Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Worried about the "chav culture" in the UK?

Wikiposts

Worried about the "chav culture" in the UK?

Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:51 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worried about the "chav culture" in the UK?

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I guess I have been in the US to long. What the hell is a Chav??
You don't know what a chav is?
... In that case, yes, you probably have been here too long.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone see the first episode of the new series of Harry and Paul?

The chavs in the library scene was all it took to bring the memories of the UK back
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:29 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

The chavs in the library scene was all it took to bring the memories of the UK back
I missed that part, but I did see the last 15 minutes, pretty funny.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 5:11 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy

Yep, that was hilarious. Especially the Chavvy dog!!!

The Dragons Den impersonations had me on the floor with laughter too!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

Barbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really niceBarbara B. is just really nice

I have to admit not knowing what a chav is. I don't even know what the letters stand for, although I think it may have been explained to me in the past. Maybe I am in denial. My personal interpretation is that a chav is about being in bored listless gangs and doing all that sportswear and bling thing, women in tight scraped back ponytails and men with (SHRIEK) chunky gold necklaces. And being over fed on highly processed foods and white bread.

I haven't googled this issue.

I am not quite sure if I am anywhere near correct.

In my grandparents working class days chavs didn't exist, and it was honorable to be working class. Now I worry that if I call myself working class I will be lumped in with the whole chav thing, even though I wouldn't dream of being uncouth or wearing fleecy man made fibres and sports wear or using an inordinate amount of hair serum.

Perhaps I am a chav. In denial. Perhaps that is why I left, because I couldn't face up to what I may have been becoming.

Will someone please direct me to a site that can determine whether I am a chav?

Is it something to do with with living on a council estate? What if you live on a council estate but have bought your council house?

Is there a respectable side of chav?
Old Oct 5th 2010, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbara B.
I have to admit not knowing what a chav is. I don't even know what the letters stand for, although I think it may have been explained to me in the past. Maybe I am in denial. My personal interpretation is that a chav is about being in bored listless gangs and doing all that sportswear and bling thing, women in tight scraped back ponytails and men with (SHRIEK) chunky gold necklaces. And being over fed on highly processed foods and white bread.

I haven't googled this issue.

I am not quite sure if I am anywhere near correct.

In my grandparents working class days chavs didn't exist, and it was honorable to be working class. Now I worry that if I call myself working class I will be lumped in with the whole chav thing, even though I wouldn't dream of being uncouth or wearing fleecy man made fibres and sports wear or using an inordinate amount of hair serum.

Perhaps I am a chav. In denial. Perhaps that is why I left, because I couldn't face up to what I may have been becoming.

Will someone please direct me to a site that can determine whether I am a chav?

Is it something to do with with living on a council estate? What if you live on a council estate but have bought your council house?

Is there a respectable side of chav?
I think some people feel really good about looking down on others from council estates. It's a nice easy stereotype.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:35 am
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think some people feel really good about looking down on others from council estates. It's a nice easy stereotype.
Yeah too right there, and I agree 100%.
Used to be that the upper class looked down on the middle and working class because they felt it was their right to do so, now everyone wants to jump onto it.
Bratty kids that go to a school in a better area want to snob off and poke fun at the kids from less well off areas that go to less "fashionable" schools.
People sending their kids way across town to a more "upmarket school" schools because "the local school is rough". I've personally seen evidence of that from people's kids where I lived at home, and how the jumped up little arses get a chip on their shoulders about it.
Almost seems now as if a lot of people just want to show how smart they are themselves by looking down on anyone else that they can, whether it's because those people earn less then they do or live in a rented property or council house.
Chucking the "chav culture" thing around is a way for some people to forget where they came from, how lucky they are and become a snobs in the process, which somehow makes them feel they've achieved something or become somebody.
There's working class people everywhere, and rednecks too. Nothing has changed there, except that other people have become more aware of the whole class system thing and want to be a part of it.