Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

"You must be mad to move back here"

"You must be mad to move back here"

Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: "You must be mad to move back here"

Originally Posted by lucy71
Hi

How do you handle people at home saying to you that you must be mad / out of your mind / bonkers to be moving back?

I know we'll get a lot of it when we actually move back to the Uk soon in person too!

Lucy, I feel for you - and I don't handle it well at all. My family are happy that I'll be going home - as for my 'friends' and their negative attitude, that's a different matter. I find it very hurtful and have not yet worked out a way of coping with it
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Your friend is right Carole - we lived in a Melbourne suburb and just couldn't believe how built up it was - so many people had sold their back yards for house building and everywhere was so crammed in. It took an hours drive to see any green fields

On my return home I openly wept when I saw the beautiful British greenery. I now live in a village surrounded by fields and appreciate it so much more
my friend has settled temporarly in upper hutt..NZ..the rental she has is one of 3 built in the garden of the original house.all garden sold off.she says that most people seem to live at the beaches, parks and have an away from home lifestyle..she says the people she has met just dont use their gardens.

mind you she went to see the new seekers in her local park.gold coin entry about 40p sat with friends had a barbie and all the children just played games with their friends and all the families were there with their extended families...grandparents and great grandparents...

she says its like the 6o's in N.Z

carole
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to beholdElaineQ is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mississippi
We're moving back too - well my husband is from the UK - not us, but comments from his parents are along the lines of "it's a mistake", "it's not a good idea" etc. But you know reading a few of the replies you got to your question has made me feel better - we don't need to justify especially to people who have never lived outside of the UK (and my OH is the only one in his entire extended family to have lived outside of the UK). We know why we are going to live there, and if we decided it's a mistake, then that's our decision alone.

You know, I think that people who say that should be forced to emigrate for 5 years. That'd shut the buggers up!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:46 pm

Triboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

How do you handle people at home saying to you that you must be mad / out of your mind / bonkers to be moving back?

I know we'll get a lot of it when we actually move back to the Uk soon in person too!

Unless it's your parents, (in which case tell them to stop reading the Daily Fail ) then just punch em square in the face, BAM!!

When they ask why you did that, just say that you weren't violent before you moved to Oz, but in an effort to get on you've had to act like them, and there are still traces of it in your system.

Remember to thank them for helping you work through it
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triboy
Unless it's your parents, (in which case tell them to stop reading the Daily Fail ) then just punch em square in the face, BAM!!

When they ask why you did that, just say that you weren't violent before you moved to Oz, but in an effort to get on you've had to act like them, and there are still traces of it in your system.

Remember to thank them for helping you work through it
Bloody brilliant
Old Feb 18th 2008, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
Lucy, I feel for you - and I don't handle it well at all. My family are happy that I'll be going home - as for my 'friends' and their negative attitude, that's a different matter. I find it very hurtful and have not yet worked out a way of coping with it
Well, as someone's signature on here says - those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind...

Mr JJS
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by king kong
I have mentioned it to aussies that we may return and they say ''what about the weather '' and wont you miss the laid back lifestyle and everything else we have here .
I cant help but think well i cant wait to get away from the never ending sunny days here in aussie and the burning sun on my back on the costruction sites on a 40 degree day .
I cant wait to get away from the watching the grass grow lifestyle ,i want action and fast moving pace of life with heaps of interesting places to go close to hand .
In regards to everything else here [aussie ] even the aussies struggle to come up wiith anything more exciting than the beach and the barbie ,unless you want a good punch up in northbridge [perth] thatll soon wake you up out of the slumbering lifestyle perth seems to offer but only as long as the sore head and black eye lasts .
Never mind Northbridge...what about Freo....and now Joondalup...and there is some sort of fight that goes on outside two of the pubs (one newly built) in our suburb nearly every weekend.....and it's supposed to be a nice area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my friends sons were out on a Sat night and they were "stabbed" (not serious thank the gods) now that is the second time in 12 months they have been involved in something like that.....they came from the Wirral and often went into Liverpool for a night out....never once did they have any trouble..............Perth is not what it use to be...........
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

lucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud oflucy71 has much to be proud of

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets this sort of response from back home.

Actually thinking about it, close friends and my family are thrilled we're coming back. It's people we don't really know as good friends and the parents in law who are more negative about us coming back (me thinks they wanted to come out here for 3 months a year on holiday or even semi retire! Dashed their plans I reckon - hee hee! )

I have English friends here who run down the UK constantly and ask why on earth would I want to move back. This kind of makes me doubt my decision sometimes even though I know it's just their point of view.

I also get aussies looking at me with almost disbelief as if I'm raving mad to move back to the UK (even though 99.9% of them have never been to the uk!). I kind of get a little satisfaction when I say we're moving back because we've chosen to live in the uk over here. Nothing against australia, just want to be nearer to friends and family. They still don't get it though...

One thing I've learnt from emigrating out here is that the grass is always greener on the other side, but on hindsight, the grass was always green at home, I just didn't appreciate it enough!

Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who gets this sort of response from back home.

