British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Yay, he has a job! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/yay-he-has-job-905836/)

durham_lad Nov 14th 2017 3:30 pm

Yay, he has a job!

Our son decided last year that he was going to return to live close to us in England, to the small town in the NE where he was born. He is age 34 now and has been working in IT support at a bank for the 10 years since he graduated with a BSc in Comupter Science. He decided it was more important to him to be living in our town close to us and other relatives than finding a job that matched his direct experience. (We moved to the USA when he was 4 so all his education has been in the USA)

He arrived on September 28 and has been living with us. He immediately started house hunting along with all the other stuff that needed to be done such as getting a bank account, registering to vote and applying for and getting a NINO.

He also updated his resume on LinkedIn and registered with job sites including the Jobcentre website

Three weeks ago he was contacted about a job in IT frontline support for transportation systems and after a phone interview and 3 in-person interviews during a visit to the company he was offered, and accepted, a job which he starts on Monday. His American accent and experience turned out to be a big advantage since the company supports the IT systems for the metro systems of London, Miami, and San Francisco. They have recently won the contract to support the metro system in New York City which is why they are hiring more folks. The office is a 14 mile, 30 minute drive from where we live. Pretty much as good as might be expected.

He is also well through the process of buying a house, expecting to hear a target completion date anytime now.

So far so good :fingerscrossed:

feelbritish Nov 15th 2017 6:56 am

Re: Yay, he has a job!

What a lovely heartwarming story! Very pleased for you and of course your son. I believe when things are meant to be, life just slots into place.

petitefrancaise Nov 15th 2017 7:12 pm

Oh that's lovely! So nice to have your family back with you. Good luck to him!

durham_lad Nov 17th 2017 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by feelbritish (Post 12382421)
What a lovely heartwarming story! Very pleased for you and of course your son. I believe when things are meant to be, life just slots into place.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12382974)
Oh that's lovely! So nice to have your family back with you. Good luck to him!

Thanks, we are indeed very fortunate.

DarrenUK Nov 18th 2017 3:29 am

Very inspiring story - congrats. Wish you all the best durham_lad.

Tr1boy Nov 18th 2017 8:43 am

Very nice to hear.

I feel quite lucky now, my commute is 29miles and takes 40 mins . (except on a Friday night where it seems to take 40 days and nights :lol:)

Lion in Winter Nov 21st 2017 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12381929)
Our son decided last year that he was going to return to live close to us in England, to the small town in the NE where he was born. He is age 34 now and has been working in IT support at a bank for the 10 years since he graduated with a BSc in Comupter Science. He decided it was more important to him to be living in our town close to us and other relatives than finding a job that matched his direct experience. (We moved to the USA when he was 4 so all his education has been in the USA)

He arrived on September 28 and has been living with us. He immediately started house hunting along with all the other stuff that needed to be done such as getting a bank account, registering to vote and applying for and getting a NINO.

He also updated his resume on LinkedIn and registered with job sites including the Jobcentre website

Three weeks ago he was contacted about a job in IT frontline support for transportation systems and after a phone interview and 3 in-person interviews during a visit to the company he was offered, and accepted, a job which he starts on Monday. His American accent and experience turned out to be a big advantage since the company supports the IT systems for the metro systems of London, Miami, and San Francisco. They have recently won the contract to support the metro system in New York City which is why they are hiring more folks. The office is a 14 mile, 30 minute drive from where we live. Pretty much as good as might be expected.

He is also well through the process of buying a house, expecting to hear a target completion date anytime now.

So far so good :fingerscrossed:

Excellent news, well done. The Little Lion is off to uni in the UK next September - very much want to follow him...

durham_lad Nov 21st 2017 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12386683)
Excellent news, well done. The Little Lion is off to uni in the UK next September - very much want to follow him...

Thanks.

That sounds very exciting that your son gets to go to uni in the UK next year. Will he have family, friends or others to help him get settled in?

Lion in Winter Nov 21st 2017 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12386686)
Thanks.

That sounds very exciting that your son gets to go to uni in the UK next year. Will he have family, friends or others to help him get settled in?

I will have to go over with him to help him settle, but if he gets his first choice (and he should, unless he totally takes his eye off the ball at school this year) he will be only an hour away from my sister and BIL in one direction, and some grown-up first cousins in the other.

We have been every year since he was little, but holiday is different of course.

On the other hand, I've been here a long time and there are a LOT of moving parts to deal with in terms of getting back as a family.

BEVS Nov 21st 2017 9:13 pm

What a smashing little update.
So pleased to read it is all falling into place .

durham_lad Nov 22nd 2017 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12386688)
I will have to go over with him to help him settle, but if he gets his first choice (and he should, unless he totally takes his eye off the ball at school this year) he will be only an hour away from my sister and BIL in one direction, and some grown-up first cousins in the other.

We have been every year since he was little, but holiday is different of course.

On the other hand, I've been here a long time and there are a LOT of moving parts to deal with in terms of getting back as a family.

It sounds like there should be plenty of support. I can’t imagine how excited and motivated it must be for him.

durham_lad Nov 22nd 2017 11:22 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12386852)
What a smashing little update.
So pleased to read it is all falling into place .

Thank you

Vadio Nov 22nd 2017 5:44 pm

Great news all round!!