Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

worries about going home.....please help!

worries about going home.....please help!

Old May 12th 2007, 7:20 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worries about going home.....please help!

Originally Posted by englishrose
hi, we will shortly be returning to the uk after 18mths in canada.Its just not worked out here for numerous reasons and we are happy to be going home ....BUT.... i have the worries about my kids .
I have heard from so many people about the stabbings in british schools .Is this true ?? Or more press hype?
We dont have a choice about returning,i would really like to hear from decent law abiding citizens who dont want to see the country go to the dogs,who dont believe we will be "over run with muslims",who can string a sentence together without swearing(sounds petty maybe,but its been great here not hearing foul language !)
Its been so good to read this forum ,as you all seem to be of the same mindset , that uk is a great country with a lot to offer.
Seasprite,when i read your post about returning ,i just cried,as that is EXACTLY how i felt.No its not perfect.but its home ,and generally the people are great .
Sorry to have gone on a bit,im excited but scared for my kids aswell.We are heading to a beautiful area in the north,crime stats are low.
I think people are the same wherever you go in the world,some good some bad.
thanks for listening !!
I do not think that you will get the reply you are looking for on this forum due to the fact that the majority of people in the UK reading this are looking to get out for the reasons you mentioned. You only have to read the BBC News website to see what problems this country currently has.

The ones who moved to OZ and then moved back to the UK again are trying as best they can to paint a pretty picture of how the country is to justify their move back.

If you move to a quaint country village tucked away in Dorset for example then of course you will have a wonderful time, if you go to any major UK city then of course you will find issues. It's the same all over the world.

So what am I trying to say? book a flight and come over for a few weeks before making your final decision.
Old May 12th 2007, 7:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
The ones who moved to OZ and then moved back to the UK again are trying as best they can to paint a pretty picture of how the country is to justify their move back.
That is nonsense.

I am moving to Australia but think that the UK is a better environment in which to live.

I am moving for family reasons......If my son was not there I would not dream of moving.

I don't see all the supposed problems the UK has......why don't these things affect me if it is so awful?

G
Old May 12th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think that you will get the reply you are looking for on this forum due to the fact that the majority of people in the UK reading this are looking to get out for the reasons you mentioned. You only have to read the BBC News website to see what problems this country currently has.

If you move to a quaint country village tucked away in Dorset for example then of course you will have a wonderful time, if you go to any major UK city then of course you will find issues. It's the same all over the world.

So what am I trying to say? book a flight and come over for a few weeks before making your final decision.
Yes because Dorset is perfect and life is all "darling buds of May". Oh come on, Wherever you live you have to make the best of it, crime and social problems exist anywhere, they are just less or more dilute in some places. We prefer England for US that is all. Certainly do not need to justify it! Anyway OP don't panic you lived here before without being murdered didn't you?!
Old May 12th 2007, 8:44 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see all the supposed problems the UK has......why don't these things affect me if it is so awful?
Cos ya don't live in Sluff http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/b...re/6649049.stm
Old May 12th 2007, 8:47 am
Tea Drinker

Wherever you live you have to make the best of it, crime and social problems exist anywhere
Yes I know, that's why I said
if you go to any major UK city then of course you will find issues. It's the same all over the world
Old May 12th 2007, 8:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't ....so why should it bother me?

Nor do millions of other people......why should it bother them

Every country has problems......and immigrants.....not sure what point you are making?

G
Old May 12th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

That sentence really is a load of crap! And its the typical nonesense that is spouted by people who are in the throws of migrating. It will be interesting to see if your views are the same after 6 months away. Although some people only see one side of a country and feel that things aren't the same in Oz or elsewhere!

The UK has its problems but so does everywhere else in the world but dont come out with crap like that, saying that the people who have moved back are trying to paint a pretty picture and justify their return! What an absolute load of bollox!
Old May 12th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I know, that's why I said
Very true, but we aren't painting a rosy picture just sharing OUR experiences of wherever we have and do live. It really helped me when I was depressed about the lack of lustre in our Oz lives, to know that people who had moved back were happy.
Old May 12th 2007, 9:59 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by Grayling
No I don't ....so why should it bother me?

Nor do millions of other people......why should it bother them

Every country has problems......and immigrants.....not sure what point you are making?

G
My point is that migration from E.Europe is now totally out of control and local authorites are unable to cope. What will this country be like in 10yrs time?

I have respect for the Polish who come to Britian and work hard, which they damn well do. What I object to are the minority (Romanian's normally) who sponge off of the UK taxpayer the moment they land in the UK.

