Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wishing I posted when I wasn't homesick as well

Wishing I posted when I wasn't homesick as well

Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:28 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wishing I posted when I wasn't homesick as well

As the familiar pangs of Christmas homesickness kick in, I have just spent thirty minutes or so revisiting old posts I've made about how I want to go home etc. The reason for doing so (other than to torment myself!) was to look at how long it had been going on.

It's been a couple of years in all BUT there have also been times within those couple of years where I've had the "what was I thinking" moments of loving it here and wondering why I would ever dream of leaving!

So, I wished that I posted during those times too so that when I look back through my posts, I can see how the time balances out (if it does, which I'm sure it would), and if there are particular triggers (Christmas being a good example). Wondered if anyone else experiences this constant pendulum swing?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 8:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wishing I posted when I wasn't homesick as well

Originally Posted by ukintexas
As the familiar pangs of Christmas homesickness kick in, I have just spent thirty minutes or so revisiting old posts I've made about how I want to go home etc. The reason for doing so (other than to torment myself!) was to look at how long it had been going on.

It's been a couple of years in all BUT there have also been times within those couple of years where I've had the "what was I thinking" moments of loving it here and wondering why I would ever dream of leaving!

So, I wished that I posted during those times too so that when I look back through my posts, I can see how the time balances out (if it does, which I'm sure it would), and if there are particular triggers (Christmas being a good example). Wondered if anyone else experiences this constant pendulum swing?
Yes, but in the opposite direction (trying to get back to the US; have applied for several positions in the past 2-3 years). I don't exactly have moments of "What am I thinking?" in the same sense as you, but I do go through phases of wondering whether I'll ever make it back, how much energy I have put into looking, applying, and yes, even interviewing for one job, and whether I should just give up on the idea and make the most of my situation here in the UK.

I also read the posts about health care in the US and that is probably among the top thnigs that make me question the sense of going back.

Like you, there are definitely times I don't come on here (not for a while, but there have been times I had to stay away from BE for weeks because it did my head in).

Even if we are not actually physically ping-ponging back and forth, I think a lot of us swing back and forth mentally (Should I/shouldn't I, good idea/bad idea, like it here/don't like it here).

For me, it's the stress of certain periods in my job (which is cyclical) that cause me to swing back and forth. In the summer I get to focus on my research, take weekends to play around in the garden. Other times I am working every evening and weekend and having to deal with crushing bureacracy (one aspect of academia in the UK that drives me absolutely insane) and hating every day of it.

I'm maybe not exactly answering your question but yes, I think you should post more when you are enjoying the US (or even just keeping a diary).
Old Dec 15th 2010, 6:45 pm
Searching for contentment

ukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond reputeukintexas has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dunroving, thanks for the input. Get everything you're saying. It appears ultimately all of us expats are stark raving mad/tormented one way or the other!!!
Old Dec 15th 2010, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ukintexas
Hi Dunroving, thanks for the input. Get everything you're saying. It appears ultimately all of us expats are stark raving mad/tormented one way or the other!!!
I know exactly what you mean! This morning I woke up in a depressed mood after not sleeping due to hearing the goings on from a Christmas party in the next street - then after getting into work fell into a fit of ruminating on everything I can't stand about Australia and where I live and how I can get out of here before the middle of next year - how authoritarian it is becoming, government interference in the tiniest aspect of our lives, rules, rules, warnings about this and that everywhere (yes I know it happens in the UK too ) - the isolation, superficiality, hyper-macho culture and the lack of real connection with people - BUT having said that - I also think I am very fortunate to at the moment have a good job and a house and I did benefit from a university education here and I thank this country for giving me those opportunities which I may not have had in England.

Now the challenge is to replicate that situation in the place I feel at home.

Iwas meant to see your post this morning - Merry Christmas.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:36 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonsurfer
then after getting into work fell into a fit of ruminating on everything I can't stand about Australia and where I live and how I can get out of here before the middle of next year - how authoritarian it is becoming, government interference in the tiniest aspect of our lives, rules, rules, warnings about this and that everywhere (yes I know it happens in the UK too ) - the isolation, superficiality, hyper-macho culture and the lack of real connection with people - .
Sounds like me on one of my "bad" at work days. All that Health and Safety/Nanny State mumbo jumbo, but as you say it's just like the UK anyway but different LOL!!

Old Dec 16th 2010, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

moonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant futuremoonsurfer has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Sounds like me on one of my "bad" at work days. All that Health and Safety/Nanny State mumbo jumbo, but as you say it's just like the UK anyway but different LOL!!

I get the impression many people in the UK are fed up with the nanny state and at least can see it for the codswallop a lot of it is. Here people just seem to be passively accepting and not questioning it.

