Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

worries about going home.....please help!

worries about going home.....please help!

Old May 12th 2007, 6:40 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worries about going home.....please help!

Originally Posted by Danny B
I'm *not* moaning about the amount of perfectly good law abiding immigrants who come to the UK to work and pay tax, the more the merrier in my opinion, besides they put the British to shame in their work ethics.

I'll say it again, what I do not like are the immigrants who land in the UK with nothing and immediately start claiming benefits without any intention to work. Those bigots who don't like the Polish because they "take all our jobs" are the people who you are referring too.

Yes, although I am a Canadian Citizen I will still be classed as a immigrant in Canada becuase of the way I speak, but I will still pay tax and not be a drain on the government.

Christ what have I started here http://www.lancerregister.com/images...ad/crackup.gif
Well I was doing you all a favour really, you always complain about how boring your lives are in Perth so I thought I'd help brighten your day

Well my afternoon was great, umbrella was up and down more times than a whores drawers but we still had a good laugh.
I don't live in Perth...I have not idea if its boring or not....
Old May 12th 2007, 7:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose
Danny B.....
I think if you havent lived in another country you cant really understand how it feels to want to go home.
anyway,thats my two pennies worth !
I lived in Vancouver in the mid nineties and thought it was the cleanest, safest, most beautiful city in the world. I totally understand about wanting to return home, thats why we are going back to Vancouver...

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you in Canada, all the best to you for when you arrive back in the UK
Old May 12th 2007, 8:39 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Vancouver in the mid nineties and thought it was the cleanest, safest, most beautiful city in the world. I totally understand about wanting to return home, thats why we are going back to Vancouver...

I'm sorry it didn't work out for you in Canada, all the best to you for when you arrive back in the UK
I thought Melbourne was the most beautiful cleanest lovely looking city in the world but I still wanted to come home to the UK

That is why I strongly believe that everyone has the right to be where they want to be and why others shouldn't tell them otherwise
Old May 12th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

i think sometimes we look at how clean somewhere is ,how much bigger can we get a house for the same or less money etc etc,and at the end of the day its still not enough.material things dont always make for happiness do they.
We are certainly going back to the uk with a different and BETTER attitude,we are first to admit that.
its been an experience,the kids have done well out of it,theyve grown in confidence,maybe that wouldve happened anyway.
we are still alive to tell the tale so all is well !!
Old May 12th 2007, 9:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Where abouts in Canada were you just out of curiosity?
Old May 12th 2007, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Danny B.....
i was probably the worst one for slating the uk, to my shame,i thought the grass was greener on the other side.It isnt.The health care here isnt brill. Women are still giving birth in hospital corridors.Some are flown to Montana.Everything is way more expernsive than we thought.The "four seasons" didnt happen as weve had snow til the beginning of may.
It isnt the clean safe place it appeared to be on our reasearch trip.
the list goes on
for some,canada is a great place to live but at the end of the day,we belong in england.
we havent particularly missed family as we've been in touch weekly.
we miss the scenery,the choice of food ,clothes,all the things i said i'd never miss the things that seem petty.
we miss the history,the culture,the places to go,being on the doorstep of europe etc.
yes it has problems ,but so does canada,with drugs,pedophiles,etc
the thing is,they dont report it here much,we have to watch the bbc news to find out whats going on.
each to their own i say,we tried it ,it didnt suit us.
we thought we could turn our backs on our country and forget it,and that didnt work.
we are glad we came for the experience,but are SOOOOOO excited to be going HOME.
I think if you havent lived in another country you cant really understand how it feels to want to go home.
anyway,thats my two pennies worth !
Hi English Rose
Have enjoyed your well balanced posts
Have you managed to get set up in the UK yet house schools etc
Old May 12th 2007, 9:48 pm

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

i think sometimes we look at how clean somewhere is ,how much bigger can we get a house for the same or less money etc etc,and at the end of the day its still not enough.material things dont always make for happiness do they.
We are certainly going back to the uk with a different and BETTER attitude,we are first to admit that.
its been an experience,the kids have done well out of it,theyve grown in confidence,maybe that wouldve happened anyway.
we are still alive to tell the tale so all is well !!
You are so right here englishrose. We lived in a 4 bed, 3 bath house in Oz in a lovely suburb 2 mins from the beach but we were so unhappy due to other factors. We have returned to the UK with a very different approach and see things so differently than when we left here.

I try to see the positives in everything around me now - if it's raining, so what? It's not the end of the world, it's not a flood or a hurricane or an earthquake. I only have one bathroom but hey I've got A bathroom unlike many people in the world. And if someone is using it, it wont kill me to wait except the morning after curry night I don't have my 4 wheel drive anymore but have an old banger instead, but it goes - it takes me where I need to go

I have my family, friends and my life and that is what matters

Last edited by LouiseD; May 12th 2007 at 9:51 pm.
Old May 12th 2007, 10:12 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: worries about going home.....please help!

I live in the USA...I have one very small bathroom...one very small second loo...and a small house...not everything in a new country is bigger or better...just different...
Old May 12th 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

hi Eastbound,
we are waiting to see where my hubby gets a job,to be the deciding factor where we live really.So i cant sort out schools either yet.
He's applying in a number of different areas and we are thinking that if its meant to be in a certain area then he will be offered the job there.
we were like that when we applied to come here,if its right it will happen.
sometimes i think things happen even tho we dont understand the bigger picture,maybe its for the friends weve made while here,or like i said earlier,to change our outlook with regards to the uk..
Old May 12th 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouiseD
You are so right here englishrose. We lived in a 4 bed, 3 bath house in Oz in a lovely suburb 2 mins from the beach but we were so unhappy due to other factors. We have returned to the UK with a very different approach and see things so differently than when we left here.

