Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Would you retire in the UK?

Would you retire in the UK?

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you retire in the UK?

Originally Posted by dunroving
If, say, someone had 30 years' NIC's (35 years now needed to obtain the new flat rate pension), but had some US SS contributions, can they use the SS to "top up" to the 35 years needed for a flat rate pension?
No, the Totalisation Agreement does not come into play since they already qualify for the UK state pension.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 8:40 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
IF, the OP worked in the UK for two years, she would have paid two years worth of class 1 NICs towards a pension. Under the Totalisation Agreement, she can use her US SSA contributions of eight years in order to obtain the mandatory ten years of contributions to qualify for the UK state pension. BUT, she would only be paid a sum equal to two years worth of contributions as a UK state pension and not ten. She may also have made voluntarily contributions for additional NICs, or use a top-up contribution to increase the amount. Of course, the two years of working contributions to the now obtainable UK state pension will bring about WEP for the US SSA payout.

That's assuming the rules for a UK pension remain at the current minimum qualifying period under the Totalisation Agreement, and isn't altered due to the new UK pension rules, and the Totalisation Agreement remains unchanged in respect to UK pension amounts payable.
If the UK pension amount is calculated on 2 years of contributions the WEP amount would be minimal.......I only brought up the idea of using the Reciprocal SS agreement so that the OP could qualify for the UK state pension and then use that eligibility to get other benefits if she wanted to move to another EU country...that actual amount of the pension was incidental.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

theOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond reputetheOAP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
If the UK pension amount is calculated on 2 years of contributions the WEP amount would be minimal.......I only brought up the idea of using the Reciprocal SS agreement so that the OP could qualify for the UK state pension and then use that eligibility to get other benefits if she wanted to move to another EU country...that actual amount of the pension was incidental.
Good point, but not the reason for my post. You understand all of this but others may benefit from understanding the possibilities which lead to your point.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

nun @ post # 47, it was about her being a British citizen & 'Health coverage or benefits if she was to take up ordinary residency in Europe.

https://ehealth.gov.mt/HealthPortal/...e_maltauk.aspx

Portal da Saúde - Ao abrigo de convenções internacionais

International conventions concluded by Portugal covering to protect sickness and maternity

Countries with which Portugal is bound by agreement or bilateral social security convention:

Andorra
Brazil
Cape Verde
Morocco
United Kingdom
Contacts:

Social Security - Sou Cidadão - Segurança Social
Directorate-General of Social Security
Largo do Rato No. 1
1269-144 Lisboa
Phone - Via Social Security - 808 266 266 E-mail : DGSS @ sec-social. en

Portal da Saúde - Ao abrigo de convenções internacionais
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:49 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
nun @ post # 47, it was about her being a British citizen & 'Health coverage or benefits if she was to take up ordinary residency in Europe.
Yes, someone mentioned that to get healthcare in Portugal you needed to have a UK state pension.....I don't know anything about that, but I did see a way for the OP to qualify for a UK state pension using US SS credits if she needed one to quailfy for other benefits.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
]Yes, someone mentioned that to get healthcare in Portugal you needed to have a UK state pension.....I don't know anything about that, but I did see a way for the OP to qualify for a UK state pension using US SS credits if she needed one to quailfy for other benefits.
The first part is certainly true. As to the OP being able to use US credits to get a basic UK pension I've no idea.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Nov 3rd 2014 at 10:02 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

SeattleSheila is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, All. No, I'm not eligible for pension credits. Have to make do with Social Security and my 401(k) retirement savings and cash from sale of my home. I fully expect to pay regular income tax to the IRS for the remainder of my earthly existence.
Old Nov 3rd 2014, 10:01 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SeattleSheila
Thanks, All. No, I'm not eligible for pension credits. Have to make do with Social Security and my 401(k) retirement savings and cash from sale of my home. I fully expect to pay regular income tax to the IRS for the remainder of my earthly existence.
As a US expat living in the UK certain aspects of your US tax will be modified by the tax treaty....as a UK resident HMRC will be your primary taxing authority and you will have to satisfy both HMRC and the IRS.

