Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will trip 'home' help or hinder?

Will trip 'home' help or hinder?

Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will trip 'home' help or hinder?

Oh Gawd I don't know what to do.

Because my family don't want to go in the summer it seems too long until we can next go...thanks for all the input though.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh Gawd I don't know what to do.

Because my family don't want to go in the summer it seems too long until we can next go...thanks for all the input though.
After an almost 7 yr break I've been able to go back and forth the last 4 yrs and not feel down when I got back to the US.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
After an almost 7 yr break I've been able to go back and forth the last 4 yrs and not feel down when I got back to the US.
That's good

Are you still going to buy a place? I think that's quite a good solution.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

That's good

Are you still going to buy a place? I think that's quite a good solution.
Bought a house a few months ago.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bought a house a few months ago.
Oh congratulations.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:38 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, I assume there's no question of actually moving back. It might be best not to go back so often then. Take a holiday somewhere else.

FWIW.

We went back every few years, and never had a particular pang at leaving no return to Canada. Then a few years ago there was this "been here, done this" awareness that Canada wasn't where we wanted to live out our lives.

We're prepared to change our minds later and return, but we came here so going back is no more extreme. Except for a few picky organizational details.

Bev
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:56 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

I was slowly coming to terms with living in LA until I went to England in the summer, since then I've been absolutely awful with homesickness. I could probably juggle childcare and get over there for a short trip soon, but I wonder if people think it would make me feel better or worse?
My thoughts on it? Go back and try and get your head sorted out, spend as long as you can there too, and enjoy every second of it. You know you will anyway.
I go home every year, once or twice. I was home at Christmas, and I'll go again in April, and if I can, in September too. I wouldn't miss being here, but I'd miss the trips back there. It's one thing that I can actually look forward too, rather than just think about
How long have you been here in the US?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:02 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Wish I could say the same.
Whenever I go back, I never feel great for a good while once I get back here, and no, I wouldn't dream of not going there on holiday at every chance I get.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by englishinfl
My thoughts on it? Go back and try and get your head sorted out, spend as long as you can there too, and enjoy every second of it. You know you will anyway.
I go home every year, once or twice. I was home at Christmas, and I'll go again in April, and if I can, in September too. I wouldn't miss being here, but I'd miss the trips back there. It's one thing that I can actually look forward too, rather than just think about
How long have you been here in the US?
I've been here 3 1/2 years and am stuck in one of the early stages of culture shock
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Wish I could say the same.
Whenever I go back, I never feel great for a good while once I get back here, and no, I wouldn't dream of not going there on holiday at every chance I get.
I'm in a good place right now...I can go back to the UK whenever I want...for as long as I want. Although it's taken almost 13 years to get here.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:00 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're still at the very early stages of living in Canada ( only been here 7 months) and my OH and I agreed that we wouldn't go back until after 2 years so we wouldn't be tempted to stay in the UK just from homesickness.
7 months have passed and I am homesick and I would like to visit but I too feel this might not be the right move at the moment
it's hard when you feel you just want to see familiar things and family/close friends who really know you.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:06 pm
Banned

I've been here 3 1/2 years and am stuck in one of the early stages of culture shock
I know what you're saying.
5 1/2 years here, and the feeling hasn't changed much
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by terese677
We're still at the very early stages of living in Canada ( only been here 7 months) and my OH and I agreed that we wouldn't go back until after 2 years so we wouldn't be tempted to stay in the UK just from homesickness.
7 months have passed and I am homesick and I would like to visit but I too feel this might not be the right move at the moment
it's hard when you feel you just want to see familiar things and family/close friends who really know you.
IMHO, there's no harm in going back for a visit, it's the one thing that made it easier and that keeps me sane. (well.. sorta )
If you have the money to do it, then do it, and just enjoy being back there for a week or two.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:26 pm
Banned

I'm in a good place right now...I can go back to the UK whenever I want...for as long as I want. Although it's taken almost 13 years to get here.
So can I for the most part, I just don't because we have family come out to see us, and right now, for some of the time it's just a lot easier if I'm actually over here and not over there..
Old Jan 28th 2009, 2:28 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

I think its good to go back every so often. A good test of where you belong is whether you're happy to go home afterwards, and how gut wrenching (if at all) it is to leave the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.