"You must be mad to move back here"

"You must be mad to move back here"

Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:03 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "You must be mad to move back here"

Originally Posted by Lionda
[/COLOR]

Do you think maybe it has something to do with the benefits/handouts and housing provided - that is a big concern to British tax payers
And language too. Most immigrants have more likely learnt English as a second language than French, German or Spanish etc.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Exactly, I've never seen such carnage on the roads as in Canada. I'd be far more worried than being involved in a crash in Canada than being attacked by some weedy little yobs in England
Do you think the vehicle accidents that occur Canada-wide each year way way surpass the number of those that happen in the UK? I think so. I even have a feeling that the number of annual accidents in Alberta alone are enough to exceed those in the UK!! Where can if find stats on this?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cornishvellan
What a timing for a post! I recently went back to the UK for an interview. So I rang my family to tell them the good news. OMG! My brother went absolutely mad on the phone! You're making a big mistake, this country is rubbish, you've got that place out there (which he means my parents-in-law's villa with a swimming pool which isn't MINE). We had a massive massive row. I went to the job interview (sadly didn't get the job) but whilst I was in the UK, I rang my family also to find out how my father is getting on (he's been very sick for some time). My brother put the phone down on me. Now this brother has never ever lived anywhere different in his life. He has spent his whole life living in the same village in Cornwall, in the same house! How can anyone preach to me about life? How can he feel justified? My family have never ever worried about me and I've even been homeless here in Italy. So why all of a sudden is he so interested in me not moving back? Possibly because he came to Italy for my wedding (his first ever visit in the 19 years I have lived here) and saw everything so wonderful and is now planning to come out more often. Bah! Families!
However, this has not deterred me from moving back. In fact, it has made me far more determined. Yet, I can't say that the things that he said and the behaviour of the rest of my family didn't upset me, cos it did.
Fingers crossed I get a call at the end of the week for some other jobs anyway...but I won't be moving anywhere near them!
Do you know what I think is rubbish about the UK? The attitude of moaning, whining Brits like that (sorry - I know he's your brother! ) But honestly, they whine and moan about the country going to the dogs, yet don't do a darned thing about it. I KNOW that not everything is roses over there, but it's not all bad. Funny thing is, every time I go home I see physical improvements everywhere. It's like a breath of fresh air. And another thing - the absolute nicest strangers whom I met on my last visit over, were a group of Polish immigrants and a Muslim girl from the next town. It's all down to personal perspective, really, isn't it?
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I'm getting exactly those kind of responses from everyone I've mentioned it to back home....but none of them have ever lived anywhere but the UK!! I've heard them all "country's going to the dogs, it's a sh*t'ole, I'd give my right arm to get away from this country/be in your position"..........and so the list goes on. I've even had an email from one of our relatives insinuating that if I come back to the UK, my kids will grow up like yobs.........EXCUSE ME!?!? I bring my kids up extremely well thank you very much! My 16, going on 17 year old son is a very polite and friendly kid - absolutely down to earth and totally un-yobbish. He wouldn't dream of speaking to an elder in a derogatory tone, nor mistreat their property. It's all down to good parenting, but unfortunately, we do have to come across the aftermath of bad parenting, no matter where in the world you live. The UK has it's bad zones, but it also has some really lovely areas too. In this part of Canada where I live, it's pretty good on the whole, and yet today's headline news reports of a shot gun shooting in one of the most prestigious areas of Red Deer!! I mean, it's everywhere! I'd stand more chance of being killed by one of these kn*bhead Canadian drivers here than I would running into trouble with "yobs" back home. However....I'm STILL having trouble getting my hubby around the idea of going back
HI Ruby

I struggled for over a year to get my hubby to even talk about going home. You just have to do it over a period of time me thinks. My hubby is ready to go home too now where as before wouldnt even discuss it. I went back to the UK last April for 3 weeks. When I got back to Aus I was more positive and said I would stay to get PR after that though we were defo going home.

The time has now come for us to start putting things up for sale and after a few teary discussions he has agreed to get on with it. I would even go as far as to say he is actually looking forward to going home now a bit.

