Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

worries about going home.....please help!

worries about going home.....please help!

Old May 23rd 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: worries about going home.....please help!

Originally Posted by kevinl
I didn't quote you but your post was the same as many, " I would have to have a good reason to go back not like these plonkers". Not an exact quote I know.
That sort of thing gets repeated again and again on here, its like a round robin of evangelical preachers who must save us from ourselves.

Yesterday I wasn't in the mood for it.
I packed up work on Friday and trying to explain 30 times to people that yes of course you like Australia but you would rather go back and no it doesn't rain everyday and we probably won't get blown up or stabbed as soon as we leave the airport, starts to wear.
I have been explaining myself for months, since we decided to go back and to constantly get people who don't have the knowledge or experience we have to pop up and add their two penith, especially when they are dragging out the same old crap that the last one did does wind me up.
It shouldn't get to me I know but try to remember when you start to preach to someone that there reasons mean nothing that there is probably a whole lot of other shit going on that goes along with the trivial.
If you have something constructive to add then great, otherwise at least you give us something to take our frustration out on.
Unfortunately in the real world you can't get into these rows and so I do probably let my built up frustration come out on here at times, I don't expect somebody happily cruising along to understand how it feels.

Kevin.
Thanks for the reply. I think i read somewhere that Australia has the highest return rate for emigrants. In my mind i assume that is because it is so hot/completly different seasons to UK (ie hot at xmas)/bugs/spiders etc what do you think?? and that is genuine interest

Also wanted to ask those that are returning to the UK ....

Have you been back to the uk since you emigrated, for hols etc?
have you had many visitors?
are you able to you webcam/phone relatives/friends regulary?

these are all 'out of interest' questions and not barbed in anyway. I know a couple with teenagers on vancouver island who would properly return to uk if it was not for the fact the children do not want to go back at all. They have not been back to the Uk since emigrating and that got me thinking.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jempee
Thanks for the reply. I think i read somewhere that Australia has the highest return rate for emigrants. In my mind i assume that is because it is so hot/completly different seasons to UK (ie hot at xmas)/bugs/spiders etc what do you think?? and that is genuine interest

Also wanted to ask those that are returning to the UK ....

Have you been back to the uk since you emigrated, for hols etc?
have you had many visitors?
are you able to you webcam/phone relatives/friends regulary?

these are all 'out of interest' questions and not barbed in anyway. I know a couple with teenagers on vancouver island who would properly return to uk if it was not for the fact the children do not want to go back at all. They have not been back to the Uk since emigrating and that got me thinking.
Yes I go back to the Uk lots but it's miserable going on your own with the kids. I want to enjoy holidays again with my husband.

I speak to my family/friends all the time and email too. I come from a very close family so being apart from them has been hard. My kids have missed contact with their grandparents. My family do visit Canada but usually not more than once a year.

If you haven't got family ties then I'm sure it must be easier to settle in another country.
Old May 23rd 2007, 4:50 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd hop on and stir the pot. I am in the states and think that anyone who would want to live here rather than the Uk is a materialistic idiot that cares more about the stuff they can buy/ decorate their houses with/ stuff in the garage/ buy 24 seven than having a laugh and a simple cup of tea. I used take the view that the US is not for me but that's not to say someone else wouldn't like it....
however I am becoming less and less tolerant he more and more time I spend here because my bloody house won't sell and I just want to be home. I am in real danger of becoming what I hate and when I finally get back declaring I will never leave England and sticking union jacks all over my lawn like the blind US folks here who haven't been out of their home state.

save me! rant over. :-)

Last edited by Hayley; May 23rd 2007 at 4:53 pm.
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:06 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I'm a materialistic idiot ...and I like living here...yes I have more things...but love nothing more than going out for a cheap meal with friends and seeing what we can find in the shops for under $10...you only change if you want too...or if you let others change you....I see very little in what you say in many of my Brit friends...a few many like having the big house big car and swimming pool...granted...but not all...most are kind caring people who would give you the shirt off their backs...or maybe I just pick my friends well..who knows...
Old May 23rd 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hayley
Just thought I'd hop on and stir the pot. I am in the states and think that anyone who would want to live here rather than the Uk is a materialistic idiot that cares more about the stuff they can buy/ decorate their houses with/ stuff in the garage/ buy 24 seven than having a laugh and a simple cup of tea. I used take the view that the US is not for me but that's not to say someone else wouldn't like it....
however I am becoming less and less tolerant he more and more time I spend here because my bloody house won't sell and I just want to be home. I am in real danger of becoming what I hate and when I finally get back declaring I will never leave England and sticking union jacks all over my lawn like the blind US folks here who haven't been out of their home state.

save me! rant over. :-)
Hayley, I know how you are feeling. When your house takes a long time to sell it does make you feel trapped and then you really start resenting the place. I kind of feel like that but it is helping that it's still the right season to be selling (well it is in BC anyway!)

Just let your frustrations pour out if it makes you feel any better.