Yorkshire

Old Mar 9th 2011, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yorkshire

Well after 4+ years in New Zealand we are in the process of hopefully moving home. We still haven't convinced our daughter but are really trying.

Anyhow, we are originally from the Midlands but really like the look of Yorkshire. We need a school for our eleven year old who would go into year 8 in September.

So, does anybody have any suggestions re schools? areas? We love the look of knaresborough but can see it is quite expensive and we won't have much money. The school is the most important thing to us so any help would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Carole
Old Mar 9th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yorkshire

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Well after 4+ years in New Zealand we are in the process of hopefully moving home. We still haven't convinced our daughter but are really trying.

Anyhow, we are originally from the Midlands but really like the look of Yorkshire. We need a school for our eleven year old who would go into year 8 in September.

So, does anybody have any suggestions re schools? areas? We love the look of knaresborough but can see it is quite expensive and we won't have much money. The school is the most important thing to us so any help would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Carole
There are some of the best schools in Yorkshire-

Ampleforth College, Ampleforth College, York - Full Boarding, Day, BOYS: Senior, Sixth , GIRLS: Senior, Sixth

Queen Ethelburga's College, Thorpe Underwood Hall , York - Full/Weekly Boarding, Day, BOYS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep, Senior, Sixth , GIRLS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep, Senior, Sixth

Queen Margaret's School (York), Escrick Park, York - Full/Weekly Boarding, Day, GIRLS: Prep, Senior, Sixth

Ripon Cathedral Choir School, Whitcliffe lane, Ripon - Full/Weekly Boarding, Day, BOYS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep , GIRLS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep.

Reed School, Drax, nr Selby http://www.readschool.co.uk/ (Good school, but be warned, the biggest coal fired power station in Europe right on it's doorstep!)

Some of these institutions are feeder schools to Eaton!

There is a 'golden triangle' in Yorkshire that is known for its very high house prices. It basically runs from a point from the North of Leeds up to Wetherby and then goes over towards York taking in places like Boston Spa.

I am from near York and can I suggest a few of the places just outside of York like Haxby just to the North or Bishopthorpe, Copmanthorpe or even Cawood (known as the Windsor of the North and very close to the Queen Margaret's Girls School) which is a little further South, all nice places and all within good school catchments and within a good distance to most of the independent schools I mention, with the exception of Ampleforth which is a fair way North and Ripon.

And commutable to Leeds if you cannot find work in York. House prices in York itself are expensive.

If I had a daughter I would send her here I think - http://www.queenmargarets.com/

Hope it gives you a few ideas anyway.

Last edited by Jon77; Mar 9th 2011 at 2:06 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 7:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77

Ampleforth College, Ampleforth College, York - Full Boarding, Day, BOYS: Senior, Sixth , GIRLS: Senior, Sixth

Queen Ethelburga's College, Thorpe Underwood Hall , York - Full/Weekly Boarding, Day, BOYS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep, Senior, Sixth , GIRLS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep, Senior, Sixth

Queen Margaret's School (York), Escrick Park, York - Full/Weekly Boarding, Day, GIRLS: Prep, Senior, Sixth

Ripon Cathedral Choir School, Whitcliffe lane, Ripon - Full/Weekly Boarding, Day, BOYS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep , GIRLS: Nursery, Pre Prep, Prep.

Reed School, Drax, nr Selby http://www.readschool.co.uk/ (Good school, but be warned, the biggest coal fired power station in Europe right on it's doorstep!)

There is a 'golden triangle' in Yorkshire that is known for its very high house prices. It basically runs from a point from the North of Leeds up to Wetherby and then goes over towards York taking in places like Boston Spa.

I am from near York and can I suggest a few of the places just outside of York like Haxby just to the North or Bishopthorpe, Copmanthorpe or even Cawood (known as the Windsor of the North and very close to the Queen Margaret's Girls School) which is a little further South, all nice places and all within good school catchments and within a good distance to most of the independent schools I mention, with the exception of Ampleforth which is a fair way North and Ripon.

And commutable to Leeds if you cannot find work in York. House prices in York itself are expensive.

If I had a daughter I would send her here I think - http://www.queenmargarets.com/

Hi,

Thanks so much for your ideas. We just want a good run of the mill secondary school though.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I can only really comment on what I know and that is schools in York -

http://www.york.gov.uk/education/Sch...ols_directory/

The links to each of these secondary schools take you to the OFSTED reports, I would suggest that you have a read over these reports.

You should be able to find the OFSTED reports for all secondary schools in the UK.

