British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Work in Wood Green N22 - live where? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/work-wood-green-n22-live-where-618337/)

dingbat Jul 4th 2009 8:21 pm

Work in Wood Green N22 - live where?

I am not hugely familiar with areas that would be commutable (easily, by direct train preferably) to Wood Green. I swore I would not work in London again...but....I would have to be within an hour, in village/small town, where a 4 bed house will not cost me a kidney.

Thanks for any suggestions

Coffeepot Jul 4th 2009 8:47 pm

Re: Work in Wood Green N22 - live where?

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 7723994)
I am not hugely familiar with areas that would be commutable (easily, by direct train preferably) to Wood Green. I swore I would not work in London again...but....I would have to be within an hour, in village/small town, where a 4 bed house will not cost me a kidney.

Thanks for any suggestions

Where are you thinking of dingbat, north, south ?
There are still some good bargains in Cambridge areas,
Sister in law lives in Loughton and brought a 3 bed place quite cheap recently,

Sittingbourne in Kent is ok from what i have seen, price wise.

dingbat Jul 4th 2009 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 7724042)
Where are you thinking of dingbat, north, south ?
There are still some good bargains in Cambridge areas,
Sister in law lives in Loughton and brought a 3 bed place quite cheap recently,

Sittingbourne in Kent is ok from what i have seen, price wise.

I'm thinking North down into London rather than South and up. I did Bromley to the Angel for a while, and that drove me mental, because of the Tube. I would prefer a straight train commute, with no changes. Just looked and I have to tube it anyway from Aly Pally. Grr. Probably asking for the moon, I am sure.:unsure: I will look at Cambridge.

Coffeepot Jul 4th 2009 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 7724066)
I'm thinking North down into London rather than South and up. I did Bromley to the Angel for a while, and that drove me mental, because of the Tube. I would prefer a straight train commute, with no changes. Probably asking for the moon, I am sure.:unsure: I will look at Cambridge.

We are in north Cambs it takes OH 1hr 20 mins door to door not sure about Wood Green though, there are some good propertys for sale around Cambridge, with direct trains, im sure you will find something you like.

Have you looked on www.primlocation .co.uk thats where we have been looking for our son. if i can help just let me know :D

dingbat Jul 4th 2009 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Coffeepot (Post 7724069)
We are in north Cambs it takes OH 1hr 20 mins door to door not sure about Wood Green though, there are some good propertys for sale around Cambridge, with direct trains, im sure you will find something you like.

Have you looked on www.primlocation .co.uk thats where we have been looking for our son. if i can help just let me know :D

Thanks - I am looking to keep the commute to an hour or under if I can, but I'll keep looking. :D

quoll Jul 4th 2009 9:31 pm

Cambridgeshire can be expensive. You would have the choice of the slow train to Liverpool St/Tottenham Hale (2 tubes) and pick it up at one of the villages along the way down through Essex or the fast train to Kings X and then 1 tube up to Wood Green. However it is an expensive commute by train although a lot of people do it. The express route into London is just about an hour and the stopper train is about 1 hr 20. I'd be looking more into Essex - Saffron Walden, Bishops Stortford area but there are probably cheaper options in Hertfordshire - Harlow, Stevenage etc but probably not quite as "nice".

dingbat Jul 4th 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 7724087)
Cambridgeshire can be expensive. You would have the choice of the slow train to Liverpool St/Tottenham Hale (2 tubes) and pick it up at one of the villages along the way down through Essex or the fast train to Kings X and then 1 tube up to Wood Green. However it is an expensive commute by train although a lot of people do it. The express route into London is just about an hour and the stopper train is about 1 hr 20. I'd be looking more into Essex - Saffron Walden, Bishops Stortford area but there are probably cheaper options in Hertfordshire - Harlow, Stevenage etc but probably not quite as "nice".

Thanks again, just looking at Essex. I'd forgotten how many lovely villages there are in Essex.

Fleaflyfloflum Jul 4th 2009 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 7724098)
Thanks again, just looking at Essex. I'd forgotten how many lovely villages there are in Essex.

I'm in Essex DB. Its beautiful! I am not sure if Chelmsford would be on the right train line, but theres some gorgeous viallges surrounding there. We are currently looking up that way as OH will be working off the coast of Maldon.
Please dont be put off Essex by the idiots who know nothing about it and think all there is to it is chavs and bimbos. A lot of it (especially higher up) is very posh!

Good luck

liliand Jul 4th 2009 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 7724098)

Have a look round the end of the Northern Line - not the best of transport reputations however!
Hertfordshire - Little Gaddeston, Berkhamstead [not St Albans any more], and environs are 'nice', and a relatively easy drive/commute to Wood Green.
Good luck.

dingbat Jul 4th 2009 10:41 pm

Thanks all - plenty to look at tonight!