Reload this Page >

World traveler arriving on a one-way to Luton airport

Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

sandia911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default World traveler arriving on a one-way to Luton airport

I've heard reports of immigration officers in the UK denying access to travelers regardless of their passports. Ive read posts on this forum and others regarding this important issue.

My situation is as follows:

I have a CDN passport (even though I was born in Iran, and it says that in my CDN passport).

I'm flying in on a one-way ticket (on a cheap discount airline, ryanair) from Marrakesh, Morocco.

My previous passport was stolen in Mexico last year, so my new passport is pretty empty and it was issued by CDN embassy in Mexico city (and it says that in the Passport).

I only have a couple stamps in my passport (from Morocco, EU, and USA). I haven't worked since I left Canada 3 years ago. I've been living on life savings, a large bank account, and using websites like couchsurfing, and hospitalty club (therefore avoiding the need for hotels). I use public transport, and rideshare (instead of trains, or bus networks), therefore enabling me to spend no more than 10 pounds or so/ day.

I don't have a physical credit card with me though I use a family credit card number to make purchases online.

I don't have a bank statement, as I do everything online; and my account usually has a few hundred dollars in it at all times. I have an international debit card handy.

I'm coming in on a one-way ticket because I want to travel extensively in England, and Wales until I'm good and ready to leave (probably 2 months after arriving). Canadians are entitled to up to 6 months of tourism time in the Uk (officialY). The immigration officer then decided how many months to grant the Cdn visitor. I need at least 2 months. How do I get that?

I want to buy my exit ticket when I am done with England. I want to spend At least 2 months in england. I plan to fly to Norway after that. I'm planning to fly on Norweigan airline out of London again so I want to buy the ticket later, not now.

However, if it's better, I can purchase the ticket to Norway here in Morocco, and print out the e-ticket and bring it with me to Luton airport when I arrive in London next month if it will help me avoid a lengthy ordeal in the immigration waiting room, or heaven forbid refusal and deportation back to Morocco (even though I am Canadian), I don't want to go back to morocco or Canada.

What do you think will happen to me at Luton?

I am young, olive skin, clean shaven, travel alone, say that I work as a freelance travel writer, and was born in Iran, though maintain Cdn citizenship.

I can either tell them I'm staying in a cheap hostel, which I won't since I have hosts lined up in london or Should i tell them about the hospitality club and my hosts (whom I've never met), and my plan of only spending a few pounds a day, and therefore don't need to prove i have thousands of pounds to verify my stay of 2 months, or should I just tell them Im staying in a cheap hostel for a week in London before moving on to other destination in England.

My purpose in england is tourism (albeit really cheap tourism). I like slow travel.

how should I word this at luton?

Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:28 pm

caledonia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: World traveler arriving on a one-way to Luton airport

Eh? haven't a clue mate but good luck anyway!! sounds like you'll need it.

Last edited by caledonia; Feb 18th 2008 at 11:55 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 11:48 pm
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: World traveler arriving on a one-way to Luton airport

Sounds a bit dodgy to me. Or at least I would imagine that UK Immigration would think so. There is virtually no paper trail to suggest that you have a 'career traveller' for the last three years. Your passport states that you have only been to the US and EU, and you have no money to speak of. I would get letters from your prospective hosts confirming that they are aware of your coming to stay and letters from previous hosts if possible. I wouldn't say you are a freelance travel writier unless you can prove this with publications (it isn't difficult to check this out after all).

This is not anything I know for a fact but, given the current global climate and heightened security at points of entry, I would imagine you are in for a rough time. My bud's girlfriend arrived in the UK just over a year ago from the US. She had plenty of money, a return ticket and a place to stay. She was detained for hours and my friend had to go down to the airport and jump though hoops on her behalf. It sounds like you are not very prepared to be honest. Then again I may be wrong. Let us know how it goes though as your info might be useful to some other weary traveller in the future.