York as a rule has a pretty good standard of school compared to other major centres in the North of England and is generally a nice place to live. Many people get around by bike and has a nice environment.

Good luck
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I lived in Knaresborough for years. King James School, the local high school is excellent and most K`boro kids go there. Otherwise Harrogate is on your doorstep and also has good state schools.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

PM me if you want any more info on Knaresborough!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

emmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond reputeemmals has a reputation beyond repute

Yorkshire is gods country!!! Knaseborough, leeds,york all beautiful but pricey, try looking at the suburbs, Ossett, Horbury....fantastic state schools
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Spacecake799

Thanks

Carole
Leeds is probably the most vibrant area with the most facilities and is the second largest financial centre in the UK. The cheaper areas are located south of Leeds in places such as Castleford, Wakefield, etc. as opposed to the "Harrogate side of Leeds" which can be pricey. Places around Ilkley are nice and there is a direct rail link into Leeds (Wharfedale Line) which takes about 15 minutes. Leeds is also easily accessible from Harrogate by rail.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

I came from nr Ilkley and grew up in guiseley all my life - oh the heart yearns !! House prices are quite high, but there are some still a few good deals to be had. The schools are of a good standard. The surrounding villages have vibrant communities and a in the country feel with easy access to Leeds/Bradford. I should have stayed in Burley in Wharfedale - lovely village, fantastic school and great community!! Boo hoo! I would stay away from anything nearer to Bradford. Anyway, good luck with the move back

Yorkshires a great place to start over, friendly people, fab countryside, great pubs!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:10 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I second the recommendation of the Ilkley area. Ilkley itself can be very pricey but the areas around there are all great.

Skipton is also lovely and an easy commute to Leeds.

Finally, the area around Sherburn-in-Elmet is less expensive than those two and still nice. Villages such as South Milford, Church Fenton, Hillam and Barkston Ash are all nice and cheaper than the Ilkley area. There are trains to Leeds from South Milford and York is an easy drive away. This area is flatter than Ilkley and Skipton but still pretty.

Yorkshire is a great choice! Truly God's own country with the friendliest people you'll find anywhere. Good luck!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
I came from nr Ilkley and grew up in guiseley all my life - oh the heart yearns !! House prices are quite high, but there are some still a few good deals to be had. The schools are of a good standard. The surrounding villages have vibrant communities and a in the country feel with easy access to Leeds/Bradford. I should have stayed in Burley in Wharfedale - lovely village, fantastic school and great community!! Boo hoo! I would stay away from anything nearer to Bradford. Anyway, good luck with the move back

Yorkshires a great place to start over, friendly people, fab countryside, great pubs!
Interesting, I came from Ilkley and later lived in Guiseley. Then I later lived in Oakville for a number of years. Guiseley is a perfect location, safe town, 10 minutes to Leeds or Bradford by train for work and shopping, etc. and 10 minutes from Ilkley where you are on the doorstep of some of the finest countryside you will find anywhere. Best of both Worlds. Skipton is now only 30 minutes from Leeds by rail and property prices are lower than Ilkley, as you would expect.

Last edited by johnh009; Mar 10th 2011 at 9:05 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:50 pm
LPC
Just Joined

LPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to allLPC is a name known to all

What about the weather up there? Is it much colder than the south, or just a little?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:45 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77

Not helpful given the context.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LPC
What about the weather up there? Is it much colder than the south, or just a little?
Yes, i would say it does get colder than the South and more rain. It doesn't always get the warmer weather either, however, we are on the right side of the Pennines, so not as bad as Lancs. We may not get the best of the British weather (or the worst), but we make up for it with great people and cozy yorkshire pubs!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=johnh009;9231420]Interesting, I came from Ilkley and later lived in Guiseley. Then I later lived in Oakville for a number of years. Guiseley is a perfect location, safe town, 10 minutes to Leeds or Bradford by train for work and shopping, etc. and 10 minutes from Ilkley where you are on the doorstep of some of the finest countryside you will find anywhere. Best of both Worlds. Skipton is now only 30 minutes from Leeds by rail and property prices are lower than Ilkley, as you would expect.[/QUOTE

mirror image of lives!! Presuming you are not in Oakville anymore? Are u back in the UK of somewhere else in ON?
I was back in Ilkley at Xmas, such a gorgeous town, what i love about it, is you have the backdrop of the dales in the background, yet the town has really good trendy restaurants/bars/shops and always a good atmosphere! Love the river and park too - u take for granted how stunning it is when you live there.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.