Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

worries about going home.....please help!

worries about going home.....please help!

Old May 12th 2007, 1:16 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worries about going home.....please help!

Originally Posted by carmele
Like I say we have lived near the third most run down estate in the north west and we have had no problems whatsoever with crime, kids, schooling etc. My children currently go to a lovely school, and they are coming on leaps and bounds.

We are taking time out and have decided to go to Oz for how long, who knows? We are going purely for a change of scenery and an experience. We have no short or long term plans just seeing how it goes. We are not going because we fear the UK is going down the pan????

Inner Cities have their problems this is true but we have to think that not everyone living in an inner city 'bad' area wants to be there themselves and are up standing citizens just getting on with their lives, everyone in life has choices and there are always going to be people better or worse of than ourselves, those who are less fortunate doesn't mean they are less values.

C

Carmel

Good post Carmel - you sound like you have the right attitude - no unrealistic expectations and an open mind.

And you aren't running away from anything either - good luck with your adventure
Old May 12th 2007, 1:41 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wafc
That sentence really is a load of crap! And its the typical nonesense that is spouted by people who are in the throws of migrating. It will be interesting to see if your views are the same after 6 months away. Although some people only see one side of a country and feel that things aren't the same in Oz or elsewhere!

The UK has its problems but so does everywhere else in the world but dont come out with crap like that, saying that the people who have moved back are trying to paint a pretty picture and justify their return! What an absolute load of bollox!
Can't agree with you more...
Old May 12th 2007, 1:48 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Well I'm obviously never going to win this argument on a moving back to the UK forum but my final word on the subject is that a vast majority of you seem to move back to the UK because you understandably miss friends and family *not* because the UK is such a great country.

When you eventually get home and surround yourself with loved ones again it does over shadow what it would be really like if you had no surviving family left in the UK. In other words, it's not so much the country you love it's the friends and family in the country you love.

Enough said, I'm going out to enjoy the lovely UK weather, just got to find my unbrella
Errrm, you'd be speaking bollocks then.

I'm moving back to the UK - I don't particularly miss friends and family. I miss them, but not enough to change my lifestyle over. They're not my be all and end all reason for moving back.

When you know of what you speak, then post.
Old May 12th 2007, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that migration from E.Europe is now totally out of control and local authorites are unable to cope. What will this country be like in 10yrs time?

I have respect for the Polish who come to Britian and work hard, which they damn well do. What I object to are the minority (Romanian's normally) who sponge off of the UK taxpayer the moment they land in the UK.

At least in Australia & Canada they have much stricter immigration controls, look at the process that you lot have to go through with waiting times, 4+ years for Canada these days.
Heard of North Africans in France
Turkish in Germany
Sub continentals in Holland
Mexicans in America
SE Asians in Australia
The entire labour force in the ME ???

The UK does have its own flavour of immigration issues, but if you think they are any greater than anywhere else you're more stupid than you've already let on.
Old May 12th 2007, 2:11 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that migration from E.Europe is now totally out of control and local authorites are unable to cope. What will this country be like in 10yrs time?

I have respect for the Polish who come to Britian and work hard, which they damn well do. What I object to are the minority (Romanian's normally) who sponge off of the UK taxpayer the moment they land in the UK.

At least in Australia & Canada they have much stricter immigration controls, look at the process that you lot have to go through with waiting times, 4+ years for Canada these days.
So, four plus years for Canada 'proves' that the country has stricter immigration policy? Not that it has incompetent bureaucracy that can't cope with the backlog of applications? Okayyyy ....
Old May 12th 2007, 2:13 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the Japanese in Canada...

I can't understand people who moan about immigration to their own country when they are planning to move to someone elses....
Old May 12th 2007, 2:15 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Originally Posted by krizzy

I can't understand people who moan about immigration to their own country when they are planning to move to someone elses....
I love Aus. The one thing I can't abide is all the ****in' immigrants.

