Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Working family tax credit a benifit?

Working family tax credit a benifit?

Old Sep 14th 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Ayrria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working family tax credit a benifit?

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this is considered a benfit? My husband is moving to the UK hopefully in december. We are having a baby girl and I'm wondering if I can get working family tax credit or not, does it breach the non goverment help rule? Because we will be moving up north once he gets here and living off one wage for some time until we are able to get childcare for our baby.

As we can't get help with that I am wondering what sort of 'non goverment' help we can get. We are planning to move to tyne and wear (Sunderland) but I can't find childminder prices or anything other then a kindergarden saying that it's £580 per month for full time care. Which I know there is no point in both of us working.

Thanks,
~S.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 12:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working family tax credit a benifit?

Originally Posted by Ayrria
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this is considered a benfit? My husband is moving to the UK hopefully in december. We are having a baby girl and I'm wondering if I can get working family tax credit or not, does it breach the non goverment help rule? Because we will be moving up north once he gets here and living off one wage for some time until we are able to get childcare for our baby.

As we can't get help with that I am wondering what sort of 'non goverment' help we can get. We are planning to move to tyne and wear (Sunderland) but I can't find childminder prices or anything other then a kindergarden saying that it's £580 per month for full time care. Which I know there is no point in both of us working.

Thanks,
~S.
AFAIK, anyone who is resident in Britain can get both working family tax credit and child benefit.

The IR's website is very helpful, btw
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

I don't think I can get child benifit because I'm ment to be able support my husband with out help from the goverment which was why I was wondering if I could even get family tax credit
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:48 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think I can get child benifit because I'm ment to be able support my husband with out help from the goverment which was why I was wondering if I could even get family tax credit
If the child and one of the parents resides in the UK, the parent is entitled to child benefit. It is not a means tested benefit - everyone can get it - even millionaires.

If the child is born in the UK, I believe he/she also gets a child trust fund of around GBP 250 which can be invested for his/her future.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

I thought that was only if you were on benifits I'm deffinatly going to have to look into that one!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:02 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Elvira

If the child is born in the UK, I believe he/she also gets a child trust fund of around GBP 250 which can be invested for his/her future.
The child doesn't even have to have been born in the UK as long as they were born after 2003.

Child benefit is definitely not means-tested - when you apply for this you will be sent the money, (in 'cheque' form) to kick-start your child's trust fund.

Details are on the DWP site regarding the CTC and WFTC. An NI number for your foreign spouse is a must - they will treat your application as a joint one even if you only have a two year spousal visa.

Just as a heads-up - it's a real PITA getting the tax credits without an NI number.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

but what if he's not here when i apply for it? Is it still joint then? I was really shocked to think I can get child benifit. It'll really help with extra costs and stuff. I thought we just had to manage on our own really.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:30 am
Homebody

but what if he's not here when i apply for it? Is it still joint then? I was really shocked to think I can get child benifit. It'll really help with extra costs and stuff. I thought we just had to manage on our own really.
If who is not where? What is still joint?

It really is very simply: you have your baby, and you fill out a form which, if memory serves me right, they give you either at the hospital or when you register the birth. Memory is slightly hazy after nearly 20 years, but I think it is actually quite difficult to miss out on registering for child benefit
Old Sep 15th 2007, 9:10 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Have a look here for information on tax credits.

Look here for information on the child trust fund.