Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:11 am
Just Joined

lkelly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

We've finally decided to move back to the UK and so.... I'm going thru the house decluttering before we list our house for sale.
We have a huge DVD collection but I've heard thru the grapevine that they won't work in a British DVD player???
Is someone pulling my leg?? Afterall, isn't everything made in China?? lol
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will our Canadian DVD's work in the UK?

Originally Posted by lkelly
We've finally decided to move back to the UK and so.... I'm going thru the house decluttering before we list our house for sale.
We have a huge DVD collection but I've heard thru the grapevine that they won't work in a British DVD player???
If they don't you can usually unlock the DVD player. You can either find out how to do it online or ask in The Lab forum,
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
If they don't you can usually unlock the DVD player. You can either find out how to do it online or ask in The Lab forum,
"Unlock" is this a feature most DVD have? And is it for converting dvd's???? Sorry, I'm not very techy
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

"Unlock" is this a feature most DVD have? And is it for converting dvd's???? Sorry, I'm not very techy
It's the DVD machine you unlock not the actual DVD's. I don't know too much about it myself...just what I've read on here. You should be able to find out how to unlock it online...you will need the make and model no. As Try searching in The Lab for old threads...open a new thread if you can't find what you're looking for.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 3:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It's the DVD machine you unlock not the actual DVD's. I don't know too much about it myself...just what I've read on here. You should be able to find out how to unlock it online...you will need the make and model no. As Try searching in The Lab for old threads...open a new thread if you can't find what you're looking for.
That gives me a great place to start. Thanks so much!
Old Apr 21st 2011, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Just look for a region-free DVD player on eBay, or go to Richer Sounds - they sell them. A reasonable one shouldn't cost you any more than £75 or so.

Here's a good one on the Richer Sounds website:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/...y-dvpns728-blk
Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Just look for a region-free DVD player on eBay, or go to Richer Sounds - they sell them. A reasonable one shouldn't cost you any more than £75 or so.

Here's a good one on the Richer Sounds website:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/...y-dvpns728-blk
What Rusty said!

DVD's are segregated acround the world into different regions. (On the back of your DVD box, look for a miniature "world" symbol and it will have a number in it, ie, 1 or 2, etc) and that tells you what region your DVD's are for.

Either buy a region-free DVD player when you get back to the UK - or buy one that you can unlock.

See, dead technical me, too
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:35 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Another possible solution. You copy all your CD's onto your computer (say ITunes for example). Then you have them available for playing anywhere your computer or MP3 player type device is with you around the world. Also you can then have the CD's copied onto one neatly transportable external harddrive.

Then you could possibly sell the DVD's on Ebay or similar.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:22 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

if you play DVDs through your laptop you can set it up to play any region DVDs just go to the options
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info everyone - I was about to sell all our DVD's on Kijiji - NOT NOW!! They're all coming with us!! Cheers!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

If you Google something along the lines of 'dvd hack codes' and find your make and model, you can hack the player so it will become multiregional. It's a one-time action, you don't need to ever do it again on the machine once unlocked - I did this when I moved to Canada to be able to play my British DVDs.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
if you play DVDs through your laptop you can set it up to play any region DVDs just go to the options
Not with all laptops - some, especially newer ones, are set up where they're region-free out of the box, but you're only allowed to change the region code 5 times, then it locks to the last region used, so be careful with this.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:22 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Asda sell dvd players at 12.97 pounds and are region free. I play my Canadian dvds on them no problem!
Old Apr 28th 2011, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Asda sell dvd players at 12.97 pounds and are region free. I play my Canadian dvds on them no problem!
Oh that's great!! I think Asda is our first stop when we arive, they sell everything!!!
I heard Asda is part of Walmart, do you know if that's true?
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

pTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of lightpTeronaut is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fatcat65
Just make sure that the TV that you are watching them on is 60Hz compatible* and is connected to the TV with a full SCART cable, if not using an HD/EDTV with HDMI.

*Most, if not all, new TVs are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.