Old May 12th 2007, 2:22 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

Before we moved to the USA my son then 10 saw a show about immigration..he asked what we would be when we moved...I said immigrants.. ...he looked shocked and said no we will not....we're British...we can't be immigrants..out of the mouths of babies...
Old May 12th 2007, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Eastbound,we are coming home on july 10th.
Whereabouts are you from if you dont mind me asking?[/QUOTE]

HI
Were from gloucestershire but we do have relatives in yorkshire who think there quality of life is much better since they moved up there .
Where abouts in canada are you at the moment ?
Old May 12th 2007, 4:42 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy

I'm *not* moaning about the amount of perfectly good law abiding immigrants who come to the UK to work and pay tax, the more the merrier in my opinion, besides they put the British to shame in their work ethics.

I'll say it again, what I do not like are the immigrants who land in the UK with nothing and immediately start claiming benefits without any intention to work. Those bigots who don't like the Polish because they "take all our jobs" are the people who you are referring too.

Yes, although I am a Canadian Citizen I will still be classed as a immigrant in Canada becuase of the way I speak, but I will still pay tax and not be a drain on the government.

Christ what have I started here
Well I was doing you all a favour really, you always complain about how boring your lives are in Perth so I thought I'd help brighten your day

Well my afternoon was great, umbrella was up and down more times than a whores drawers but we still had a good laugh.
Old May 12th 2007, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eastbound
Eastbound,we are coming home on july 10th.
Whereabouts are you from if you dont mind me asking?
HI
Were from gloucestershire but we do have relatives in yorkshire who think there quality of life is much better since they moved up there .
Where abouts in canada are you at the moment ?[/QUOTE]

we are in Alberta.......very expensive,not the friendly place it was meant to be ....tho to be fair we have made some lovely friends.
Old May 12th 2007, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

englishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond reputeenglishrose has a reputation beyond repute

Danny B.....
i was probably the worst one for slating the uk, to my shame,i thought the grass was greener on the other side.It isnt.The health care here isnt brill. Women are still giving birth in hospital corridors.Some are flown to Montana.Everything is way more expernsive than we thought.The "four seasons" didnt happen as weve had snow til the beginning of may.
It isnt the clean safe place it appeared to be on our reasearch trip.
the list goes on
for some,canada is a great place to live but at the end of the day,we belong in england.
we havent particularly missed family as we've been in touch weekly.
we miss the scenery,the choice of food ,clothes,all the things i said i'd never miss the things that seem petty.
we miss the history,the culture,the places to go,being on the doorstep of europe etc.
yes it has problems ,but so does canada,with drugs,pedophiles,etc
the thing is,they dont report it here much,we have to watch the bbc news to find out whats going on.
each to their own i say,we tried it ,it didnt suit us.
we thought we could turn our backs on our country and forget it,and that didnt work.
we are glad we came for the experience,but are SOOOOOO excited to be going HOME.
I think if you havent lived in another country you cant really understand how it feels to want to go home.
anyway,thats my two pennies worth !
Old May 12th 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm obviously never going to win this argument on a moving back to the UK forum but my final word on the subject is that a vast majority of you seem to move back to the UK because you understandably miss friends and family *not* because the UK is such a great country.

When you eventually get home and surround yourself with loved ones again it does over shadow what it would be really like if you had no surviving family left in the UK. In other words, it's not so much the country you love it's the friends and family in the country you love.

Enough said, I'm going out to enjoy the lovely UK weather, just got to find my unbrella

Family;that is what I did not miss! I missed my country. "end of"!
Old May 12th 2007, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Old May 12th 2007, 6:34 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I'm *not* moaning about the amount of perfectly good law abiding immigrants who come to the UK to work and pay tax, the more the merrier in my opinion, besides they put the British to shame in their work ethics.

I'll say it again, what I do not like are the immigrants who land in the UK with nothing and immediately start claiming benefits without any intention to work. Those bigots who don't like the Polish because they "take all our jobs" are the people who you are referring too.
By all means moan and complain about things that you don't like about the country - it's what the British do best.

But our immigration/benefits problem isn't a good enough reason to either emmigrate or to stay in a country where you don't feel settled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.