Actually thinking about it, close friends and my family are thrilled we're coming back. It's people we don't really know as good friends and the parents in law who are more negative about us coming back (me thinks they wanted to come out here for 3 months a year on holiday or even semi retire! Dashed their plans I reckon - hee hee! )

I have English friends here who run down the UK constantly and ask why on earth would I want to move back. This kind of makes me doubt my decision sometimes even though I know it's just their point of view.

I also get aussies looking at me with almost disbelief as if I'm raving mad to move back to the UK (even though 99.9% of them have never been to the uk!). I kind of get a little satisfaction when I say we're moving back because we've chosen to live in the uk over here. Nothing against australia, just want to be nearer to friends and family. They still don't get it though...

One thing I've learnt from emigrating out here is that the grass is always greener on the other side, but on hindsight, the grass was always green at home, I just didn't appreciate it enough!

We so understand where you are coming from this! We will appreciate our family, friends local knowledge, that means a lot.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

mississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ElaineQ
You know, I think that people who say that should be forced to emigrate for 5 years. That'd shut the buggers up!
And also take away their pension (so they have to work of course) and throw in a couple of snotty nosed brats and I totally agree .

Actually I was just sitting here eating my lunch, thinking about how much eating I'm doing. It's amazingto think that since I live in Bris-Vegas, and it's hot, how much eating and the lack of exercise I do due to me avoiding the sun - no wonder I'm going up a size. I'm not an exercise freak, far from it, but I did spend my time doing lots of hiking and walking before moving to Australia. I now take the car to avoid the sun so I am really looking forward to going for many many walks when we get back to the UK, in normal temperatures, without the mozzies for company.

Bring it on
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

What a timing for a post! I recently went back to the UK for an interview. So I rang my family to tell them the good news. OMG! My brother went absolutely mad on the phone! You're making a big mistake, this country is rubbish, you've got that place out there (which he means my parents-in-law's villa with a swimming pool which isn't MINE). We had a massive massive row. I went to the job interview (sadly didn't get the job) but whilst I was in the UK, I rang my family also to find out how my father is getting on (he's been very sick for some time). My brother put the phone down on me. Now this brother has never ever lived anywhere different in his life. He has spent his whole life living in the same village in Cornwall, in the same house! How can anyone preach to me about life? How can he feel justified? My family have never ever worried about me and I've even been homeless here in Italy. So why all of a sudden is he so interested in me not moving back? Possibly because he came to Italy for my wedding (his first ever visit in the 19 years I have lived here) and saw everything so wonderful and is now planning to come out more often. Bah! Families!
However, this has not deterred me from moving back. In fact, it has made me far more determined. Yet, I can't say that the things that he said and the behaviour of the rest of my family didn't upset me, cos it did.
Fingers crossed I get a call at the end of the week for some other jobs anyway...but I won't be moving anywhere near them!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:28 am
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mississippi
And also take away their pension (so they have to work of course) and throw in a couple of snotty nosed brats and I totally agree .

Actually I was just sitting here eating my lunch, thinking about how much eating I'm doing. It's amazingto think that since I live in Bris-Vegas, and it's hot, how much eating and the lack of exercise I do due to me avoiding the sun - no wonder I'm going up a size. I'm not an exercise freak, far from it, but I did spend my time doing lots of hiking and walking before moving to Australia. I now take the car to avoid the sun so I am really looking forward to going for many many walks when we get back to the UK, in normal temperatures, without the mozzies for company.

Bring it on

That is so true, you do get unfit in Oz as it is to hot to take any exercise, I am a runner and just could not run in Oz due to the heat my health actually suffered in Oz.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

madcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud ofmadcarole has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jojosan
Well, as someone's signature on here says - those who mind don't matter, those who matter don't mind...

Mr JJS

bit confused by this statement ...have i missed something/\/
xx carole x
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornishvellan
What a timing for a post! I recently went back to the UK for an interview. So I rang my family to tell them the good news. OMG! My brother went absolutely mad on the phone! You're making a big mistake, this country is rubbish, you've got that place out there (which he means my parents-in-law's villa with a swimming pool which isn't MINE). We had a massive massive row. I went to the job interview (sadly didn't get the job) but whilst I was in the UK, I rang my family also to find out how my father is getting on (he's been very sick for some time). My brother put the phone down on me. Now this brother has never ever lived anywhere different in his life. He has spent his whole life living in the same village in Cornwall, in the same house! How can anyone preach to me about life? How can he feel justified? My family have never ever worried about me and I've even been homeless here in Italy. So why all of a sudden is he so interested in me not moving back? Possibly because he came to Italy for my wedding (his first ever visit in the 19 years I have lived here) and saw everything so wonderful and is now planning to come out more often. Bah! Families!
However, this has not deterred me from moving back. In fact, it has made me far more determined. Yet, I can't say that the things that he said and the behaviour of the rest of my family didn't upset me, cos it did.
Fingers crossed I get a call at the end of the week for some other jobs anyway...but I won't be moving anywhere near them!

Its sad you wont get any support from your family; but regardless you must do what is right for you regardless of anybody eles' opinion! Good luck
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manghams
Its sad you wont get any support from your family; but regardless you must do what is right for you regardless of anybody eles' opinion! Good luck
Am applying for another job as I 'speak'! Thank you for the support!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.