Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Worth moving back to the UK?

Worth moving back to the UK?

Old Nov 16th 2020, 6:12 am
Just Joined

omair85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worth moving back to the UK?

Hello All, I would really appreciate some advice on whether to move back to the UK or stay in Dubai.

I have been out here since 2010 and wonder what the career prospects could be upon my return to London. I am 35 (qualified accountant) and working as a Financial Controller for an International bank.

Financially, we would save £70k per year in DXB compared to £30k in London.

Reasons for moving:

1. Education - Have two kids 7 and 6 Yr old currently at a British School in Dubai (wife not too impressed with schooling here)

2. Sporting opportunities- My son is an extremely keen and talented cricketer and could really develop well back home, but this could easily wait until he is 11years old.

3. Career - Having been out of the UK for almost a decade, I wonder whether delaying the move to another few years would make it harder to land a good career opportunity back home when we eventually return.

Personally, I would love to stay out here until kids are 11 and then move with the extra savings - but my wife would rather move next year.

Has anyone in a similar situation made the move? What do you think?

Thank you all.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worth moving back to the UK?

Listen to the wife.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 6:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Moving the family for a 7 year old's sporting interests, which at that age could change very quickly, seems extreme, but in any case I suspect that there are more cricket players in Dubai, and better/ more enthusiastic ones, than in the UK.

I'd hold on for another four years @ £40k savings/ yr.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 16th 2020 at 6:54 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2020, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Think you need to have a long talk with your wife - she does not sound too keen on the place and would like to move back next year; you, on the other hand, seem quite happy, and would like to save more money before moving back.

Plenty of posters who have differing opinions from their spouses about when and if to move back.

Maybe she could have longer vacations in the UK?
Old Nov 16th 2020, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

As Pulaski says, cricket is huge in Dubai and the wider region.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omair85
Hello All, I would really appreciate some advice on whether to move back to the UK or stay in Dubai.

I have been out here since 2010 and wonder what the career prospects could be upon my return to London. I am 35 (qualified accountant) and working as a Financial Controller for an International bank.

Financially, we would save £70k per year in DXB compared to £30k in London.

Reasons for moving:

1. Education - Have two kids 7 and 6 Yr old currently at a British School in Dubai (wife not too impressed with schooling here)

2. Sporting opportunities- My son is an extremely keen and talented cricketer and could really develop well back home, but this could easily wait until he is 11years old.

3. Career - Having been out of the UK for almost a decade, I wonder whether delaying the move to another few years would make it harder to land a good career opportunity back home when we eventually return.

Personally, I would love to stay out here until kids are 11 and then move with the extra savings - but my wife would rather move next year.

Has anyone in a similar situation made the move? What do you think?

Thank you all.
I’ve no experience of your industry but if it’s anything like the sector I work in I would say your hunch is correct and that it probably is in fact easier to land a new job at the age of 35 rather than when you’re pushing 40.
Why don’t you start scouting and if a good opportunity presents itself, go for it.
With the shift to teleworking, you might well find you don’t have to live in London or even within commuting distance.
If no good job opportunities come along, stay put and - as somebody’s already suggested - look into the possibility of your wife spending long holidays in the UK.
If that doesn’t satisfy her, do what my friend in Inverness did. Her husband was fed up with the UK and longing to move abroad. She on the other hand was perfectly content in Inverness where she ran a successful business. She told him that, if he was so keen to move, he should go ahead. Once he’d found a job that would support the family and a home for them to live in, she and the kids would follow. He called her bluff and did it and they all moved to Switzerland.
Old Nov 17th 2020, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

coleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond reputecoleio has a reputation beyond repute

You need to decide.
Your kids would need to be in the UK ASAP if they are to benefit from the UK system.
The longer they stay in their expat bubble the more difficult it is for them to make the transition.
You can join the " Look at my fancy/latest SUV" or get your kids.............................I can't be bothered to write anymore.