Reload this Page >

Is it worth moving back to London

Is it worth moving back to London

Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:14 pm
Banned

Matematik is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it worth moving back to London

Originally Posted by Bevm
It's many years since I worked in careers guidance, but I think you should look at the big hotel chains and see what sort of recruitment programmes they have, and also what qualifications they look for for them.
I have found that most hotel recruitment programmes require a degree or some other form of higher education.

Without a degree, the only way is to start at the very bottom and hope you eventually get promoted.

In fact, I would say formal academic qualifications are considered more important in the UK than they are in Australia. Whereas in Australia if you show potential and determination you can get quite far without any qualifications, whereas in the UK the main way of getting promotion is through education, and not having formal qualifications can close a lot of doors.

The problem is a culture has developed in the UK where having a degree is now considered to be the basic level of achievement and deemed the minimum standard to even get your foot through the door and be invited for an interview. The degree doesn't even have to be in a related subject and very often isn't, but some would argue that these days it is essential to finding a decent job.

Last edited by Matematik; Jun 4th 2012 at 6:26 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:29 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matematik
The problem is a culture has developed in the UK where having a degree is now considered to be the basic level of achievement and deemed the minimum standard to even get your foot through the door and be invited for an interview. The degree doesn't even have to be in a related subject and very often isn't, but some would argue that these days it is essential to finding a decent job.
I dont agree with this. I am an accountant but dont have a degree, I followed a different path to achieve my professional designation. This has never been an issue in the UK for me as long as I didnt attempt to go down the road to work at one of the big 4 or whatever they are now. In industry I had the same shot as everyone else.
Here in Canada, having a degree is much more of a requirement for many positions.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 11:38 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I dont agree with this. I am an accountant but dont have a degree, I followed a different path to achieve my professional designation. This has never been an issue in the UK for me as long as I didnt attempt to go down the road to work at one of the big 4 or whatever they are now. In industry I had the same shot as everyone else.
Here in Canada, having a degree is much more of a requirement for many positions.
Yes, in Canada it appears having a degree is all important. I've known people with PHD's doing technical support positions. When I worked in the UK it didn't seem to be as much of a requirement but that may have changed especially with the recession.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

meechalle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matematik
I have found that most hotel recruitment programmes require a degree or some other form of higher education.

Without a degree, the only way is to start at the very bottom and hope you eventually get promoted.

In fact, I would say formal academic qualifications are considered more important in the UK than they are in Australia. Whereas in Australia if you show potential and determination you can get quite far without any qualifications, whereas in the UK the main way of getting promotion is through education, and not having formal qualifications can close a lot of doors.

I have to say I agree with you unfortunately. It does seem like the only way to get ahead these days is with a degree which is a shame. Yes you can still get places but it's a lot harder.

I believe uni and degrees are good thing if you know exactly what you want to do and are really into what your studying but the majority of students I know didn't really like their degree and half are not even using it they just did it for the sake of it. I also think it's ridiculous that you can do a degree and then get work in some other completely opposite field just cause you have a degree.

I find it stupid because university is very expensive and time consuming and can be even harder if you don't do it straight after high school. It is also not an option for some people that may be quite intelligent but do not have the funds or a well off enough family to support them through uni.

I contemplated doing a university degree but have instead opted for a diploma which is 1.5 years I'm still getting an education and I won't wind up with a massive debt at the end.

Last edited by meechalle; Jun 8th 2012 at 1:48 am.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 9:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meechalle
I have to say I agree with you unfortunately. It does seem like the only way to get ahead these days is with a degree which is a shame. Yes you can still get places but it's a lot harder.

I believe uni and degrees are good thing if you know exactly what you want to do and are really into what your studying but the majority of students I know didn't really like their degree and half are not even using it they just did it for the sake of it. I also think it's ridiculous that you can do a degree and then get work in some other completely opposite field just cause you have a degree.

I find it stupid because university is very expensive and time consuming and can be even harder if you don't do it straight after high school. It is also not an option for some people that may be quite intelligent but do not have the funds or a well off enough family to support them through uni.

I contemplated doing a university degree but have instead opted for a diploma which is 1.5 years I'm still getting an education and I won't wind up with a massive debt at the end.
Even back 5 years or so ago, the school my daughter was in was pushing to get all their sixth formers into a uni place. They would try anything, and it seemed to be their rule of success.

For what? It has made no difference at all to the job she does, she would have got it with or without a degree. All she does have is a £10k debt which she is slowly paying off
Old Jun 9th 2012, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Deb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura aboutDeb568 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by meechalle
Oh wow not even for diplomas. a friend mentioned to me they may help you out if you haven't done any other schooling since school and are taking a diploma that may lead to a bachelors degree even if you don't do a degree straight after. I've also looked into going to Scotland or Ireland or somewhere else in Europe as it's a lot cheaper!
You have to have lived in Scotland three years to qualify for free education. There's a fair bit of work up here in Edinburgh in the hospitality industry, but these days it is pretty much all minimum wage or near to, plus tips.

One important thing. If you left before you were 16 so don't have a national insurance number, apply for it online before you come back. It can be a real pain to organise once you get here. You need one to get a job, but without a job because you are a Brit the DWP treat you as if you only want one to enable you to go on benefits.

Plus it means - just in case you can't get work, after all we are in a recession over here - that you can apply for job seekers allowance or whatever they call it these days straight away.