Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Peasant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

I have lived in Australia for 4 years with my family and plan to go back to the UK for university at the end of this year. I know that generally you have to have been back in the UK for 3 years to be able to get home fees but would there be any chance of me getting home fees after 1 year? Has anyone else been able to do this? I was 13 when we moved here so it wasn't exactly my choice and I have spent the majority of my life in England and I do not plan on returning to Australia once I get back to the UK. Would these reasons be good enough to be granted home fees if I speak to the University or do you have to have very good reasons?
I am hoping to go to the University of Liverpool if that helps.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Peasant
I have lived in Australia for 4 years with my family and plan to go back to the UK for university at the end of this year. I know that generally you have to have been back in the UK for 3 years to be able to get home fees but would there be any chance of me getting home fees after 1 year? Has anyone else been able to do this? I was 13 when we moved here so it wasn't exactly my choice and I have spent the majority of my life in England and I do not plan on returning to Australia once I get back to the UK. Would these reasons be good enough to be granted home fees if I speak to the University or do you have to have very good reasons?

Thanks in advance.
People on here have had conflicting answers from various universities, some have got in with home fees, others haven't. I suspect it may have to do with the university, the course and how over/under subscribed it is. There have been reports of university applications falling because of Brexit, whether that will make any difference has to be seen. Officially you have to have lived in the UK for the three years just prior to the course starting.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Will I be able to get University Home fees when moving back to the UK?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
People on here have had conflicting answers from various universities, some have got in with home fees, others haven't. I suspect it may have to do with the university, the course and how over/under subscribed it is. There have been reports of university applications falling because of Brexit, whether that will make any difference has to be seen. Officially you have to have lived in the UK for the three years just prior to the course starting.
Well I suppose all I can do is hope that I can get in with home fees to the uni I want then
Old Mar 17th 2017, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance.
if you are refused home fees after stating the above, write to your MP ( the area you used to live in perhaps) and state your case. you could also outline how long your parents worked and contributed taxwise in the UK.
I know someone who did this ( who was short of the three years ). the MP wrote to dept of education and they wrote back saying there is discretion by unis. the person in question then sent the copy of that letter to the univeristy and they were accepted on home fees.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by angie_329
if you are refused home fees after stating the above, write to your MP ( the area you used to live in perhaps) and state your case. you could also outline how long your parents worked and contributed taxwise in the UK.
I know someone who did this ( who was short of the three years ). the MP wrote to dept of education and they wrote back saying there is discretion by unis. the person in question then sent the copy of that letter to the univeristy and they were accepted on home fees.
Thanks very much for that response - it gives me some hope at last! I will definitely consider doing that. My parents have worked and paid taxes in the UK pretty much all of their lives so that would definitely be worth mentioning.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 1:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well I suppose all I can do is hope that I can get in with home fees to the uni I want then
What sort of visa are your parents on? Is it in any way temporary/ subject to renewal, or are you all permanent residents/citizens? ..... Annecdotally, it appears that if you are overseas "temporarily" you should be able to argue that you are still entitled to home fees, but that if you become a permanent resident or take citizenship it makes you ineligible for the home fee rate.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 2:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
What sort of visa are your parents on? Is it in any way temporary/ subject to renewal, or are you all permanent residents/citizens? ..... Annecdotally, it appears that if you are overseas "temporarily" you should be able to argue that you are still entitled to home fees, but that if you become a permanent resident or take citizenship it makes you ineligible for the home fee rate.
The OP said on another thread that he and his family are all dual citizens.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
The OP said on another thread that he and his family are all dual citizens.
Yeah that is right so unfortunately it makes it a little bit harder to convince them that I will be in England permanently.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 3:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah that is right so unfortunately it makes it a little bit harder to convince them that I will be in England permanently.
With respect, that is the mirror image of your problem - you need to convince them that you were out of the UK temporarily.
Old Mar 17th 2017, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
With respect, that is the mirror image of your problem - you need to convince them that you were out of the UK temporarily.
yeah, sorry, that's what I was trying to say but I just didn't word it very well
Old Mar 17th 2017, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting - we went for a walk around a college last week in the UK and have also been in contact with a University and both have said we have to pay international fees ( not nearly as much as they are in the US!! ).

"you need to convince them that you were out of the UK temporarily" is an interesting statement by Pulaksi ( thank Pulaski as I am going to try that card ) but I see that you have dual citizenship so this could be a problem.
Good Luck
Old Mar 17th 2017, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Also be aware that even if you don't qualify for home fees or education loans there are still a few scholarships available. Especially if you are seeking a vocational, as contrasted with academic, degree.
For example see
Trinity House Merchant Navy Scholarship Scheme
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:12 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Is it access to student loans you need or are you concerned about the actual difference between international and home fees?
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Is it access to student loans you need or are you concerned about the actual difference between international and home fees?
It's mainly just the student loans that I am concerned about. I don't think it would be possible for me to go back if I had to pay international fees as they are so expensive.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a plan. Come back. Work for three years. THEN go to uni. Hey presto, domestic rates for student fees, and also eligibility for student loans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.