British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Work from home opportunities - any suggestions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/work-home-opportunities-any-suggestions-913080/)

Bahtatboy May 22nd 2018 8:35 pm

Work from home opportunities - any suggestions?

I've now been abroad for 10 years this stint, and am feeling the urge to go home, and ideally semi-retire. I'm not quite there financially, and probably need to earn about £25k for the next 5 years till my pensions kick in. It's possible that I could work a couple of months a year doing what I do now on a consultancy basis, but there's no certainty I could get the work. Does anyone have any good ideas or experience of working at home and generating that sort of income without having to work every available hour? I'm literate, numerate and well educated, and could probably turn my hand to most things.

Thanks in anticipation.

scot47 May 23rd 2018 2:04 pm

Re: Work from home opportunities - any suggestions?

Proofreading and editing. Difficult to earn enough to live on but it can be a nice earner.

Dorothy May 23rd 2018 10:09 pm

I plan to do medical and legal typing from home when I leave work. I do both now as a living so I'll just do it from home.

Caroline in Arizona May 23rd 2018 10:54 pm

One thing I’ve thought about doing when we are back in Scotland is teaching English online to Chinese students. You do not need to know Chinese to do this.

Benson55 May 24th 2018 10:53 pm

If you have an acedemic skill then tutoring can be done need to google it to get the sites.
Surveys are a total waste of time it takes hours and hours to earn a penny.
Pyramid schemes are illegal.
Why not set up a site to talk to lonely people it seems there are a lot of them in the UK, get it going then change to a subscription base and have the abillity to chat voice to voice for a small fee.

tusitala May 25th 2018 7:34 pm

My current employer in the US has suggested they might be interested in having me work remotely for a while after I move to Scotland, I don't know if that would be an option for you

DigitalGhost May 29th 2018 9:20 am

You could try English teaching. There's a subreddit called /r/workonline with a lot of info on this kind of thing. Pays up to around £20 an hour if you're good at it.

Bahtatboy May 29th 2018 9:50 am

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

DigitalGhost May 29th 2018 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12506968)
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

If you have sufficient IT or engineering ability then there are always opportunities for that kind of work as well. It all depends on your background and skill level tbh.

Bahtatboy May 29th 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12506976)
If you have sufficient IT or engineering ability then there are always opportunities for that kind of work as well. It all depends on your background and skill level tbh.

Regrettably not.

sayang May 29th 2018 10:10 am

You need to earn 25k a year for 5 years (i.e. a full time job wage) or 25k over 5 years (5k a year)? If the latter, you could look at becoming a parish clerk. Or deliver pizzas

Bahtatboy May 29th 2018 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sayang (Post 12506982)
You need to earn 25k a year for 5 years (i.e. a full time job wage) or 25k over 5 years (5k a year)? If the latter, you could look at becoming a parish clerk. Or deliver pizzas

£25k per year, part time working from home. Ambitious, I know -- but it's the preferable alternative to this: I should be able to charge myself out at £500+ per day when I semi-retire next year, the quandry is whether I can find a couple of months' work a year that a) doesn't suck me into a 6-month or longer stint, or b) isn't in some hell-hole. The fall-back is staying what I'm doing for another year or so, and then problem solved, but I'm really hankering after being more-or-less settled at home from around next April, with enough free time to pursue my hobbies (which don't fit in with a full-time job at B&Q or wherever).

DigitalGhost May 29th 2018 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12506992)
£25k per year, part time working from home. Ambitious, I know -- but it's the preferable alternative to this: I should be able to charge myself out at £500+ per day when I semi-retire next year, the quandry is whether I can find a couple of months' work a year that a) doesn't suck me into a 6-month or longer stint, or b) isn't in some hell-hole. The fall-back is staying what I'm doing for another year or so, and then problem solved, but I'm really hankering after being more-or-less settled at home from around next April, with enough free time to pursue my hobbies (which don't fit in with a full-time job at B&Q or wherever).

Do you have a degree? Because that's usually required for an entry level home English teacher I think.

There's also the possibility of Uber, Deliveroo or home delivery work etc if you don't mind that kind of thing.

Bahtatboy May 29th 2018 11:12 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12506996)
Do you have a degree? Because that's usually required for an entry level home English teacher I think.

There's also the possibility of Uber, Deliveroo or home delivery work etc if you don't mind that kind of thing.

A degree and a couple of PGDips; I also speak Japanese, so English tutoring is definitely on the cards (I did some when I was in Japan, just for some of Bahtatgirl's friends). Any links as to where I can get started online?

Actually driving would almost be a dream job (had a part-time warehouse / driving job when I was at uni for Early Learning when they were just a start-up) -- not sure it would pay enough, though.

DigitalGhost May 29th 2018 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12507024)
A degree and a couple of PGDips; I also speak Japanese, so English tutoring is definitely on the cards (I did some when I was in Japan, just for some of Bahtatgirl's friends). Any links as to where I can get started online?

Actually driving would almost be a dream job (had a part-time warehouse / driving job when I was at uni for Early Learning when they were just a start-up) -- not sure it would pay enough, though.

If you have a degree and experience in Asia then you could teach Japanese or Korean adults English online and earn a fairly decent wage doing it tbh. You wouldn't need to take the crappier jobs teaching Chinese kids.