You may well be able to get a minimal UK state pension by using catch up NI credits and the reciprocal SS agreement. If that helps you in eligibility for other benefits you should look into it.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 8:28 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theOAP
Good point, but not the reason for my post. You understand all of this but others may benefit from understanding the possibilities which lead to your point.
Yes, thanks OAP.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 9:51 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

How does NHS funding actually work? As someone who has worked recently in an nhs clinical commissioning group i can tell you.

There are budgets, and targets for the quantity and quality of treatments. Money belongs to patients ultimately, and this money per patient is aggregated up to the size of a GPs list, and that sum is added to other GPs in the area (county or borough) to get to a total. If an area loses people it loses money. With current immigration a lot of budgets are going up, hence the declared need for more, but theres no lottery involved.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 9:54 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Care is definitely rationed but to meet targets on care given and to husband resources. Which of course leads to unhappy people but its relatively fair and overall its an amazing service fr the admittedly huge price. Cost per patient is public domain.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 10:10 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_grenada
How does NHS funding actually work? As someone who has worked recently in an nhs clinical commissioning group i can tell you.

There are budgets, and targets for the quantity and quality of treatments. Money belongs to patients ultimately, and this money per patient is aggregated up to the size of a GPs list, and that sum is added to other GPs in the area (county or borough) to get to a total. If an area loses people it loses money. With current immigration a lot of budgets are going up, hence the declared need for more, but theres no lottery involved.
I think some people are interpreting lottery incorrectly in this context. If I understand the principle correctly, the extent to which you are likely to get the care you need, when you need, in the manner you need, depends on where you live. That's all it means. All the other stuff about (figuratively) being stopped at the door and told "Sorry, the money's run out" or "take a ticket and if you get the winning number, you'll get treated" is just a reflection of how some politicians and newspapers editors want people to perceive the situation to be.

Like schools, roads, and other public services, where you live makes a difference in the quality of services you get. It's an inescapable fact. I just have no idea of the exact reason why things are this way but I guess it's due to a certain degree of autonomy among local authorities in how they spend the money they are given.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 11:48 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

For an ex-pat considering moving back to the UK, I think it is also important to stress that any rationing that takes place is not of life-saving or essential treatment. Nobody gets told that they can't have their gallstones removed, their appendix out, or their heart surgery because the money has run out. What rationing there is, is of things like fertility treatment, weight loss surgery, counselling, etc.

Rationing is different from waiting lists, which do exist for some operations. Some expensive cancer drugs which only extend life by a few months have been denied because they are not cost-effective, which is a hard decision, but I think a correct one. Transplants are not available for everyone because of a shortage of donors.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 2:16 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
For an ex-pat considering moving back to the UK, I think it is also important to stress that any rationing that takes place is not of life-saving or essential treatment. Nobody gets told that they can't have their gallstones removed, their appendix out, or their heart surgery because the money has run out. What rationing there is, is of things like fertility treatment, weight loss surgery, counselling, etc.

Rationing is different from waiting lists, which do exist for some operations. Some expensive cancer drugs which only extend life by a few months have been denied because they are not cost-effective, which is a hard decision, but I think a correct one. Transplants are not available for everyone because of a shortage of donors.
All health systems have rationing.....there's plenty that US health insurance won't cover...I have friends in their 40s who have spent tens of thousands of dollars on IVF. Personally I spend $5k a year on my US health premiums. I could cut my bill drastically moving to the UK and using NHS....I could even buy a BUPA policy and still be far better off financially. With most plans in the US having deductibles in the thousands of dollars, many people might expect to pay $10k per year for health care.
Old Nov 4th 2014, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

This is just a question .. If you know you are going to spend retirement years in UK can you stop US medicare payments. I likely won't but wondered if you can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.