Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will I have trouble at customs?

Will I have trouble at customs?

Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

pammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Will I have trouble at customs?

Flying into Glasgow via iceland on one way ticket with canadian passport, I do have my birth certificates, old uk passport and driving licence, I will have not much cash on me, maybe 2000 uk pounds, but I do have a friend Im staying with, do you foresee any possible problems for me?

Obviously yes I plan to get a job asap, Ive never been out of work long so dont expect to be again, thanks
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I have trouble at customs?

I suspect you may have problems before you board your flight if the airline is on top of things which they usually are. Why not just renew your UK passport before going?
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

The only problem I can see is that on a one way ticket and using your Canadian passport you may be denied boarding by the airline as you have no return ticket so if you are denied entry at UK the airline have to fly you back at their expense! Hopefully, your expired passport MAY serve as proof to UK border agents - NOT customs - that you have the right of abode.The thing is that UKBA may only give you a tourist visa based on your Canadian citizenship. You can check with the airline first but as it's only taking a couple of weeks to renew your Brit passport, why not do that now, then absolutely no problems. I'm sure someone like Brit in Paris will come along with a more definitive answer.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

pammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond reputepammy68 has a reputation beyond repute

I have to leave next week, long story
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

As Quiltman said. Plus I think the chances of talking yourself onto the airline are slim to none imho. The reason I say this is that I believe the airline are responsible for returning you to Canada if the UK Border agents do not let you in and they are unlikely to want to chance that situation and cost.

I really would just renew your passport. I did last year and it took 9 nine days from sending to UK from USA to receiving my new passport. Fedex and expedited service is your friend.

Last edited by vikingsail; Feb 18th 2016 at 3:34 am.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get yourself a fully flexible return ticket, and once you're in the UK cancel the return sector? A fully flexible ticket should mean you get a refund (less taxes) for the unused portion.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:48 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you are moving back to the UK then a valid British passport is the only way to guarantee you don't have any problems when boarding your flight or at the UK border.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Feb 18th 2016, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Can you get yourself a fully flexible return ticket, and once you're in the UK cancel the return sector? A fully flexible ticket should mean you get a refund (less taxes) for the unused portion.
Thanks, I think Ill call iceland air and see if I can add a return on it, I wont have time for the uk passport route, no way, too risky, Im glad I asked I thought my drivers license, birth cert, old passport would be more than enough, easier if your a refugee
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:14 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

easier if your a refugee
Almost certainly not.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pammy68
Flying into Glasgow via iceland on one way ticket with canadian passport, I do have my birth certificates, old uk passport and driving licence, I will have not much cash on me, maybe 2000 uk pounds, but I do have a friend Im staying with, do you foresee any possible problems for me?

Obviously yes I plan to get a job asap, Ive never been out of work long so dont expect to be again, thanks
Maybe the OP wish to consider applying for an emergency travel document at the local British High Commission.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

https://www.gov.uk/government/world/...mission-ottawa

The OP should get a new British passport ASAP. There is a passport office in Glasgow which offers same day or fast track passport service. You will need an appointment.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-ur...1-week-service

https://www.gov.uk/find-regional-passport-office
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:57 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

easier if your a refugee
er............no
Old Feb 20th 2016, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

easier if your a refugee
A refugee doesn't get much and would have gone through years as an asylum seeker before they are approved to be a refugee and refugees don't get benefits but they can work. Applying for asylum doesn't get them much either, a roof over their head often in shared rooms, put anywhere in the country, a few quid and they aren't allowed to work. If fact the UK has just reduced what they will give to asylum seekers. In other countries, Asylum seekers are allowed to work and get more benefit money given to them than in the UK.

You will be allowed much more then them, free NHS when you arrive and access to UK benefits after 3 months, even though you have not been contributing to the UK for years. I'm sure the asylum seekers and refugees would be happy to swap with you.

Last edited by formula; Feb 20th 2016 at 4:25 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:42 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I think Ill call iceland air and see if I can add a return on it, I wont have time for the uk passport route, no way, too risky, Im glad I asked I thought my drivers license, birth cert, old passport would be more than enough, easier if your a refugee
How did you get on?
I must admit I'm a bit confused about the lack of time, as you asked about flying a pet last December....
Old Feb 20th 2016, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

I'm in a bad situation, I can't explain, pets will stay with friend till I can get them, all support and help appreciated thanks
Old Feb 20th 2016, 6:43 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a bad situation, I can't explain, pets will stay with friend till I can get them, all support and help appreciated thanks
Sorry to hear this. What did Icelandair say?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.