At least in Australia & Canada they have much stricter immigration controls, look at the process that you lot have to go through with waiting times, 4+ years for Canada these days.
Old May 12th 2007, 10:03 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

You just don't get it do you Danny? Some of us who have experienced living in another country actually prefer living in the UK. We don't have to justify anything at all - we could pack up and go back tomorow if we wanted to but the reality is that we don't want to. We really do love the UK and feel that it has far more to offer us. That's not to say that everyone should feel that way - each to their own, some people don't like it here so they stay away and good on them too if that is what they want.

We don't need to paint a pretty picture of life here because it is pretty - it's pretty damn good. Just because your life here is crap doesn't mean that everyone's is. I didn't enjoy living in Oz but I wouldn't dare assume that everyone didn't enjoy it - what complete arrogance.

In Australia the press don't revel in reporting crime like they do over here. They focus on the good things that happen, not the bad. It's the Australian way. Unfortunately it's the British way to focus on the negatives, look at the bad in everything and complain constantly.
Old May 12th 2007, 10:08 am

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

At least in Australia & Canada they have much stricter immigration controls, look at the process that you lot have to go through with waiting times, 4+ years for Canada these days.
Unfortunately that is a misunderstanding. Australia does have strict immigration controls from certain countries but there are many many other nationalities who are getting in there with no skills whatsoever. Many Oz companies are bringing in foreign workers, paying them peanuts and using loopholes in the system to do it legally.
Old May 12th 2007, 10:11 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by wafc
That sentence really is a load of crap! And its the typical nonesense that is spouted by people who are in the throws of migrating. It will be interesting to see if your views are the same after 6 months away. Although some people only see one side of a country and feel that things aren't the same in Oz or elsewhere!

The UK has its problems but so does everywhere else in the world but dont come out with crap like that, saying that the people who have moved back are trying to paint a pretty picture and justify their return! What an absolute load of bollox!
Well I'm obviously never going to win this argument on a moving back to the UK forum but my final word on the subject is that a vast majority of you seem to move back to the UK because you understandably miss friends and family *not* because the UK is such a great country.

When you eventually get home and surround yourself with loved ones again it does over shadow what it would be really like if you had no surviving family left in the UK. In other words, it's not so much the country you love it's the friends and family in the country you love.

Enough said, I'm going out to enjoy the lovely UK weather, just got to find my unbrella
Old May 12th 2007, 10:22 am

Well I'm obviously never going to win this argument on a moving back to the UK forum but my final word on the subject is that a vast majority of you seem to move back to the UK because you understandably miss friends and family *not* because the UK is such a great country.

When you eventually get home and surround yourself with loved ones again it does over shadow what it would be really like if you had no surviving family left in the UK. In other words, it's not so much the country you love it's the friends and family in the country you love.

Enough said, I'm going out to enjoy the lovely UK weather, just got to find my unbrella
Well when you get to Oz you won't need an umbrella cos it never rains there

Why is it so difficult for you to accept that some people simply do not enjoy living in another country. Why is it so difficult for you to understand that lots of people actually do love living in the UK? You must either be a very single minded person or you just have a very unhappy life.

Fact is that many do come back for family and friends, many come back for the British way of life, many come back because they can earn more here and many more return for a combination of all of the above.

Get over it
Old May 12th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the problems in the UK which made people leave in the first place will still be there when people return and more often than not it is family and friends that are the major pull back, although I also think missing the UK in general is also a big factor, it certainly seems to be for many people. We love the UK but we hate the bad sides of it, but I could say that about any part of the world. We also love the good parts of Oz and hate the bad bits.

However, I totally disagree with your comment that people are painting a pretty picture of UK life to justify their return as that is total drivel and you know it! Most people who return are just happy to be back, some people return to come straight back to Oz again but I dont think anyone tries to paint pretty pictures to justify returning to wherever in the world they prefer to be.

Enjoy the rain though, we could do with some here, although not at the minute cos its raining as we speak!

Last edited by wafc; May 12th 2007 at 10:28 am.
Old May 12th 2007, 12:50 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Like I say we have lived near the third most run down estate in the north west and we have had no problems whatsoever with crime, kids, schooling etc. My children currently go to a lovely school, and they are coming on leaps and bounds.

We are taking time out and have decided to go to Oz for how long, who knows? We are going purely for a change of scenery and an experience. We have no short or long term plans just seeing how it goes. We are not going because we fear the UK is going down the pan????

Inner Cities have their problems this is true but we have to think that not everyone living in an inner city 'bad' area wants to be there themselves and are up standing citizens just getting on with their lives, everyone in life has choices and there are always going to be people better or worse of than ourselves, those who are less fortunate doesn't mean they are less values.

C

Carmel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.