Wikiposts

Work situation in the UK

Old Dec 24th 2010, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

cafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud ofcafa123 has much to be proud of
Default Work situation in the UK

So, I left the UK over 10 years ago, spent 5 in Aus, and last 5 in the US. I've had 2/3 offers of IT contract work in the UK, which would mean a commute every 4 weeks from the West Coast of the US.

My question is - is the economic situation so good in the UK that they will bring in contractors from the US with all the costs involved. Is there really a shortage of good IT people in the UK these days.

Interested to get a take on this, as it appears crazy to me???
Old Dec 24th 2010, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Work situation in the UK

I think it would be a bad idea to compare the whole of the UK's economic situation with the evidence witnessed from just the IT sector.

Personally, I don't know of any good IT people that are unemployed. Even those that are, at best, average seem to stay in work. I'd have to agree though, I don't think there is such a shortage that it warrants bringing people from the US to fill vacancies. But I guess it depends on whether you have some sort of niche skill.
Old Dec 25th 2010, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work situation in the UK

Originally Posted by cafa123
So, I left the UK over 10 years ago, spent 5 in Aus, and last 5 in the US. I've had 2/3 offers of IT contract work in the UK, which would mean a commute every 4 weeks from the West Coast of the US.

My question is - is the economic situation so good in the UK that they will bring in contractors from the US with all the costs involved. Is there really a shortage of good IT people in the UK these days.

Interested to get a take on this, as it appears crazy to me???
I can only agree with zednought. I have recently returned to the UK and am finding that jobs are there for skilled/professional people. Getting a company to pay for your flights and accommodation costs may be a bit of a stretch though.