are to get my husband some time in his new job (as a fireman) to get some experience under his belt. Repay the debt that we have accumulated since moving here. All this before my son is old enough for school (he's 2 & a half at the moment), so we'd better get a move on!!! When I think about moving back to England in the next year or so, I get so excited, I can barely contain myself! Wooohooo!!!

Old Dec 21st 2006, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Hey that sounds good Louise, Wow so this really could be it then! I am actually sad that you are leaving, Australia has missed out big time.

May all good things go with you, you are a brilliant British person, you are one of the best.

Take care, and have a wonderful and happy Christmas finally at home.

XXXX Rosie

Phew, what a relief to have a choice whether or not to use that return ticket, chuck it in the bin as soon as you land!!!
Yes here here.
You have been valuable to this forum and have been very supportive to everyone.
Hope all goes well for you and please let us know you are getting on.
Just wish I could go home for Christmas god knows how long I am stuck out here now.
So sick of the heat.
Try and send some cold our way if you can.
Mery Christmas.
Old Dec 21st 2006, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

TheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to beholdTheVickers is a splendid one to behold

we haven't been in Canada long, 7 months! But we are going home.

Hubbie is going home on the 2nd of January to start work, then the movers are coming in on the 4th to pack up the house and then baby and I are moving on the 9th, I start work on the 11th and then last but not least our dog is flying out on the 22nd of April.

She will be staying with hubbies sister and family until then, they have a lab so she will have a playmate. We thought that would be easier on her than having to stay in quarantine. She is coming home with LadyHaye.

Can't wait, infact this period waiting for the packers to come in is driving me nuts cause I am itching to be doing stuff but you have to leave all the stuff for the packers to pack!

Jo x
Old Dec 22nd 2006, 9:34 pm
Hanging by a thread

Location: England to Spain, Spain to England and back home for good
Sparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to beholdSparkle2nite is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheVickers
our dog is flying out on the 22nd of April.

She will be staying with hubbies sister and family until then, they have a lab so she will have a playmate. We thought that would be easier on her than having to stay in quarantine.
Seems we have a lot in common, our cat is in Spain with a friend until she can come over at the end of April due to quarantine rules etc. We miss her so much and can't wait to see her again. We 'acquired' her in Spain as a kitten, she was being chased by dogs and was starving, dirty and a bag of bones poor thing. She is so beautiful and affectionate and as she is only just a year old now we couldn't leave her behind and hope she remembers us when she comes over....we have been assured she will and that cats have better memories than people give them credit for, hope that's true!

Sparkle
Old Dec 23rd 2006, 12:52 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkle2nite
Seems we have a lot in common, our cat is in Spain with a friend until she can come over at the end of April due to quarantine rules etc. We miss her so much and can't wait to see her again. We 'acquired' her in Spain as a kitten, she was being chased by dogs and was starving, dirty and a bag of bones poor thing. She is so beautiful and affectionate and as she is only just a year old now we couldn't leave her behind and hope she remembers us when she comes over....we have been assured she will and that cats have better memories than people give them credit for, hope that's true!

Sparkle
After a about 9 months, my cat in Canada still kind of remembered me when I went back to visit.... not quite as friendly & trusting as he was prior to leaving him.... just be prepared to get a possibly negative reastion and have to spend time to work up your cats trust levels again just in case. They do have better memories then dogs but they still dont remember as long as we (people) do! Dont be over enthused when you approach them again after a long haul away, and just keep repeating familiar words/expressions of affection to the cat for the first few hours and they should start remembering some of it.

My big mistake was being over-excited on my last visit and running up to my cat yelling his name and throwing my arms out for a big hug... he looked at me like I was some kind of crazy person and skedaddled out of there as quick as he could and hid from me the next 24 hours under mums bed *lol*
Old Jan 1st 2007, 6:33 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are you planning to move back to the UK in the near future and are you excited?

Originally Posted by iwantone
Hi there, Just wandering how many of us on here are planning on moving back to the Uk any time soon? We have lived in the US now for nearly 5 years, we initially came with an open mind on how long we would stay, maybe indefinitely if we loved it that much. Now with a baby on the way & missing our family (hubby is english too) we are planning a move back probably this time next year in time for christmas. I have to say I am really excited to get back to blighty although I am not looking forward to packing everything up and all the mess that goes with it but I know it will all be worth it. Merry christmas everyone.

We've been here 26 months and I think we're going to be moving back in 2008 or as soon as dh obtains US Citizenship. He's still only been able to find part-time work despite lots of "promises" from his employer. We've finally decided to draw a line in the sand and start making preparations to return. We love our little home here in smalltown America, but the UK is truly where our hearts lie. We're going to put some improvements into our house with plans to use it as a rental so as not to burn any bridges.

DH is 47, I am 52. We both work (he's in IT, I'm a Legal Secretary). There's still so much of the world we want to see and that cannot be accomplished in our current situation over here, especially with only two bloody weeks vacation. So many more opportunities for us in the UK...

Best of luck with your plans, and Happy New Year!

Denise
Old Jan 1st 2007, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rosie Cheeks;4212443]How exciting, a baby on the way! Congratulations! And the best of luck with your plans.

I my own mind I am planning on moving back, the only problem is that nobody else in my family wants to! So it really is all in my imagination, still I can dream I suppose.

Hi Rosie,

We were wondering what it is that you don't like about living in Queensland and the Gold Coast?

Steve & Lynn
Old Jan 5th 2007, 4:18 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Have a happy, wonderful, cold, wet, snuggly, nostaligic Christmas with your family. xx

A strange mix of things that put together sound just lovely!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Stephen Jones;4240161]
Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
How exciting, a baby on the way! Congratulations! And the best of luck with your plans.

I my own mind I am planning on moving back, the only problem is that nobody else in my family wants to! So it really is all in my imagination, still I can dream I suppose.

Steve & Lynn
why don't you and I go together and leave anyone who wants to stay here Seriously I have had more than enough it's 22 years this year and never felt like it's my home,if I have to go on my own I recon I will just a matter of time.
Everytime I go home I just hate getting back on the plane to come here,the way I am feeling I am lucky nobody bought me a rope for christmas.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

THEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud ofTHEGREATIDIOT has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=psb182;4279272]
Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

why don't you and I go together and leave anyone who wants to stay here Seriously I have had more than enough it's 22 years this year and never felt like it's my home,if I have to go on my own I recon I will just a matter of time.
Everytime I go home I just hate getting back on the plane to come here,the way I am feeling I am lucky nobody bought me a rope for christmas.
Boy, do I know the feeling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.