British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Would you still uproot? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/would-you-still-uproot-498476/)

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 10:57 am

Would you still uproot?

It seems to me that quite a lot of BE folk in the US exhibit feelings of nostalgia around their sentiments about life in the UK. In some cases they would like to return here - post-haste! Naturally, one's outlook and adaptability varies from person to person, so I'll bear this in mind.

Anyway, my question is......

If you had known what you have lived and experienced today BEFORE taking the plunge to live and work in the US, would you still uproot?

---

lisag8070 Dec 7th 2007 12:37 pm

Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by britex01 (Post 5642974)
It seems to me that quite a lot of BE folk in the US exhibit feelings of nostalgia around their sentiments about life in the UK. In some cases they would like to return here - post-haste! Naturally, one's outlook and adaptability varies from person to person, so I'll bear this in mind.

If you had known what you have lived and experienced today BEFORE taking the plunge to live and work in the US, would you still uproot?

---

I'm going to have a serious think about this....OK done

I would have still come out, just for the experience of it but I wish we had left after the 3yrs was up....instead of renewing...we're finding that the longer we stay here the harder it is for us to go home...eg. we could probably never afford a house back in the UK, my daughter is now completely Americanised, and the most underlying factor is there's no work for my OH in the UK...

But I can't complain we have a good life here, its just every now and then you get a longing to go home...:(

jumping doris Dec 7th 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 5643165)

I would have still come out, just for the experience of it but I wish we had left after the 3yrs was up....instead of renewing...we're finding that the longer we stay here the harder it is for us to go home...eg. we could probably never afford a house back in the UK, my daughter is now completely Americanised, and the most underlying factor is there's no work for my OH in the UK...

But I can't complain we have a good life here, its just every now and then you get a longing to go home...:(

Ditto.
I wish we had come over here when our children were younger and only stayed for 3 years.
Now everyone has settled, bought property, gone to college and it would be hard to uproot. Plus less opportunities back in the UK.
I have a nice life here, lots of friends etc but I preferred my UK life.

Xebedee Dec 7th 2007 12:42 pm

---

Abso-bloody-lutely. :)
The experience of emigrating and what it does to you as far as your outlook on life is a truly amazing and unique experience. You become a better person in some ways because of it.

Thats all I can add to your very accurate statement.

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 12:50 pm

Thanks for your own input, lissie... And hey - the horse came home! Sir Lancelot rides again! ... :p ... :D

That aside... I understand this particular topic has been raised before, possibly before I joined BE. However, there may be questions I want to ask of folk who post answers. Also, there are new members here.

--

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5643173)
...I have a nice life here, lots of friends etc but I preferred my UK life.

In what way? Social? Culture - what?

--

Ray Dec 7th 2007 1:05 pm

I have fond memories of my past when it suits me ...

After 10 years would I go back ...Not a chance ...

ladyofthelake Dec 7th 2007 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by jumping doris (Post 5643173)
Ditto.
I wish we had come over here when our children were younger and only stayed for 3 years.
Now everyone has settled, bought property, gone to college and it would be hard to uproot. Plus less opportunities back in the UK.
I have a nice life here, lots of friends etc but I preferred my UK life.

We came over when our kids were 4 and 6, with a 3 year visa. Even after 3 years, we were too imbedded here to return. We'd bought a house, the kids were Americanised. It was hard to uproot, and it felt too soon to move back. Now we've been here 6 years, it's even harder, plus we're all LPR's now, even more reasons not to go back. I can't complain though. I like living here and have learned to adapt to the lifestyle. I liked my life in the UK too. If I knew before we left that it would become a permanent move, I probably would still have come, as the experience would have been hard to resist. Just didn't really appreciate what we were giving up at the time, until it was gone.

jumping doris Dec 7th 2007 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by britex01 (Post 5643218)
In what way? Social? Culture - what?

--

We lived in an odd place in the UK, a small town near the sea. The size of most villages but not a villagey feel. Hard to describe. We were close to Liverpool and not far from Manchester and I just felt the whole place buzzed.

Here we live in the 'burbs and we have a nice house, lovely garden, semi rural and we do tons of stuff. When my daughter graduated last Summer we invited over a hundred friends (hers and ours) and I mean friends not just people we had met, to her party.
The city here is a bit dead and I miss city life.
But all of that is just here, I'm sure there are many places in the States where we could have perhaps found the same lifestyle we had in the UK but for the moment we are tied to this place.

There is lots I love about the US and I do feel it offers a lot of opportunity for my children and there is a can do attitude here which I do think is slightly missing a bit in the UK. Also there are many places I can't wait to visit etc. etc.

However, with hindsight, I preferred my old life but that doesn't mean this isn't a good one.

nethead Dec 7th 2007 1:43 pm

---

No.

