Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

will US Bankruptcy show up in the UK

Wikiposts

will US Bankruptcy show up in the UK

Old Jan 3rd 2011, 10:29 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: will US Bankruptcy show up in the UK

I know there's a certain satisfaction from home ownership, but with the market as it is and mortgaging as it is, I would lean towards renting for a year or two if I were returning to the UK these days (unless you have enough cash to buy outright or get a small mortgage, in which case you could get a bargain).
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Coming from the US where there was a real crash I don't see prices going down here in anywhere near the way they did there. I see places near me selling for (in my opinion) prices that are crazily high.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 2:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
Coming from the US where there was a real crash I don't see prices going down here in anywhere near the way they did there. I see places near me selling for (in my opinion) prices that are crazily high.
I think it is also very regional, though. Where I lived in NC, prices really didn't go up between 2001 and 2007, and subsequently really didn't go down between 2007 and now. Similarly, I know areas of the UK where house prices really didn't go up after 2004. The "extremes" in some US cities do seem to have been bigger than the "extremes" in the UK, though.

I read a statistic the other day that UK prices are currently about twice what they were in 2000 (adjusted for inflation, I think).

I do think there are certain areas of the UK, and certain types of properties, that are a good deal. Problem is, they often are in economically depressed areas (like South Wales, for example). There are some fantastic deals in Ireland too, but who wants to live in a ghost town with no infrastructure?
Old Jan 4th 2011, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Pauljarv is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly I live in the south east and it appears as if there's someone somewhere who'll buy any house however high it's price.

Shame there weren't any in Boston when we were selling ours!
Old Jan 4th 2011, 7:13 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pauljarv
So true. The 'crash' in the UK seems to be pretty minor compared to places like Nevada and California. Here in NY, prices have fallen about the same as the UK so we've been lucky so far.

UK housing prices are just bonkers. I live in a 5-bed house within half an hour of Manhattan and with a direct train into the city 5 minutes walk from the house. If I sold today, it would sell for about £425K - just imagine trying to get that house within half an hour of London for £400K!! I'd be lucky to get anything like it within half an hour of Leeds for that price.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 5:23 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_vette
If I was in OP situation, I would have no problem in bending the truth.
If I was asked if I had ever been bankrupt, I would give a very firm answer 'NO'

Just get restarted again in UK, don't think back, just look forward.
If by some unfortunate situation, a bank in UK does find out you were bankrupt in USA, then just suggest that you have never been bankrupt in UK.

Let them take it from there.

'vette
Please don't misinterpret my question - it was rhetorical and not a condemnation - I guess I would lie too - it is a risk and I am really glad that I don't personally have this dilemma to deal with.