Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Would you retire in the UK?

Would you retire in the UK?

Old Nov 11th 2014, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

London1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to allLondon1947 is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you retire in the UK?

Originally Posted by nun
Sorry, your understanding of your taxes is a little lacking. If you fall below taxable thresholds this might all be semantics, but you are definitely not filing your US or UK taxes correctly according to IRS and HMRC rules and how they are modified by the treaty.

If you fall below filing thresholds then there is no issue, but to correctly assess the thresholds in the US and the UK you need to correctly attribute taxable income to either the US or the UK and I don't think you or you CPA is doing that.
Thanks for your info. My understanding of taxes is of course lacking, who isn't but you have given me food for thought as i sure don't want to get in trouble with the IRS or the UK...... Are taxes your occupation? or have you been through this process before.
Old Nov 11th 2014, 11:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you retire in the UK?

Originally Posted by London1947
Thanks for your info. My understanding of taxes is of course lacking, who isn't but you have given me food for thought as i sure don't want to get in trouble with the IRS or the UK...... Are taxes your occupation? or have you been through this process before.
Taxes are just a hobby. I'm a US/UK dual citizen and I've been researching what I need to do if I ever return to the UK to organize my finances and taxes. There are a few amateurs on this website and UK-Yankee.com who have a reasonable understanding of the tax treaty and there are some professionals who are good enough to comment sometimes too.

Don't worry too much about things; the amounts sound quite small....as long as you don't have any other income or investment gains....but try to get things done properly.