Would you still uproot?

Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:20 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Yep. I hear this all the time. Mainly from Yanks who have never travelled!
You have met my ex husband then
Old Dec 8th 2007, 4:33 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
... My ancestry is German and Swedish (and I've visited Germany) so if I "relate" to any other cultures, it's those..
What a combination! ...

I have travelled Sweden extensively, from Gothenburg to Malmo and Stockholm and farther north. It's as though a bloody great vacumm cleaner (likes yours!) sweeps daily across that country... it's so pristine - like the folk! ...

Germany, on the hand, retains greater character overall.

---
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:50 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Mmmm. Its the subtleties which interest me these days. The flash-bang differences are pretty obvious between our two cultures, but it seems the reasons why Americans are a certain way are often a bit intangible.
You mention the settlers and the revolution. The settlers were us tho , it was the English doggedness that hacked the forests away to make way for roads and villages. I wonder if the American spirit only had its full expression in the colonial rebellion (sorry, revolution ) and the true evolution of that identity began at that point. Stating the obvious, true, but its odd that the events prior to 1776 rarely are connected to English history the way they should be. There is scant evidence of English culture present in America today, other than the language. Compared with the other immigrant nationalities, we are in the shadows, as it were.

Yet Americans, frequently claim a great affinity towards England.

Oh, bugger, that read back like a history o-level question.

Yes, but you know, as re the English settlers here, there were some of course who came to worship the way they wanted to, ones who came to escape political persecution, some who came to make a fortune and some folks who just had an itch. That itch thing I think is remarkable-there's no "cause" as such, just a bit of "oh well, what the hell, why not! " THAT is what is neat, not unlike the Brits going to Oz these days.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 6:53 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

lol well sure, it was "you-all" in the first place And I suspect our national identity was formed, in the "rebellion" . At that point, those here decided NOT to be English - but to be American.

I don't think there's much evidence of any culture here but American - or rather, there's bits of all sorts of cultures laying around here.

Feeling an affinity towards England - well not myself, not at all. It's a foreign country that I've never visited. My ancestry is German and Swedish (and I've visited Germany) so if I "relate" to any other cultures, it's those.

No criticism of the UK there - just that I don't identify with it any more than any other country personally.
Well, the pockets of WHO settled WHERE here, kind of is what drives the train.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:37 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Well, the pockets of WHO settled WHERE here, kind of is what drives the train.
Well, this about sorts that then, doesn't it? ...

---
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:39 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by britex01
Well, this about sorts that then, doesn't it? ...

---
Ayuh, does.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:45 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

In a heart beat. Although because of the scale of the US its kinda like comparing the UK to all of Europe. Each state in the US being like its own country. Some states I love, others not so much.

If you had known what you have lived and experienced today BEFORE taking the plunge to live and work in the US, would you still uproot?

---
Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:51 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pony
In a heart beat. Although because of the scale of the US its kinda like comparing the UK to all of Europe. Each state in the US being like its own country. Some states I love, others not so much.
That is so true. As an American I find vast differences between states as well. I'm not keen on the Midwestern states. I'm more for the coastal ones like Virginia and Oregon. With regards to the scale you could fit all of England in the state of Michigan and still have some room left over.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:26 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by ugacrew
... With regards to the scale you could fit all of England in the state of Michigan and still have some room left over.
And one could fit the entire Brtish Isles in Texas, the largest State in America.

---
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

And one could fit the entire Brtish Isles in Texas, the largest State in America.

---
But I'm sure it would frantically struggle to get out... like those kids in the vacuum...
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:30 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

---
The largest state in America is Alaska.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
The largest state in America is Alaska.
I love to see a good man blush...
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:34 pm
Sursum corda

I love to see a good man blush...
I'd love to see Alaska,
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd love to see Alaska,
Me too.

But isn't it a lovely mental image - the British Isles landing in Texas of all places?

I'm just sure the new inhabitants would be just SO delighted.... LOL they'd have the opposite problem at the Mexican border!

Tongue in cheek here guys...
Old Dec 8th 2007, 9:44 pm
Riding on silver wings

I'd love to see Alaska,
I want to see Alaska too. It's absolutely gorgeous up there and I'd love to take a train tour of the country side just to see everything without having to drive. I'd also like to take a cruise to see some of the glaciers that we have. I'd love to see one fall in the water and take a pic with my cam. Anytime I watch a nature or travel show, I'm reminded there's so much to see here. I have yet to see the Grand Canyon, Niagara Falls, Yellowstone National Park, or Arches National Park in Utah. One of these days I'll plan a road trip and see all those things at once after I see Alaska.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.