Good luck, persevere it will be worth it in the end.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm getting exactly those kind of responses from everyone I've mentioned it to back home....but none of them have ever lived anywhere but the UK!! I've heard them all "country's going to the dogs, it's a sh*t'ole, I'd give my right arm to get away from this country/be in your position"..........and so the list goes on. I've even had an email from one of our relatives insinuating that if I come back to the UK, my kids will grow up like yobs.........EXCUSE ME!?!? I bring my kids up extremely well thank you very much! My 16, going on 17 year old son is a very polite and friendly kid - absolutely down to earth and totally un-yobbish. He wouldn't dream of speaking to an elder in a derogatory tone, nor mistreat their property. It's all down to good parenting, but unfortunately, we do have to come across the aftermath of bad parenting, no matter where in the world you live. The UK has it's bad zones, but it also has some really lovely areas too. In this part of Canada where I live, it's pretty good on the whole, and yet today's headline news reports of a shot gun shooting in one of the most prestigious areas of Red Deer!! I mean, it's everywhere! I'd stand more chance of being killed by one of these kn*bhead Canadian drivers here than I would running into trouble with "yobs" back home. However....I'm STILL having trouble getting my hubby around the idea of going back
Easiest way to end that discussion. Just dont tell them. My mother in law is dying for me to set in stone we are coming back and I know she wants to try and talk me out of it. So now when she asks we just say we dont know.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola411
HI Ruby

I struggled for over a year to get my hubby to even talk about going home. You just have to do it over a period of time me thinks. My hubby is ready to go home too now where as before wouldnt even discuss it. I went back to the UK last April for 3 weeks. When I got back to Aus I was more positive and said I would stay to get PR after that though we were defo going home.

The time has now come for us to start putting things up for sale and after a few teary discussions he has agreed to get on with it. I would even go as far as to say he is actually looking forward to going home now a bit.

Good luck, persevere it will be worth it in the end.
Hi Nicola,
Thanks for sharing that.........My OH keeps harping on about us staying here at least for our Canadian Citizenship, and everyone back home agrees on that too. It does sound like the most sensible thing to do considering the length of time and amount of money it took to apply to come and live out here, however, the whole timeframe to become a citizen here is 12-15 months and a heavy $1400 (which we absolutely don't have) and we have to apply for duplicate official documentation to send in with citizenship application, that will take an additional 3-4 mths to come back. The whole process is going to take around 18 months and it's driving me nuts! That means another winter, maybe two! My OH has a very sick mum, and although I hope I'm wrong, we all don't see her seeing this year out. I've always thought of myself having high morals, and at this point, I don't feel we're being moralistic at all, not being in her life. I feel guilty and selfish....I keep trying to put this across to my OH, how more important it is to spend as much time with his mum than living here....but all he can think about is the house making enough equity so that we can go back with "a wedge" to get us set up again. I know that bit makes sense, but it's the waiting that's killing me!!! I feel like a right moaner these days!!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 10:16 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madcarole
bit confused by this statement ...have i missed something/\/
xx carole x
Do you mean the signatures? They are little nuggets of info or quotes or anything at all we feel like adding. They appear at the bottom of each post we make, and are underneath the black line. Mine is "there's no future in time travel" See?
You can add one yourself by going into your profile, and click on edit signature.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Nicola,
Thanks for sharing that.........My OH keeps harping on about us staying here at least for our Canadian Citizenship, and everyone back home agrees on that too. It does sound like the most sensible thing to do considering the length of time and amount of money it took to apply to come and live out here, however, the whole timeframe to become a citizen here is 12-15 months and a heavy $1400 (which we absolutely don't have) and we have to apply for duplicate official documentation to send in with citizenship application, that will take an additional 3-4 mths to come back. The whole process is going to take around 18 months and it's driving me nuts! That means another winter, maybe two! My OH has a very sick mum, and although I hope I'm wrong, we all don't see her seeing this year out. I've always thought of myself having high morals, and at this point, I don't feel we're being moralistic at all, not being in her life. I feel guilty and selfish....I keep trying to put this across to my OH, how more important it is to spend as much time with his mum than living here....but all he can think about is the house making enough equity so that we can go back with "a wedge" to get us set up again. I know that bit makes sense, but it's the waiting that's killing me!!! I feel like a right moaner these days!!
HI Ruby