YorkshirePudding Dec 7th 2007 2:07 pm

---

Yeah, what everyone else said.

I miss home (I still call it home) really badly sometimes...it comes in waves. Like Ray said, I have fond memories of my past when it suits me. My nostalgia seems to be particularly strong just after a visit from my family.

And like everyone else, I have a better lifestyle, more money, and feel there are more opportunities here for me and my family.

After 3 years here, I probably won't be going home anytime soon, no.

anabella Dec 7th 2007 2:11 pm

And always wonder what it would have been like to be here had I moved?.. no way..

BritGuyTN Dec 7th 2007 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5643239)
I have fond memories of my past when it suits me ...

After 10 years would I go back ...Not a chance ...

this is very similar to my own pesonal feeling

even if i got divorced I would not go back to the uk now after being here for nearly 5 years (wow, did i just type 5 years?)

ElaineQ Dec 7th 2007 3:12 pm

---

Yes. Without a doubt. I believe my life would have been much harder had I stayed in England. I had a lot of growing up to do, and I've done it. I had to remove myself from the life I had in the UK to do this. I am destined to go back there, but America will definitely not see the back of me - I owe her too much for that, and of course my OH and daughter are American. A complicated love affair, I think! I can't explain the feeling I have when I go to England. It's as if I'm the missing piece in the jigsaw puzzle, rather than England being the missing piece of me. I have no illusions about going back. People have their own lives, and I have come to terms with the fact that most close friendships I had no longer work - some never did, they were abusive - and won't be there when I get back. I'll be starting all over again. Yes!!! :thumbup:

candy wy. Dec 7th 2007 3:15 pm

There is nothing I would of changed, although life is different here. I will not return to the uk anytime soon. The uk is somewhere to visit for me but not to live.

Roland Hulme Dec 7th 2007 3:22 pm

What a brilliant thread and such interesting responses.

I think everybody knows my feelings - although if I had limitless resources and opportunities, I'd probably pick France over America OR England.

But definitely not England. Ever since I left for the first time in 2000, I've never wanted to live there again and didn't like the three years I had to.

tonrob Dec 7th 2007 3:24 pm

---

I'm approaching 3 years in and despite a couple of years of really bad homesickness I'm actually feeling quite settled now - so no.

Serenity Dec 7th 2007 3:47 pm

Well I spent 4 years there and have now been back in the UK for 5 (it doesn't feel that long!)

For probably about 98% of the time I am glad I went there first instead of the husband moving here as was the original plan. I am a different person than I would have been had I not had the experience.

For 2% of the time when I look back... well I had a life before I moved, uni, friends, went out about 4 nights a week, was in the last year of my degree and planning on doing a PGCE. Then I was nothing, trapped in an apartment, no friends and on a completely different wavelength from everyone I met and no-one could understand a word I said. I didn't realise till afterwards but for at least a year I was clinically depressed. I put on tons of weight, I couldn't cope with going out by myself, I quit my job and stayed at home in my nighty, crying. So for 1% I look back and feel my life was stolen from me, and for the other 1% I regret not being mentally well enough to fully enjoy the experience for the first couple of years. But by year 4 I was fully integrated and happy and we almost chose to stay!

I sometimes I look back and imagine a life I could have had without moving to the US and there is not so much isolation and depression in it and I have a career. But then when I just remember the here and now I love my life, I have a wonderful husband, a little boy who is a complete joy, fab friends, a nice place to live, and who's to say another path would've led to this?

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Serenity (Post 5643661)
Well I spent 4 years there and have now been back in the UK for 5 (it doesn't feel that long!)

For probably about 98% of the time I am glad I went there first instead of the husband moving here as was the original plan. I am a different person than I would have been had I not had the experience.

For 2% of the time when I look back... well I had a life before I moved, uni, friends, went out about 4 nights a week, was in the last year of my degree and planning on doing a PGCE. Then I was nothing, trapped in an apartment, no friends and on a completely different wavelength from everyone I met and no-one could understand a word I said. I didn't realise till afterwards but for at least a year I was clinically depressed. I put on tons of weight, I couldn't cope with going out by myself, I quit my job and stayed at home in my nighty, crying. So for 1% I look back and feel my life was stolen from me, and for the other 1% I regret not being mentally well enough to fully enjoy the experience for the first couple of years. But by year 4 I was fully integrated and happy and we almost chose to stay!

I sometimes I look back and imagine a life I could have had without moving to the US and there is not so much isolation and depression in it and I have a career. But then when I just remember the here and now I love my life, I have a wonderful husband, a little boy who is a complete joy, fab friends, a nice place to live, and who's to say another path would've led to this?

