Wikiposts

Work ethic in UK/ Ireland

Old Jun 7th 2009, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Antje & Basti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work ethic in UK/ Ireland

We are thinking about relocating to the UK (prefer Scotland) or Ireland after living for over 3 years in Melbourne. We still have a great time here, but we simply miss the green country side and the Christmas spirit.

What we would like to know is how are the working conditions in UK or Ireland?
Do you have to work longer? Do you have to meet deadlines? How is the relationship to your boss and colleagues?

Thanks.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:03 pm
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work ethic in UK/ Ireland

Originally Posted by Antje & Basti
We are thinking about relocating to the UK (prefer Scotland) or Ireland after living for over 3 years in Melbourne. We still have a great time here, but we simply miss the green country side and the Christmas spirit.

Do you have to work longer? Do you have to meet deadlines? How is the relationship to your boss and colleagues?

Thanks.
Hi
I am currently out here in Dubai and I like you am missing the greenery of the UK. It’s all sand and tall ugly skyscrapers here. I am originally from Scotland, and I was born and raised there. Whilst the decision to choose Ireland and Scotland is entirely yours, I can only speak for Scotland although as far as the questions you have asked , the work culture is similar to other parts of the UK. To answer your questions though:

Q. Do you have to work longer?
A. Yes, the Brits work the longest hours in Europe. Although there is no obligation to work longer but some people do, simply because they want to get the job/task finished. Whether you get paid overtime or not though is up to your employer.

Q. Do you have to meet deadlines?
A. Yes, deadlines are common place although it varies with the nature of the job. In more office orientated jobs you will find that there are deadlines to meet.

Q. How are the relationships with colleagues and the boss?
A. In most cases, there is quite a laidback working environment. It is all quite sociable at work. People will ask you to go out for drinks after work, staff night outs which can be a laugh, celebration of staff birthdays.

All the best in your decision. Feel free to PM me if you need any specific information.
Old Jun 8th 2009, 12:56 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Brits work the longest hours in Europe.
There's evidence that this is a myth.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009...-working-hours

Could be though that commuting hours are the longest...
Old Jun 8th 2009, 2:39 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
Ireland is very easy going. Only trouble is getting a job at the moment.
Old Jun 11th 2009, 12:50 am
Banned

Koolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura aboutKoolio has a spectacular aura about

Thanks.

The best way to get the most relevant answers is to ask those who are in the industry for which you work in. From every different industry you will get different answers. What's your prof ?
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Antje & Basti is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all of your answers so far.

Our professions are Software Engineer and Accountant (CMA).

At the moment it might be difficult to get a job anywhere. If we would decide to move to the UK/ Ireland than probably in 2 or 3 years. We want to see how living in the UK/ Ireland is so that we know what we could plan here.

Thanks a lot.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

irish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of lightirish_eyes is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all of your answers so far.

Our professions are Software Engineer and Accountant (CMA).

At the moment it might be difficult to get a job anywhere. If we would decide to move to the UK/ Ireland than probably in 2 or 3 years. We want to see how living in the UK/ Ireland is so that we know what we could plan here.

Thanks a lot.
Not sure about the UK but for Ireland your really looking at a move in about 10 years time. There are little to no jobs here and the country is in such a bad state its going to take about 10 year to get it back to all its glory. Ireland is a great place but not so sure its a great place to re-locate. Sorry i'm being so negative but its the worst hit with the recession. I've just heard yesterday that my cousin was let go (accountant) and all my friends have had pay cuts and pay freeze and a few are down to 3 day weeks and ALOT have now got no jobs. All the green fields and christmas spirit in Ireland (and there is alot) just wont pay the bills or make you happy. Have you thought about New Zealand? Work ethic in Ireland is very relaxed tho and social outings tend to take place more so than overtime. Best of luck