Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Widowed parent to settle in UK

Wikiposts

Widowed parent to settle in UK

Old Aug 28th 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute
Default Widowed parent to settle in UK

A friend of mine, a Jamaican citizen, would like to settle in the UK where her children have been citizens for many years. She is in good health, has a property in the UK, draws a pension and has considerable savings. She worked here for many years. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how an application for a settlement visa or another appropriate visa might be successful? I know that sponsoring parents has become much more difficult under the new rules, but I would hope her savings might help in positive consideration being given to her application.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Widowed parent to settle in UK

Originally Posted by michali
A friend of mine, a Jamaican citizen, would like to settle in the UK where her children have been citizens for many years. She is in good health, has a property in the UK, draws a pension and has considerable savings. She worked here for many years. Does anyone have any knowledge as to how an application for a settlement visa or another appropriate visa might be successful? I know that sponsoring parents has become much more difficult under the new rules, but I would hope her savings might help in positive consideration being given to her application.
Hi michali

It sounds like your friend may have been a perfect candidate for the retired person of independent means visa, however, this category has been closed.

As far as I know, children over 18 can only sponsor parents in the Adult Dependent Relative category but clearly, she does not fit the criteria for that.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...rly-dependent/

Other thoughts, does she have any claim to an ancestry visa? This would require her to be actively working for 5 years in the UK before being eligible for settlement.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...g/uk-ancestry/

And the old chestnut, the returning resident visa.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/vi...ing-residents/

Whilst this option may seem at first glance to be a done deal in your friend's case, it appears in practice to rarely be granted but may be worth a shot.

Last edited by larrabee; Aug 29th 2013 at 4:11 am.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. It does seem a long shot to try the returning resident route but it looks like that might be the only way and may not be successful. It seems so shortsighted to me to refuse settlement of someone who may well bring a substantial amount of money to the UK and could use that for any medical treatment she might need in the future.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 7:17 am
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Is the large monetary large enough for investor visa.
Returning resident may be a long shot but could well be worth it even it went to appeal, depends how long she has been out of the UK etc
Why not post on an immigration website and get expert help, www.immigrationboards.com may be of use.
Old Aug 29th 2013, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I have also posted on immigration boards an received similar responses. I doubt the money, though sufficient to keep her for the rest of her life, would be enough to get an investor visa.