Would you still uproot?

Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:47 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still uproot?

Originally Posted by Tracym
We're the Borg (sp?).
Tch, such a racket you make! ...

----
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:53 pm
In yonder hills

britex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond reputebritex01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
wouldn't change a bleedin thing mate. I've said it before and I'll say it again - me mam told me before I left - son, if you don't go you'll spend your life wondering what if. Well sod that. You make your bed and you lie in your own piss lol.
And my mum... well, she said, "Be it north, south, east or west you're travelling.... Good luck. Now sod off!

--
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:56 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Some of us get out and go to the bathroom for that...

Depends how lego'd you happen to be
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:20 pm
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
No. After 21 years I hate it here, but Im older and it would be difficult to start again, and im to established here. I guess Im in Limbo!
21 years is long time, Triumphrob (Triumph motorbikes by any chance?).

You're older, so am I. You're established there, I am established here. You hate where you are, I like where I'm at. Which is harder to leave... what you hate or what you enjoy? Because here I'm sat thinking about moving to 'start' again, away from what I enjoy and from what is quite stable.

----

Last edited by britex01; Dec 7th 2007 at 9:25 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Ariel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to all

I'll try and not make this into a 'waffle'
When I were a lass, I used to wonder what if....If I move, get married, buy this car etc. etc. As i got older I started to live in the moment, in the here and now - I went to Australia for work for 6 months and had a blast, loved every minute of it and didn't really miss the UK, maybe because I knew I would be going back.
I met my USC husband 4 years ago while we both worked on the same project in London, he hated London (mostly the weather) so he came back to CA, I came over for a visit the first year he was back..... it took me 3 years to finally make the commitment to move here permanently,(after toing and froing 6-7 times a year) we got married and have a great life - I don't miss the UK per se, I sometimes miss my family, but I think because I'm 'in the moment' I don't really yearn for or miss anything. I'm lucky that I still work freelance for my UK company from home so don't have to worry about the money side, but I do miss social interaction, so I got a couple of volunteer jobs so i can chat to people :-)

Would I go back to the UK to live permanently - No way, but then again, i'm lucky that I can go back regularly for work, so I guess my circumstances are quite a bit different from most of you, in that I still have the best of both worlds
I guess the point i'm trying to make is that it was my choice to come here and I choose to be happy in the moment
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01
It seems to me that quite a lot of BE folk in the US exhibit feelings of nostalgia around their sentiments about life in the UK. In some cases they would like to return here - post-haste! Naturally, one's outlook and adaptability varies from person to person, so I'll bear this in mind.

Anyway, my question is......

If you had known what you have lived and experienced today BEFORE taking the plunge to live and work in the US, would you still uproot?

---
HELL YES 100% no regrets.
I earn more money then I ever have in my life, work for the nicest people possible, I have 2 cars,money in the bank,travel all over the US, the climate suits me....Regrets I have none Thank you

Last edited by Poppy girl; Dec 7th 2007 at 11:52 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britex01

If you had known what you have lived and experienced today BEFORE taking the plunge to live and work in the US, would you still uproot?

---
yes...because you won't appreciate things without taking the chance and it makes life interesting, hindsight is all well and good, but it could also make life awfully boring too.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I would still uproot

I go back about once every year or so and look foreward to seeing my old friends and family etc but after 10 days or more I can't wait to come home.
Last time we went ... to my Dads funeral actually, we stayed with some old friends who have no idea what it's lie here apart from watcjing TV shows, they have an Ex- council house in Daventry, in some dead end sleazy sgit road full of cars parked ontop of others so you have to ask 3 people to move theirs just to get yours out, noisy drunks wandering by every night and a poclet handkercjief lawn in a small back yard and wonder why a would rather come home than go back and live there when all I have here is a future, a higher paid job than I could ever have there, a nice house and garden and security, a British company pension that is alomost doubled here and will retire 10 more well off than I would there.

F**k living back there.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I would still uproot

I go back about once every year or so and look foreward to seeing my old friends and family etc but after 10 days or more I can't wait to come home.
Last time we went ... to my Dads funeral actually, we stayed with some old friends who have no idea what it's lie here apart from watcjing TV shows, they have an Ex- council house in Daventry, in some dead end sleazy sgit road full of cars parked ontop of others so you have to ask 3 people to move theirs just to get yours out, noisy drunks wandering by every night and a poclet handkercjief lawn in a small back yard and wonder why a would rather come home than go back and live there when all I have here is a future, a higher paid job than I could ever have there, a nice house and garden and security, a British company pension that is alomost doubled here and will retire 10 more well off than I would there.

F**k living back there.
****ing traitor.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:26 am
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Have been here nearly 5 years this time and it has flown by - but we have lived in 3 states in that time !!! Now I think !!! settled in Texas , been back to England but was glad to get home. To me home is where my Husband Sons and Dogs are. Probably easier for me as both my Parents are dead but still have Sisters and good friends there. We have lots of visitors and spend more time together in 2 week visits than we did in England in a year.

Last edited by lolly; Dec 8th 2007 at 12:32 am.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
****ing traitor.
Aren't we all ? ..... You just feel bad because you live in an even more back wood place than me.

You have yo look at it this way mate ..... a 100,000 pound pension is a $200,000 pension when I am here ... and it's still growing !

Too many f**kin imigrants back there anyway !
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:29 am
In yonder hills

Originally Posted by Bob
yes...because you won't appreciate things without taking the chance and it makes life interesting, hindsight is all well and good, but it could also make life awfully boring too.
Ah, you're stirring awake the 'adventurer' in me. I've travelled many times over many years but I have not hitherto ventured into becoming a 'settler' in a foreign land. My roots here in England are not so much family but perhaps, familiarity. And hell, there's no harm in that so long as it isn't too restrictive.

I see it that perhaps I will give America a 'try' but retain an open door. After all, the only reason I would be doing this is because I'm married to an American who recently returned to the States because she couldn't settle here away from... Hmmmm...well, family and the 'American way'.

What's that saying? ... 'Home is where your heart is'?

----
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:58 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

No we wouldn't
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:01 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
Aren't we all ? ..... You just feel bad because you live in an even more back wood place than me.

You have yo look at it this way mate ..... a 100,000 pound pension is a $200,000 pension when I am here ... and it's still growing !

Too many f**kin imigrants back there anyway !
$200,000 pension wtf did you do?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

surly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond reputesurly has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I came to the US as as a recently married couple, I think I assimilated in about 3 days. I don't have many fond memories of the UK, I grew up in a s**thole of west London and went to a bog standard comp. school so what is there to miss. I have two boys born here and and only go back for a visit on my wife's insistence. I have no desire to ever go back even for a visit.
I've lived in Seattle and San Francisco, should I miss the Ealing, Hounslow area of London, I don't think so. I might add I tried to find a decent job outside of London but was given an opportunity to work in the US and never regretted coming here for a second.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.