Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

York, Durham or Newcastle?

York, Durham or Newcastle?

Old Mar 13th 2003, 6:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default York, Durham or Newcastle?

I'm flying over to visit my husband in England in 2 weeks. We're going to be staying in a cottage in York for a week. We will be without a computer and the only technology we'll have is Steve's cell phone. There is a chance, albeit a slim one that we might hear on our K3........Also of course I would like to check in with you guys here to see if anyone else got good news. Do any of you know if there is an internet cafe or something similar in York? We'll be doing a day trip to Durham and Newcastle as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 14th 2003, 2:55 am
Denis Barlow

Default Re: York, Durham or Newcastle?

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003 19:22:57 +0000, cindyabs
wrote:

>I'm flying over to visit my husband in England in 2 weeks. We're going
    >to be staying in a cottage in York for a week. We will be without a
    >computer and the only technology we'll have is Steve's cell phone. There
    >is a chance, albeit a slim one that we might hear on our K3........Also
    >of course I would like to check in with you guys here to see if anyone
    >else got good news. Do any of you know if there is an internet cafe or
    >something similar in York? We'll be doing a day trip to Durham and
    >Newcastle as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    > Thanks

Try :-
http://www.ymn.net/gateway/

--
Denis

Old Mar 14th 2003, 3:42 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Denis you're a star, THANKS!
Old Mar 14th 2003, 7:06 am
ScarlettHill

Originally posted by cindyabs
I'm flying over to visit my husband in England in 2 weeks. We're going to be staying in a cottage in York for a week. We will be without a computer and the only technology we'll have is Steve's cell phone. There is a chance, albeit a slim one that we might hear on our K3........Also of course I would like to check in with you guys here to see if anyone else got good news. Do any of you know if there is an internet cafe or something similar in York? We'll be doing a day trip to Durham and Newcastle as well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
York is LOVELY. Loads of dinky little streets in the centre with wonderful shops and pubs. Masses to do. Acres of culture and beautiful scenery round about. I have a sister and nephew who live there. There are tons of internet cafes. Also most local libraries in Britain have cheap internet access. If you're into history check out the Yorvik Centre. If you're staying outside the city centre consider buses because it costs a bomb to park if you're not a resident. If you're into bikes you can hire them and most of the roads have separate cycle paths. Take a trip on the river. Soak up the history. Fabulous place. Have a GREAT time.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Mar 14th 2003, 1:21 pm
Denis Barlow

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 04:42:30 +0000, cindyabs
wrote:

>Denis you're a star, THANKS!

Glad to be able to help. Have a great trip.

--
Denis

Old Mar 14th 2003, 1:38 pm
Jockgurl

lol im not biased u understand but I suggest goin a wee bit further
north an seein Scotland lol.Its only a short train ride from newcastle

Old Mar 14th 2003, 4:42 pm
Sursum corda

Originally posted by Jockgurl
lol im not biased u understand but I suggest goin a wee bit further
north an seein Scotland lol.Its only a short train ride from newcastle
Not biased, ha not much, . I DO want to "do" Scotland, but want to do it with at least a week there, rather than a flying day trip. I look forward to it.
Old Mar 15th 2003, 12:51 pm
Denis Barlow

On 14 Mar 2003 06:38:26 -0800, [email protected] (jockgurl) wrote:

>lol im not biased u understand but I suggest goin a wee bit further
    >north an seein Scotland lol.Its only a short train ride from newcastle

Now you're talking! I can't wait to go back and visit Scotland. I may
be a sassenach but I lived in Balloch at the southern tip of Loch
Lomond for 5 years and loved every minute of it. You can't do it
justice in a flying visit though.
--
Denis

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Old Mar 15th 2003, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

jockgurl is an unknown quantity at this point

well when ya plan on goin to scotland let me know,ill get u info an give you the inside scoop on what to go see lol.Wish i was goin
Old Mar 16th 2003, 3:53 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by jockgurl
well when ya plan on goin to scotland let me know,ill get u info an give you the inside scoop on what to go see lol.Wish i was goin
Thanks and by the way say hello to Beantown for me. If you ever decide to venture further afield north of Boston let me know, that's my natal neck of the woods, .
Old Mar 16th 2003, 5:18 am
Mrtravel

Denis Barlow wrote:
    >
    > What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

You have 1/4 of your original life left.
It's like 50 percent off a item that is already 50 percent off.
They don't give the item to you for free.

Old Mar 16th 2003, 5:24 pm
Michael

I am from the Newcastle area, you should find an interent cafe or two in the
city center.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/h/khogue22/index.htm

Old Mar 17th 2003, 11:30 am
Sursum corda

Originally posted by Michael
I am from the Newcastle area, you should find an interent cafe or two in the
city center.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/k/h/khogue22/index.htm
Thanks Michael. My dad's family were Geordies that migrated to Northern Ireland and then to Mass. I want to drink a pint of Newcastle Brown in Newcastle, .