Yesterday, after a month of the highest rainfall in decades across the whole of Australia, ACT government brochures came in the letterbox telling us what we 'must' do to save water and how pools and spas now need to be registered with the ACT government. People are being babied out of the ability to think for themselves in this country.

Beedubya I am so glad you finally have a date for going home, Merry Chritsmas.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:01 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression many people in the UK are fed up with the nanny state and at least can see it for the codswallop a lot of it is. Here people just seem to be passively accepting and not questioning it.

Yesterday, after a month of the highest rainfall in decades across the whole of Australia, ACT government brochures came in the letterbox telling us what we 'must' do to save water and how pools and spas now need to be registered with the ACT government. People are being babied out of the ability to think for themselves in this country.

Beedubya I am so glad you finally have a date for going home, Merry Chritsmas.
Merry Christmas to you too, Moonsurfer. My last hot one thank the Lord.

I do think common sense is disappearing everywhere, do you know at work the warehouse guys have to wear a seatbelt to drive a forklift!!!

And we are not allowed to have headache tablets in the medicine box either, oh no we cannot be trusted, we have to go to the first aid officer, get our allotted 2 and sign a book to say the reason why we need them!! One guy regularly writes in the book malaria or dysentry or sheer boredom LOL!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Dec 16th 2010 at 2:23 am.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:50 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

And yet, I live in a place where any governement intereference, even on the crucial issues that cncern the whole planet, is rejected. And it turns out people can't think straight here either, so I'm not sure you can blame the 'nanny state'

After 16 years in America, I'm eager to experience a government that cares about its people. Would be a novelty to me!
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
And yet, I live in a place where any governement intereference, even on the crucial issues that cncern the whole planet, is rejected. And it turns out people can't think straight here either, so I'm not sure you can blame the 'nanny state'

After 16 years in America, I'm eager to experience a government that cares about its people. Would be a novelty to me!
Hi Sally, my beef is really that there is no way of opting out of regulations which are endemic here that affect one on a personal level and that serve no useful purpose except to inconvenience. Bicycle helmets for example - where you can be fined in Australia for not wearing one. If I choose not to wear one and accept I may suffer head injuries if I fall off my bicycle why does this need to move from personal responsibility to being a matter that involves the law and the State? I can understand such regulations to protect children or those who for other reasons are not able to make an informed decision but feel consenting adults do not have a need for these sort of interventions by government. Merry Christmas
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:39 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Aah, moonsurfer I see what you are saying regarding personal responsibility - but if you have an accident will you be responsible for clearing up your spilled brains from the road? A compulsory $30 helmet is much cheaper than training paramedics & providing ambulances, etc etc
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JustBecause
Aah, moonsurfer I see what you are saying regarding personal responsibility - but if you have an accident will you be responsible for clearing up your spilled brains from the road? A compulsory $30 helmet is much cheaper than training paramedics & providing ambulances, etc etc

Not an easy one at all! Yes - I understand - but I pay quite a bit of tax as well as having private health insurance. I do resent having to compulsorily spend my money on ugly Chinese plastic headpieces because the government tells me it's good for my health. I'm off for a glass of wine I can't think straight
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JustBecause
And for the lifetime of trauma suffered by the person who hit you. That's the thing about 'personal responsibility' - it usually winds up hurting more than just you.

I don't have a problem with safety regulations like that. Cyclists are crazy here in New York and I am constantly scared one of them will weave in front of me in traffic. I'm glad they're at least wearing some protection.

People here in America resist government guidance on what to eat - which means I have to pay extra insurance to cover their diabetes and heart disease and cancer. Great!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Dec 16th 2010 at 1:11 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 1:59 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
And for the lifetime of trauma suffered by the person who hit you. That's the thing about 'personal responsibility' - it usually winds up hurting more than just you.

I don't have a problem with safety regulations like that. Cyclists are crazy here in New York and I am constantly scared one of them will weave in front of me in traffic. I'm glad they're at least wearing some protection.

People here in America resist government guidance on what to eat - which means I have to pay extra insurance to cover their diabetes and heart disease and cancer. Great!
Whereas here in the UK, it's every single taxpayer who shares the burden of unnecessary NHS costs for treating self-inflicted illnesses.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:51 pm
Finally Home!

Accidental double post - sorry!
Old Dec 16th 2010, 2:52 pm
Finally Home!

Originally Posted by dunroving
Whereas here in the UK, it's every single taxpayer who shares the burden of unnecessary NHS costs for treating self-inflicted illnesses.
I prefer that though - at least the people who make themselves ill are also paying in. Here that's often not the case. (cue someone telling me that all unhealthy people are scrounging off the state and not paying a penny ... in 5,4,3, 2....)

Fact is, my taxes there would be slightly lower than they are here, plus I'd be saving $1,400 a month on health insurance, so I'll take paying for British unhealthy people any day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.