This indeed, reveals an admixture of emotions about your early days in the States. But it's your last ten words that shows it was all worth while in the end, proving to us all that, sometimes, life as though shifts its uncertain weight against us, to then happily, surprisingly, shift the course of fate back in our favour.

Enjoy your here and now.

;)

----

Mallory Dec 7th 2007 4:48 pm

When I go back to the UK and the weather behaves, I really like it. If the weather is awful, rainy, windy, cold - I don't like it.

I love going back for holidays, but it's not the same since my mum died.

Like Ray, I have great memories, but I like the life here too much to go back.

I just can't get used to everything being so crowded. Stuff is so expensive. Packing groceries in bags myself, the horra! Car parks with no empty spots. Banks with no drive through. All my relatives have stick shifts, and I can't drive them. No right on red.

On a beautiful summer day, you can't beat the UK though. But oh, I forgot about those huge traffic jams to get to the coast! ... and no AC.

Triumphrob Dec 7th 2007 5:00 pm

---

No. After 21 years I hate it here, but Im older and it would be difficult to start again, and im to established here. I guess Im in Limbo!

Circus-of-Power Dec 7th 2007 5:30 pm

Its been 4 years since the first visit and a full 2 and a bit years since the full blown move. Apart from 2 awful bouts of homesickness in the first few months after the second move things have worked out pretty good ....Life had been sweet back in the UK and I'd had a rollicking good time for the first 38 years of my life, but it was time to change ......and so onto the USA ....Bored people before with how good the quality of life is here in this backwater ..yes there are few obvious drawbacks but you just work out another game plan to compensate.
I'll always be English ..I'll always hanker for a few certain things ....but at this point I doubt I'd move back to the UK ...a vacation would be nice ....but then again there are all those other places in the world I want to see first ...so maybe in a decade or so I'll go back ...

Britinsac Dec 7th 2007 5:50 pm

I found out this week that the company I work for is being bought by a UK company. When I got home I told my kids we would have to go back to live in England. My son said "Not no but hell no" "My daughter said "I wont have any friends, we will have to live back in a tiny house, we won't have a pool, it will rain all the time,I would rather stay here".

Thank heavens I don't have to go because they want more people here not there. Phew!

But like most people I miss some things.. it's inevitable. Even after 5 years food tastes different, a tomato doesnt taste like a UK tomato etc. I am sure if we went back we would miss things here too. Can't have everything can we?

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 7:15 pm

Overall, some interesting and genuine answers to my thread. I think on the whole it seems that a good many of you possess fond memories of the time you lived here in the UK, but eventually adapted and settled into your new environment.

Others of you are as if still torn between our two continents - Europe and the United States, for reasons of individual ties and national sentiment. Yet others of you wouldn't consider moving back to your native ties under any circumstances (to visit, maybe).

I ask these questions because I am half in, half out, in terms of moving from here to there. My wife is true blood American. She would like me to move - eventually. When I was last in the States I felt reasonably at 'home'.

Perhaps I ought give it a full year... see how I feel. I'm freelance, so job searching wouldn't be the criterion. Environment and sociability would. Oh, and good horseback riding country! .. :D

---

lisag8070 Dec 7th 2007 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by britex01 (Post 5644324)
Overall, some interesting and genuine answers to my thread. I think on the whole it seems that a good many of you possess fond memories of the time you lived here in the UK, but eventually adapted and settled into your new environment.

Others of you are as if still torn between our two continents - Europe and the United States, for reasons of individual ties and national sentiment. Yet others of you wouldn't consider moving back to your native ties under any circumstances (to visit, maybe).

I ask these questions because I am half in, half out, in terms of moving from here to there. My wife is true blood American. She would like me to move - eventually. When I was last in the States I felt reasonably at 'home'.

Perhaps I ought give it a full year... see how I feel. I'm freelance, so job searching wouldn't be the criterion. Environment and sociability would. Oh, and good horseback riding country! .. :D

---

Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated...:lol:

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 5644430)
Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated...:lol:

I assume you crack a good whip, then? ... :cool:

---

lisag8070 Dec 7th 2007 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by britex01 (Post 5644546)

---

nope not me....thats Elvira's job...;)

Tracym Dec 7th 2007 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by britex01 (Post 5644546)

---

We're the Borg (sp?).

Silly Sod Dec 7th 2007 8:41 pm

---

wouldn't change a bleedin thing mate. I've said it before and I'll say it again - me mam told me before I left - son, if you don't go you'll spend your life wondering what if. Well sod that. You make your bed and you lie in your own piss lol.

Tracym Dec 7th 2007 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5644592)
wouldn't change a bleedin thing mate. I've said it before and I'll say it again - me mam told me before I left - son, if you don't go you'll spend your life wondering what if. Well sod that. You make your bed and you lie in your own piss lol.

