British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   will moving back be difficult? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/will-moving-back-difficult-873769/)

kimberleybell07 Mar 4th 2016 8:50 pm

will moving back be difficult?

I'm originally from england and i now live in canada. it was always my plan to move back after i graduated high school turned 18. I'm not almost 18 and i graduate in june. i can't decide if i want to move back, and I'm worried that if i do i will regret it.
I'm planning on going for 2-3 months in the summer or the fall,(whenever i can afford to go).

if i choose to go back (permanently) i know that ill be able to stay with my grandparents. but will it be hard to settle back into it? since i don't remember it well, do you think it will be a hard adjustment?
Do you have any tips on how to make it an easier transition?

Editha Mar 4th 2016 9:56 pm

Re: will moving back be difficult?

How long have you been in Canada? Aren't you planning to go to uni? What are your plans for your future in the UK? What do your parents think about it?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but answers might make it easier to give you some advice.

kimberleybell07 Mar 5th 2016 12:25 am

I've been in Canada 6.5 years, i was planning on being a flight attendant so i was going to take an online course on the "Inflight Institute". I'm not sure what my plans are yet and I havent told anyone but I'm pretty sure my dad and my sister would think its a terrible plan moving back and the rest of my family would like it since they all live in England.

ldollard Mar 5th 2016 12:43 am

This is what I think you should do. Go visit your grandparents for 3 months. The first month will feel like a vacation, after that'll it'll feel more like living there. Dont talk to anyone about moving there, in fact dont even think that'll you'll be moving.

Just go and be there and experience what its like, visit areas you think you might want to live. Just travel, meet people and see places.

After 3 months you'll likely have an idea of what its like and then and only then start to think what you're next step will be.

Dont do it now otherwise you'll just cloud the experience.

quiltman Mar 5th 2016 12:59 am

Originally Posted by ldollard (Post 11886717)
This is what I think you should do. Go visit your grandparents for 3 months. The first month will feel like a vacation, after that'll it'll feel more like living there. Dont talk to anyone about moving there, in fact dont even think that'll you'll be moving.

Just go and be there and experience what its like, visit areas you think you might want to live. Just travel, meet people and see places.

After 3 months you'll likely have an idea of what its like and then and only then start to think what you're next step will be.

Dont do it now otherwise you'll just cloud the experience.

:goodpost:
From your post, I assume you were born in UK? Do you have a UK passport? If so, then yes, do as idollard says. you can easily get a part time job somewhere, even in a fast food joint to bring in some money and get a good feel for how you'd settle back, Then if you decide YES, then you can look for an airline post - Many airlines recruit in UK and offer training. Qatar Airways ran a recruitment campaign in UK a few months ago for example. Good luck with whatever you decide.:thumbup:

ldollard Mar 5th 2016 1:07 am

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 11886727)
:goodpost:
From your post, I assume you were born in UK? Do you have a UK passport? If so, then yes, do as idollard says. you can easily get a part time job somewhere, even in a fast food joint to bring in some money and get a good feel for how you'd settle back, Then if you decide YES, then you can look for an airline post - Many airlines recruit in UK and offer training. Qatar Airways ran a recruitment campaign in UK a few months ago for example. Good luck with whatever you decide.:thumbup:

Yeah shes originally from UK, so even if she doesn't, getting a UK passport should be pretty straight forward, no more than a month.

And as quiltman says, getting a job as above it pretty easy. That'll make you move back to Canada quicker than anything lol.

Editha Mar 5th 2016 6:59 am

I'd hold off on the Inflight Institute course until you know that it is necessary. A couple of minutes Googling suggested to me that the course is more likely to be a requirement for a Canadian airline than a British one.

mikelincs Mar 5th 2016 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11886835)
I'd hold off on the Inflight Institute course until you know that it is necessary. A couple of minutes Googling suggested to me that the course is more likely to be a requirement for a Canadian airline than a British one.

I believe most British aiirlines do their own courses, certainly there ahve been programmes on TV about the Virgin, BA and easyjet ones.

HKG3 Mar 5th 2016 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by kimberleybell07 (Post 11886704)
I've been in Canada 6.5 years, i was planning on being a flight attendant so i was going to take an online course on the "Inflight Institute". I'm not sure what my plans are yet and I havent told anyone but I'm pretty sure my dad and my sister would think its a terrible plan moving back and the rest of my family would like it since they all live in England.

Here is a link that may help the OP -

https://www.cityofglasgowcollege.ac....ation-course-0

kimberleybell07 Mar 5th 2016 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3 (Post 11887266)
Here is a link that may help the OP -

https://www.cityofglasgowcollege.ac....ation-course-0

Do they mean 5'2 + or 5'3 +?
Im only 5'2 so maybe i can't do that one

Editha Mar 5th 2016 10:05 pm

If you are 5'2" I think you are OK for the course. That's my reading of it, anyway.

Shirtback Mar 6th 2016 4:32 pm

Kimberley,

In addition to the advice/comments you've already received, you might like to look at becoming a Canadian citizen (if you haven't already done that) before you make the move, in case it doesn't work out & you wish to return to Canada; &/or make sure you meet PR requirements (if applicable).