British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Will the UK ever run a US credit check? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/will-uk-ever-run-us-credit-check-844640/)

sineface Oct 7th 2014 1:01 pm

Will the UK ever run a US credit check?

I did search the site a bit for this, and responded in the other credit question, but thought I'd start a new thread anyway. Just wondering if there are any circumstances in which they will check US credit scores for rental applications, phones, etc? Our credit is great here, but obviously we have nothing in the UK yet. How on earth do people get somewhere to live when they first arrive back? My husband will already have a job for him (a transfer from his company here), will that help at all? Thanks!

dunroving Oct 7th 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Will the UK ever run a US credit check?

Originally Posted by sineface (Post 11430704)
I did search the site a bit for this, and responded in the other credit question, but thought I'd start a new thread anyway. Just wondering if there are any circumstances in which they will check US credit scores for rental applications, phones, etc? Our credit is great here, but obviously we have nothing in the UK yet. How on earth do people get somewhere to live when they first arrive back? My husband will already have a job for him (a transfer from his company here), will that help at all? Thanks!

For some purposes, a confirmed job and steady income can be sufficient. I managed to get a mortgage after being here about 6 months, based primarily on my secure job and steady income. Of course, credit is more challenging after the (w)bankers' crisis.

Sometimes, you may need to meet additional requirements (such as a larger security deposit for a rental property). I don't think most UK companies can deal with US credit record (well, "can't" or "won't" is up for discussion).

sineface Oct 7th 2014 2:20 pm

Ok. We are probably going to try and arrange for a rental home before we even get there. I know it sounds nuts but we're coming over with two little kids and four pets, so none of the family has that much extra room. Probably just extra deposit then?

dunroving Oct 7th 2014 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by sineface (Post 11430807)
Ok. We are probably going to try and arrange for a rental home before we even get there. I know it sounds nuts but we're coming over with two little kids and four pets, so none of the family has that much extra room. Probably just extra deposit then?

Considering your situation as you have described it, I wouldn't say "just" extra deposit. It depends on the landlord or letting agency - plus, having four pets poses additional complications such as far fewer choices (many landlords simply won't rent to pets, especially multiple pets) and potentially an additional deposit (that may be non-refundable) and a requirement to have the carpets professionally cleaned when you leave.

There have been some previous threads on finding rentals, also about finding rentals with pets in tow. The Search facility (drag down to "Advanced Search") should enable you to find some of them.

sineface Oct 7th 2014 2:35 pm

Yes, we have faced similar difficulties every time we have moved here in the US - the pet deposits, limitations, pet rent per pet, etc. We're (sadly) quite used to that particular rigmarole, despite the fact my youngest child has caused far more damage to any home we've ever been in than all the pets combined.

sineface Oct 7th 2014 2:35 pm

Anyway, I meant to say we're prepared for all that extra nonsense. Or at least we will be by the time we move.

dunroving Oct 7th 2014 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by sineface (Post 11430826)
Yes, we have faced similar difficulties every time we have moved here in the US - the pet deposits, limitations, pet rent per pet, etc. We're (sadly) quite used to that particular rigmarole, despite the fact my youngest child has caused far more damage to any home we've ever been in than all the pets combined.

Maybe you should keep him/her on a leash. ;)

sineface Oct 7th 2014 2:38 pm

If I could attach the leash to a stake in the back garden without CPS being called, I would consider it!

Janelle Oct 8th 2014 6:46 am

Originally Posted by sineface (Post 11430832)
If I could attach the leash to a stake in the back garden without CPS being called, I would consider it!

lol!

We came to England with one cat, and found that the majority of landlords do not want pets. Also, we needed 6 months rent paid in advance, as well as deposit because we have no credit history here. The UK and US credit services do not/will not communicate. Further, estate agents in England will insist on charging you the administration fee even though you have just arrived in England and have absolutely no credit history.

Sally Redux Oct 8th 2014 7:47 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 11430793)
For some purposes, a confirmed job and steady income can be sufficient. I managed to get a mortgage after being here about 6 months, based primarily on my secure job and steady income. Of course, credit is more challenging after the (w)bankers' crisis.

Sometimes, you may need to meet additional requirements (such as a larger security deposit for a rental property). I don't think most UK companies can deal with US credit record (well, "can't" or "won't" is up for discussion).

Unfortunately this is a serious problem for returners which we had underestimated. The companies actually can do it, because npower did for us - however no-one else would.

Sineface, is there any way your employer could assist you to start off the renting? I think we would have struggled to find something if the university had not come up with a place.

Vadio Oct 8th 2014 11:33 am

Before we moved back in 2011 we considered renting for 6 months. One agency did state that they would do an 'international' credit check, and the fee was something like £40.

Don't know any more as we ended up buying and completed prior to moving.

sineface Oct 8th 2014 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11431589)
Unfortunately this is a serious problem for returners which we had underestimated. The companies actually can do it, because npower did for us - however no-one else would.

Sineface, is there any way your employer could assist you to start off the renting? I think we would have struggled to find something if the university had not come up with a place.

Yeah, we're hoping to get a lot more information once we really start talks with them. We've just started doing some research without actively telling them we want to transfer yet. My husband is in the process of a promotion right now and we don't want to seem like we're not dedicated to his career path here. We're not looking to move for another couple of years. I imagine they will help out at least a little, or so I hope :fingerscrossed:

holly_1948 Oct 14th 2014 10:45 pm

One thing to bear in mind is that these difficulties are largely confined to London and the SouthEast. North of England, Wales or Scotland you won't have these problems.

sineface Oct 14th 2014 10:48 pm

Is that right, Holly? The furthest south we'll be is Glasgow! Aiming to veer North the longer we're there since I'm from Inverness and my family is all on the west coast / Skye. What do you think the differences will be?

Janelle Oct 15th 2014 5:04 am

Holly's comment is not our experience. We moved to Co. Durham and still had to put down 6 months rent plus security deposit in advance.