Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Worked abroad, will Uk gov tax my income?

Worked abroad, will Uk gov tax my income?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:17 am
Just Joined

sijcooke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worked abroad, will Uk gov tax my income?

Hi all,

In advance... thank you for reading this and your help.

I have recently worked in Australia and now returned to the UK (i am a british citizen). My money i earnt is still sitting in an Australian account, but if i move it to my uk current account... will the uk government tax me. I have already been taxed by the aus govenment.

Does the govenment monitor accounts for money going in and then question where its from???

Thanks for reading and your help...

Sijcooke!
Old Aug 11th 2008, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Worked abroad, will Uk gov tax my income?

My understanding is that you won't get charged income tax again.

If you move a large amount of money across you might get a call from the bank asking what it is, but you have a reasonable explanation for this.

Of course when it's in the UK bank account you will be charged UK tax on the interest earned on that money.

This is my non financial person understanding and am not offering advice, this is just my understanding, which may be wrong.

Good Luck.