I try to see the positives in everything around me now - if it's raining, so what? It's not the end of the world, it's not a flood or a hurricane or an earthquake. I only have one bathroom but hey I've got A bathroom unlike many people in the world. And if someone is using it, it wont kill me to wait except the morning after curry night I don't have my 4 wheel drive anymore but have an old banger instead, but it goes - it takes me where I need to go

that rings a bell !
6 bed house,3 bathrooms,double garage......so what.
NO FLIPPING ASDA THO IS THERE ??????

we are looking at moving into a 3 bed house where my youngest boy and girl will share a bedroom.we dont care ,we just want to be back,we will work our way up the property ladder, or maybe we will be happy to extend in a couple of years time.
the rain?? weve got good waterproofs,here it gets to minus 45 and the hairs up your nose freeze.
when its boiling you dont want to go out.
we are looking forward to being able to get out and about most of the year round.
Old May 13th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

that rings a bell !
6 bed house,3 bathrooms,double garage......so what.
NO FLIPPING ASDA THO IS THERE ??????

we are looking at moving into a 3 bed house where my youngest boy and girl will share a bedroom.we dont care ,we just want to be back,we will work our way up the property ladder, or maybe we will be happy to extend in a couple of years time.
the rain?? weve got good waterproofs,here it gets to minus 45 and the hairs up your nose freeze.
when its boiling you dont want to go out.
we are looking forward to being able to get out and about most of the year round.
I can't agree with you more. People who have never been to Canada in the winter cannot imagine how cold it is. Simply put, you can't go out unless you have to. Some mornings you have to dig your car out of 2 feet of snow, and it is 30 degrees below. By the time you have finished a snowplough comes along and buries it in another foot. By the time you get in your car your nose is frozen up and you can't feel your ands even through the thickest gloves.

Canada doesn't really float my boat either, it's a bit of a backwater. Crime is exactly the same as the UK. However a murder will never get on the front page of the national papers, more like page 16 of the local rag. People in the UK also think the crime is low in Canada because it's never in the British news.

Canada is years behind in many ways, in terms of technology, public transport, the environment and more importantly if your earning Canadian money its very expensive, not to mention only 2 weeks holiday per year.

I really dont blame anyone for wanting to go back to the UK
Old May 13th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

hi Eastbound,
we are waiting to see where my hubby gets a job,to be the deciding factor where we live really.So i cant sort out schools either yet.
He's applying in a number of different areas and we are thinking that if its meant to be in a certain area then he will be offered the job there.
we were like that when we applied to come here,if its right it will happen.
sometimes i think things happen even tho we dont understand the bigger picture,maybe its for the friends weve made while here,or like i said earlier,to change our outlook with regards to the uk..
Hi English Rose
Same sort of thing with us , if its meant to be then it will happen I dont think you can plan these things its much less stressful when events are allowed to happen at their own place rather than us forcing them have to admit to pushing things in the past and they never worked out in the long term
Old May 13th 2007, 5:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by LouiseD

Well I think if there was ever a prize for the best 'Born again Brit' you would win it hands down Louise

I am curious to know what it was that made you decide to pack up and move to Australia though. This isn't meant as having a dig at you so don't take it the wrong way, everyone's reason will be different but it does make me laugh when you read through peoples old posts and see them UK bashing and can't wait to leave and then 18months later after having moved back from where ever they emigrated too, singing it's praises
Once again this is not directed at you
Old May 13th 2007, 5:40 pm

Well I think if there was ever a prize for the best 'Born again Brit' you would win it hands down Louise

I am curious to know what it was that made you decide to pack up and move to Australia though. This isn't meant as having a dig at you so don't take it the wrong way, everyone's reason will be different but it does make me laugh when you read through peoples old posts and see them UK bashing and can't wait to leave and then 18months later after having moved back from where ever they emigrated too, singing it's praises
Once again this is not directed at you
Sure hope it isn't directed at me because you won't find any posts from me having a dig at the UK.

I like that term - Born again Brit Thanks.

Am quite proud of that name actually because after living here and getting caught up in the hype of doom and gloom UK I am actually a much more positive happy girl ta very much.

My reasons for emigrating since you ask are for a better life. Everyone harps on about how Oz provides a better lifestyle, better quality of life etc. My life before we left was actually quite good - we just got greedy I think and wanted more. Only now do I realise that another country doesn't always give a better quality of life - it's different. Not better. I'm speaking for myself of course - everyone is different. That's why I wouldn't advise anyone not to go because every case is different.

I think it speaks volumes when people do move away moaning about the UK only to return singing it's praises. People obviously see that the grass isn't always greener and return to appreciate life more. That's why it annoys me when people who haven't lived abroad come onto this website and assume that everywhere else is better than the UK. Everywhere else is perfect, wonderful, no crime, no taxes, lovely people. If only.

Only when you have experienced life in another country can you compare and decide what is best for you.
Old May 13th 2007, 7:09 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
I don't live in Perth...I have not idea if its boring or not....
It is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.