British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Will global economic problems delay your return to UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/will-global-economic-problems-delay-your-return-uk-736127/)

brithampton Oct 18th 2011 8:21 pm

Will global economic problems delay your return to UK?

I've been reading the forums for a while now and finally joined the fray. This is the first forum I've ever joined! Like many of you, I am dreadfully homesick for the UK and it just seems to increase every day. It's actually making me depressed now. I think I first really felt it back in 2006 and then would go through stages when I thought I was perfectly happy in the U.S but it's just increased to a point where I now feel pretty desperate to go back home. I agree with many of your comments that life is so expensive and overall quality here is just not comparable to what I see friends and family doing in the UK. Anyway, my question is whether you think the economic problems affecting pretty much everywhere right now - certainly the U.S and UK - will mean that your return to the UK will be delayed/deferred or in fact be accelerated? My husband already thinks that he has spent too long out of the UK job market and so I dread the thought that if things are squeezed too much further, then the chance to go back to jobs in the UK will mean we really are stuck here. What do you guys think?

jemima55 Oct 18th 2011 8:35 pm

Re: Will global economic problems delay your return to UK?

They already did once, as all was gloom and doom when our first deadline expired. I find that I cant take the worries of the world upon my shoulders and guess at what every scenario (staying or going) is going to bring. When I was in the UK the news was always dreadful and somehow we both had jobs. I think, because I am in another country I just notice the bad news more. also the British media doesnt have a reputation for exactly being cheery. I`m willing to chance it and go back, because I prefer living in the UK to living in the USA. If I held out here forever waiting for the day a British newspaper said the economy was on the up it could take a long time! Also, it`s a worldwide economic depression, or so they say!

Mummy in the foothills Oct 18th 2011 9:02 pm

No they won't, we'll just be going with less money to buy a house due to the drop in house prices here.

Jerseygirl Oct 18th 2011 9:03 pm

The only thing that keeps us in the US is the fact that our daughter has made a life for herself in Toronto. Those who are unsettled and have kids...my advice is to move back before they go to college/uni.

jemima55 Oct 18th 2011 9:32 pm

I always feel sorry for the financial reporters on BBC World news (Aaron Heslehurst and Tanya Beckett). They havent had much positive news to report in so long from anywhere really. They really should give them some stories about kitten rescues to cheer them up!

dunroving Oct 18th 2011 9:45 pm

I think the global economic situation potentially affects poeple moving away from, or back to, the UK.

However, like a lot of issues on here, it's very individual. It can depend on where you are moving from (some areas in the US haven't experienced house price drops, believe it or not), where you are moving to (some areas in the UK have great house bargains to be snapped up), what profession you are in, how close you are to retirement.

It's always helpful to hear about other people's experiences and viewpoints, but sometimes what other people have to say is irrelevant to your situation. Thankfully, with the internet, you can research job availability, house prices, etc. Just don't be too put off by the media coverage, but don't expect a bed or roses either. In academia, for example, jobs in some areas are extremely few and far between (and mostly at low ranks). Same in the US - most posts these days are for assistant professors.

I don't think things will change much for the better any time in the next 5 years, possibly much longer, so I wouldn't delay if I were you.

Brigette Oct 18th 2011 10:34 pm

As of right now, I am not deterred. I am currently in graduate school and am hoping that even though the market is tough I will be able to get work. My career is on the "shortage occupation list" so hopefully I will be able to get something quickly:fingerscrossed:

Returnee Oct 19th 2011 12:24 am

It looks like the cost of living in the U.K. has gotten worse:

‘An epic failure’ as price rises hit 20-year high
Prices are rising at their fastest rate for 20 years, at 5.6% higher than last year according to the Retail Prices Index (RPI), driven by steep rises in gas and electricity bills.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/-An...27947.html?x=0

Jerseygirl Oct 19th 2011 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Returnee (Post 9682787)
It looks like the cost of living in the U.K. has gotten worse:

‘An epic failure’ as price rises hit 20-year high'
Prices are rising at their fastest rate for 20 years, at 5.6% higher than last year according to the Retail Prices Index (RPI), driven by steep rises in gas and electricity bills.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/-An...27947.html?x=0