Time is a great healer I always say and be honest do you want to go back to the UK and struggle or do you want to be able to slot back into your old life as quickly as possible with a bit of money for a house. I know your MIL is poorly but I sure most of us have been through a couple of near death scares of elderly family members since we have been away from home.
You have to remember once your home and the novelty wears off a little it would be easier with a bit of money. Also it prevents you from looking back in 5 years time and thinking I wish I had stayed to get more equity. HOw long does your OH want to wait to sell?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HI Ruby

Time is a great healer I always say and be honest do you want to go back to the UK and struggle or do you want to be able to slot back into your old life as quickly as possible with a bit of money for a house. I know your MIL is poorly but I sure most of us have been through a couple of near death scares of elderly family members since we have been away from home.
You have to remember once your home and the novelty wears off a little it would be easier with a bit of money. Also it prevents you from looking back in 5 years time and thinking I wish I had stayed to get more equity. HOw long does your OH want to wait to sell?
Another couple of years I suppose....long enough for Citizenship and property value.....but my dilemma is that at the moment our son is coming up to 17, but by then, he'll be going on 19 and will most certainly have a life of his own and might not want to go back. My OH has told me straight on several occasions that if going back means that much to me, then I'm free to go on my own with whichever of our 2 kids also wants to go. That kind of comment makes me very angry.....he's putting Canada over us as a family unit - nice!!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Another couple of years I suppose....long enough for Citizenship and property value.....but my dilemma is that at the moment our son is coming up to 17, but by then, he'll be going on 19 and will most certainly have a life of his own and might not want to go back. My OH has told me straight on several occasions that if going back means that much to me, then I'm free to go on my own with whichever of our 2 kids also wants to go. That kind of comment makes me very angry.....he's putting Canada over us as a family unit - nice!!
My boys are 5 and 9 and really excited about going home. Dont get me wrong they are happy enough here but the oldest misses his old school and footie team and the food.LOL The little one just misses his family and his best friend. If my boys were older I would be shi*in it like you though. Can you go back before him and still make the marriage work. Sometimes you know abscense makes the heart grow fonder. I mean as soon as we are nearly sold me and the kids will probably go back before hubby.

Yeah but mine has said things like that in the past, but I knew he didnt mean it, he was just really pissed off and wanted to stay I think. Now as long as I dont slag Aus off I am ok.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

My boys are 5 and 9 and really excited about going home. Dont get me wrong they are happy enough here but the oldest misses his old school and footie team and the food.LOL The little one just misses his family and his best friend. If my boys were older I would be shi*in it like you though. Can you go back before him and still make the marriage work. Sometimes you know abscense makes the heart grow fonder. I mean as soon as we are nearly sold me and the kids will probably go back before hubby.

Yeah but mine has said things like that in the past, but I knew he didnt mean it, he was just really pissed off and wanted to stay I think. Now as long as I dont slag Aus off I am ok.
I've got 2 girls of similar ages, 9 and 6, and I'm so glad they are young - it must be so much more difficult with teens who you know are going to want to leave the nest in next few years. If you want to go back to the UK, it seems reasonable you'd want your kids there too!! I really feel for Ruby in this....

Part of my desire to go home now has to do with the children. I want them back into UK education system; they were in a fab school and will go back there (I've checked!). Like Nicola, the oldest child is really looking forward to going home. She has made good friends here, so I've warned her about leaving them behind. She just says that's fine and she wants to go back to UK - to family and other friends. The little one is fine about going back too, but to be honest she could be on the moon and be fine! She just needs her parents at that age...

My OH was disappointed at our return initially; we luckily managed to avoid big rows (just the odd little one) - but I was starting to lose the plot a little and needed the security of family and home. I guess he saw that. I know he's chosen me over a new life in Australia, so I have to love him for that!!

Good luck with the OH stuff - it is such a big deal for both to feel comfortable with decisions....
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Nic & JoJo......

