Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Wife coming to UK on visa-free entry before or during spouse visa application

Wife coming to UK on visa-free entry before or during spouse visa application

Old Dec 19th 2018, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

mark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of lightmark_sheffield is a glorious beacon of light
Question Wife coming to UK on visa-free entry before or during spouse visa application

Hello,

Our plan is for me (a British National) to move back to the UK first and get settled before my wife and kid come and join me. If I am currently living in the UK and they want to come and visit me for a few weeks can they come in on visa-free entry? I imagine that at this time the spouse visa application would either not have been started or would be being processed.

My son has a British passport but my wife only holds a Taiwanese passport. I am worried that this might look suspicious at immigration control in the UK and they may be turned away. Is there anything I can do before hand to make sure that they can come and visit me? Is there a gov department I should contact? They would both be travelling with return tickets.

Thanks,

Mark
Old Dec 19th 2018, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife coming to UK on visa-free entry before or during spouse visa applicatio

Always a risk to visit if the application has been started.

Wife should have proof that she is returning to Taiwan - return ticket, job/accommodation/responsibilities in Taiwan.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 9:36 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wife coming to UK on visa-free entry before or during spouse visa applicatio

Coming when the application is in progress is unlikely to be possible as your wife will usually be required to submit her passport. Coming beforehand is not necessarily a problem but she should follow SanDiegogirl’s advice.