Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

YEARS OF INDECISION FINALLY MAYBE COMING TO AN END

YEARS OF INDECISION FINALLY MAYBE COMING TO AN END

Old Aug 23rd 2014, 7:21 am
Just Joined

rachelblanchard is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YEARS OF INDECISION FINALLY MAYBE COMING TO AN END

This is my fist time posting a question on here, although I have become pretty obsessed with reading posts recently. We have had discussions regarding moving back to the UK for literally years. We have lived in NZ for 8 years and although I love the country , I do not feel settled and now that I have had children, I feel even less so. My parents are absolutely wonderful grandparents and I miss them terribly. I think we have made the decision to come home , although there are still a couple of niggly doubts . These doubts revolve mainly about our children's future. I think to move back to the UK we have to find a place that suits what we want from our lifestyle (our families live in Nottingham and I do not want to move back there ) and also I feel we need to make a fresh start and begin a new chapter in our lives rather than moving back to where we lived before. We would like a place not too far from nottingham, good schools, a nice town, good independent shops, variety of things to do with young children, opportunities for an active outdoors lifestyle...like walking, running, water sports, a sense of community, a real feeling of an English town, .....does it exist?!

So I guess I would like to hear from people who have moved back, good and bad experiences, any advice you would give and also would like to hear of places that people live in that would suit us.

thank you so much ...looking forward to hearing from you xx
Old Aug 23rd 2014, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YEARS OF INDECISION FINALLY MAYBE COMING TO AN END

Originally Posted by rachelblanchard
This is my fist time posting a question on here, although I have become pretty obsessed with reading posts recently. We have had discussions regarding moving back to the UK for literally years. We have lived in NZ for 8 years and although I love the country , I do not feel settled and now that I have had children, I feel even less so. My parents are absolutely wonderful grandparents and I miss them terribly. I think we have made the decision to come home , although there are still a couple of niggly doubts . These doubts revolve mainly about our children's future. I think to move back to the UK we have to find a place that suits what we want from our lifestyle (our families live in Nottingham and I do not want to move back there ) and also I feel we need to make a fresh start and begin a new chapter in our lives rather than moving back to where we lived before. We would like a place not too far from nottingham, good schools, a nice town, good independent shops, variety of things to do with young children, opportunities for an active outdoors lifestyle...like walking, running, water sports, a sense of community, a real feeling of an English town, .....does it exist?!

So I guess I would like to hear from people who have moved back, good and bad experiences, any advice you would give and also would like to hear of places that people live in that would suit us.

thank you so much ...looking forward to hearing from you xx
I came back to Lichfield. It's not too far from Nottingham.
Good schools and a nice community spirit. My neighbours are wonderful. The old lady across the road keeps buying gifts for my 4 year old. The couples next to me are also great people and we're always chatting when we meet.

Nice old town with plenty of history. A big park, Beacon Park, Cathedral in the centre with a market twice a week. Very clean and well maintained.

Check it out. My son is starting Scotch Orchard reception in a week.
Close by we have Tamworth with plenty of big shopping malls, cinema and the Tamworth snowdome with ice skating plus pool and gyms.

I am happy here but my wife thinks it is a bit quiet (she's used to a big city).

Have a look.

Good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, there are plenty of places that tick all your boxes. I live in a village outside Cambridge - 100% tick rare there! But have been around the country and there are loads of possibles.

I guess the trick will be to perch somewhere initially then find the job of your dreams in a location you fancy and work from there! You are wise not to go back whence you came though!

Good luck!
Old Aug 24th 2014, 10:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Quoll, a huge number of places that tick all those boxes. We made a totally fresh start when we returned and decided on Herefordshire, we live in a beautiful village with a few pubs, shops and friendly people. These places are definitely out there and are much more common that people think. We came back with 2 11 year olds and have absolutely no fears for their future.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 4:55 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everyone else. There are plenty of lovely places. I live in Durham which is probably too far away from your family. There is still a real sense of community around our village. I'm sure there are lots of villages like ours around the UK. Good luck with whatever you decide.

We have a 5 year old who has settled into school life very easily.
Old Aug 24th 2014, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

cityboys1911 is on a distinguished road

Chris955 we are coming back to the UK next year having spent 12 years in the US I see you live in a village it sounds nice this is also what we are looking for which village are you in