My 10 y.o. daughter would/will be in Yr 7 in September and I'd love it if she could get in to the High School where her former primary school friends will be going. That would mean returning back to Hyde, Greater M'cr....my OH would rather eat his own hand than go back there again. I've even suggested going to a completely new area then, but that will mean daughter having to start all over again with friends and new curriculum and I honestly couldn't put her through that again...she's already gone through 2 schools since being back here in Red Deer (2005). If I have to go back on my own, then so be it.....I'll do just that, but then OH has cut off his nose to spite his face because the house will HAVE to be put on the market and sold as we absolutely rely on my wage to pay half the mortgage!! It's a no-win-situation on his part really. He'll be miserable and depressed in the UK, whereas I'm that here....does that mean that we're both doomed in our relationship??

Last edited by Ruby Murray; Feb 20th 2008 at 3:43 am. Reason: cut some out and added a bit more!
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Thanks Nic & JoJo......

My 10 y.o. daughter would/will be in Yr 7 in September and I'd love it if she could get in to the High School where her former primary school friends will be going. That would mean returning back to Hyde, Greater M'cr....my OH would rather eat his own hand than go back there again. I've even suggested going to a completely new area then, but that will mean daughter having to start all over again with friends and new curriculum and I honestly couldn't put her through that again...she's already gone through 2 schools since being back here in Red Deer (2005). If I have to go back on my own, then so be it.....I'll do just that, but then OH has cut off his nose to spite his face because the house will HAVE to be put on the market and sold as we absolutely rely on my wage to pay half the mortgage!! It's a no-win-situation on his part really. He'll be miserable and depressed in the UK, whereas I'm that here....does that mean that we're both doomed in our relationship??
That's an awful situation to be in, especially in another country. My OH thought he wanted to stay in OZ, that was until i left him here alone, where he realised life was pointless without us. I hope he comes to his senses for all your sakes.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nic & JoJo......

Hi Ruby!! I am originally from Danebank in Denton...we are looking to return to the U.K in June 08........our last home was near the Windmill pub? do you know the area....it's a nice area and a lot of my family live in Danebank....parts of Hyde are nice and like a lot of areas some not so nice areas......we spent a few evening at the Hare & Hounds...in Werneth Low...now that is an area I would love to live there but we are looking at Marple and areas around it.....as we will loose a lot of money returning home and house prices stalling here so we will rent for a while and see....but we may have to stay at my dads in Danebank at first just to have a good look around...we have been back twice in the last 3 years and we are always impressed by the improvements in a lot of the areas....honestly........Manchester City Centre is tons better than when we left..as is Denton Town Centre........have you thought about staying with relatives for a while? just so you could have a good look around.....do you want to move near to relatives?.....Hyde borders on the Romiley,Nicer parts of Bredbury etc....and go on propery snake sight....brill you can actually see house prices falling........show your husband homes in the Marple (ish) areas...even at first you might have to start "small" (we might have to) but if thats the only way we can work "up" again in time...done it before and we can do it again..........also show your husband the cricket clubs...rugby clubs and football clubs that are in the area's....there are lots of lovely old pubs and you right "smack bang" and some of the most lovely countryside......you know what some men are like...really "off" until you start pointing out things that they might enjoy........
Good luck and hope all turns out for the best......you have a right to be happy..and your daughter will be if you are.....and ofcourse you hubbie...like nu shooz said (solid advice) if you go...I am sure your husband will be on the next plane out after you........
Jackie who has just had a rotten Indian takeaway Curry.....oh cannot wait for a decent curry.....Rusholm here we coooooommmmmmeeeeee
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

DannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant futureDannyCane has a brilliant future

We are still living in the UK, hoping to move to Canada this year (praying hard), so I haven't had the 'don't come back' comments yet.
However, I'm originally from Germany, married a soldier, moved backwards and forwards (UK<>Germany), lived in Hong Kong, Belize...
My family has always said ' why do you want to go there?'. They have themselves never lived in another country.
Now that we plan (hope) to move to Canada, I again hear the same question from my family (my husband's family think it's a great idea), and our friends in Canada ask us 'why do you want to leave the UK?'.
I guess, unless you've done it and been there you'll never understand why people want to change their life for the better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.