Chicken Licken the sky is falling in...

chris955 Oct 19th 2011 3:38 am

:rofl: I would like to say he is one of a kind but unfortunately most forums are full of trolls.
The world economic situation is having no effect on our decision whatsoever. Life is too short to worry about inflation figures and how often bins are emptied or anything else to be honest. If you know inside you will be happier in whatever country you are going to or returning to then go for it and forget the doom and gloom and trolls.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9682811)
Chicken Licken the sky is falling in...

roaringmouse Oct 19th 2011 9:44 am

I think there are probably some people making their return to the UK sooner at the moment - those who are married to a non-EEA citizen that requires a visa. It's meant quite a few people have found that potential changes in the law as almost resulted in a "now or never" kind of decision on applying for the visa and going, before the rules change (probably in April 2012).

paulpur Oct 19th 2011 3:13 pm

we arent really letting the economic situation decide what we are doing or when we are doing it , we have our own reasons for moving back and when we are moving back..the only thing bothering us was the changes to the visa situation that would be coming in sometime around April 2012, but we have discovered that my wife is entitled to an irish passport so we are probably just going to get that sorted out and then when the time comes , just jump on plane without having to worry about visa's and such hehe

robin1234 Oct 19th 2011 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by roaringmouse (Post 9683333)
I think there are probably some people making their return to the UK sooner at the moment - those who are married to a non-EEA citizen that requires a visa. It's meant quite a few people have found that potential changes in the law as almost resulted in a "now or never" kind of decision on applying for the visa and going, before the rules change (probably in April 2012).

Yes, the visa situation is getting more challenging and in our case, if we'd acted differently in the 1980s .. thought ahead a bit .. life would be easier. We lived in the UK, my wife had the ILR & of course could have become a British citizen, but we didn't do that & now she'll have to start again at the beginning with forms to fill, £££ to pay, and the test to take! Still, after being together 40 years, I'm hoping the authorities don't suspect us of a marriage of convenience! Convenience? Quite the opposite :sneaky:

In her case there is another stumbling block; she took the British driving test in the mid 80s and failed. That pissed her off so bad I'm pretty sure she'll refuse to get a provisional licence and go through that again.

But in terms of economic problems affecting our decision whether or not to move back, no, because we'll be retired so have income sources that are available anywhere in the world (tax complications notwithstanding.) While I don't expect to get a bargain in terms of buying a house or flat, it is MUCH less stressful looking at property in a very sluggish market than in a lively market when unless you make an offer immediately, the chance of getting that particular property is gone. Now, we can look at a property one day, and look at it again six months or a year later!!

Wub Oct 19th 2011 11:20 pm

Yes....and no, global economic problems won't delay our return to the UK but as we're at that 'pre-retirement', age or phase of our lives we're mindful of the fact that we do have well paying jobs out here and the opportunity to save a bit ready for retirement.

If the jobs disappear we'll be on the first flight home with enough savings to manage for a few months while looking about.

There seem to be mixed messages everywhere regarding the jobs situation back home. Its this more than anything else that makes me a bit nervous about giving up what we have here and returning to the 'great unknown', over there. And yet there's a part of me that know everything will be alright if we do just go for it.....

So, yes....and no!

Mecano Oct 20th 2011 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Wub (Post 9684750)
Yes....and no, global economic problems won't delay our return to the UK but as we're at that 'pre-retirement', age or phase of our lives we're mindful of the fact that we do have well paying jobs out here and the opportunity to save a bit ready for retirement.

If the jobs disappear we'll be on the first flight home with enough savings to manage for a few months while looking about.

There seem to be mixed messages everywhere regarding the jobs situation back home. Its this more than anything else that makes me a bit nervous about giving up what we have here and returning to the 'great unknown', over there. And yet there's a part of me that know everything will be alright if we do just go for it.....

So, yes....and no!

I agree, in our case we have enough savings for a couple of years in preparation for a tough jobs market. However; having no kids makes it easier, we both are older and pragmatic. What's the point of waiting more time? If you have decided to do it then do it, besides London should be fun next year with the Jubilee and Olympics :p