Some of us get out and go to the bathroom for that...

:p

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5644576)
We're the Borg (sp?).

Tch, such a racket you make! ...:D

----

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Silly Sod (Post 5644592)

And my mum... well, she said, "Be it north, south, east or west you're travelling.... Good luck. Now sod off!

:(

--

Silly Sod Dec 7th 2007 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 5644606)
Some of us get out and go to the bathroom for that...

:p

Depends how lego'd you happen to be :)

britex01 Dec 7th 2007 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Triumphrob (Post 5643926)
No. After 21 years I hate it here, but Im older and it would be difficult to start again, and im to established here. I guess Im in Limbo!

21 years is long time, Triumphrob (Triumph motorbikes by any chance?).

You're older, so am I. You're established there, I am established here. You hate where you are, I like where I'm at. Which is harder to leave... what you hate or what you enjoy? Because here I'm sat thinking about moving to 'start' again, away from what I enjoy and from what is quite stable.

----

Ariel the Mermaid Dec 7th 2007 10:56 pm

I'll try and not make this into a 'waffle'
When I were a lass, I used to wonder what if....If I move, get married, buy this car etc. etc. As i got older I started to live in the moment, in the here and now - I went to Australia for work for 6 months and had a blast, loved every minute of it and didn't really miss the UK, maybe because I knew I would be going back.
I met my USC husband 4 years ago while we both worked on the same project in London, he hated London (mostly the weather) so he came back to CA, I came over for a visit the first year he was back..... it took me 3 years to finally make the commitment to move here permanently,(after toing and froing 6-7 times a year) we got married and have a great life - I don't miss the UK per se, I sometimes miss my family, but I think because I'm 'in the moment' I don't really yearn for or miss anything. I'm lucky that I still work freelance for my UK company from home so don't have to worry about the money side, but I do miss social interaction, so I got a couple of volunteer jobs so i can chat to people :-)

Would I go back to the UK to live permanently - No way, but then again, i'm lucky that I can go back regularly for work, so I guess my circumstances are quite a bit different from most of you, in that I still have the best of both worlds :thumbup:
I guess the point i'm trying to make is that it was my choice to come here and I choose to be happy in the moment :D

Poppy girl Dec 7th 2007 11:43 pm

---

HELL YES 100% no regrets.
I earn more money then I ever have in my life, work for the nicest people possible, I have 2 cars,money in the bank,travel all over the US, the climate suits me....Regrets I have none Thank you :)

Bob Dec 8th 2007 12:06 am

---

yes...because you won't appreciate things without taking the chance and it makes life interesting, hindsight is all well and good, but it could also make life awfully boring too.

Patrick Hasler Dec 8th 2007 12:19 am

I would still uproot :)

I go back about once every year or so and look foreward to seeing my old friends and family etc but after 10 days or more I can't wait to come home.
Last time we went ... to my Dads funeral actually, we stayed with some old friends who have no idea what it's lie here apart from watcjing TV shows, they have an Ex- council house in Daventry, in some dead end sleazy sgit road full of cars parked ontop of others so you have to ask 3 people to move theirs just to get yours out, noisy drunks wandering by every night and a poclet handkercjief lawn in a small back yard and wonder why a would rather come home than go back and live there when all I have here is a future, a higher paid job than I could ever have there, a nice house and garden and security, a British company pension that is alomost doubled here and will retire 10 more well off than I would there.

F**k living back there.

Rushman Dec 8th 2007 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 5645179)
I would still uproot :)

I go back about once every year or so and look foreward to seeing my old friends and family etc but after 10 days or more I can't wait to come home.
Last time we went ... to my Dads funeral actually, we stayed with some old friends who have no idea what it's lie here apart from watcjing TV shows, they have an Ex- council house in Daventry, in some dead end sleazy sgit road full of cars parked ontop of others so you have to ask 3 people to move theirs just to get yours out, noisy drunks wandering by every night and a poclet handkercjief lawn in a small back yard and wonder why a would rather come home than go back and live there when all I have here is a future, a higher paid job than I could ever have there, a nice house and garden and security, a British company pension that is alomost doubled here and will retire 10 more well off than I would there.

F**k living back there.

****ing traitor.

lolly Dec 8th 2007 12:26 am

Have been here nearly 5 years this time and it has flown by - but we have lived in 3 states in that time !!! Now I think !!! settled in Texas , been back to England but was glad to get home. To me home is where my Husband Sons and Dogs are. Probably easier for me as both my Parents are dead but still have Sisters and good friends there. We have lots of visitors and spend more time together in 2 week visits than we did in England in a year.