Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why would you move back to the UK?

Why would you move back to the UK?

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to allmidwifetanya is a name known to all
Default Re: Why would you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
Why would anyone want to move back to the UK?

Apart from missing family and friends............?????
I feel guilty on a daily basis for bringing the kids here...away from their grandparents in the UK...Sometimes I feel like going back
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving back to the UK next summer. It has not been an easy decision, but I find that my life here has somehow come to an end. It's hard to explain, but I find that I am not growing any more in this part of the world. I could move somewhere else in the US, but to be honest, the thought of starting over somewhere new with no friends to help me is a little daunting. My parents are getting older and have both been quite ill over the last few years. The other reason is that I want to do a Phd and a lot of courses over in the UK are part time (and cheaper than the US). So, it's a combination of things. I am going to miss my friends here terribly and I am already getting sad about it, but it is the right thing to do at this point in my life. I am a citizen and I can always come back if I wanted to.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Just to be 'myself' again, with people who know me, understand my sense of humour, and to have a social life again with people who actually want to get together and have some fun. For that, I yearn to go back. And I will!
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

The UK is a pretty good place to live in my experience.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caroline G
The UK is a pretty good place to live in my experience.
and it isn't for me, so who is right??

Edited to add:
I realised after posting that it looked like I was having a go at you, which I wasn't. I was pointing out to any other readers that some will like where they live or have lived and some won't.

Last edited by northernbird; Oct 23rd 2006 at 6:21 am.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:19 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=simongb]I want to do a Phd and a lot of courses over in the UK are part time (and cheaper than the US). QUOTE]

have you taken a look at the "avoiding overseas student fees" thread? If not it may be worth a look...

Mel
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
and it isn't for me, so who is right??

Edited to add:
I realised after posting that it looked like I was having a go at you, which I wasn't. I was pointing out to any other readers that some will like where they live or have lived and some won't.
I read it the way you intended it . I actually liked living in the UK very much and really like living in Australia. Makes it bloody hard deciding which country to stay and live in.

In my perfect world I'ld live 6months in each but lack of money, work and schooling won't allow this
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:46 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by simongb
I am moving back to the UK next summer. It has not been an easy decision, but I find that my life here has somehow come to an end. It's hard to explain, but I find that I am not growing any more in this part of the world. I could move somewhere else in the US, but to be honest, the thought of starting over somewhere new with no friends to help me is a little daunting. My parents are getting older and have both been quite ill over the last few years. The other reason is that I want to do a Phd and a lot of courses over in the UK are part time (and cheaper than the US). So, it's a combination of things. I am going to miss my friends here terribly and I am already getting sad about it, but it is the right thing to do at this point in my life. I am a citizen and I can always come back if I wanted to.
Brave of you & can understand much of what you say.
Made several big decisions in my brief 39 yrs & learned its best not to second guess (if you don't mind the advice) and just forge ahead after you've made the decision. Sounds like you've thought about it, now you just have to do it. Good luck to you.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 10:52 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
As matt says its a survival instinct...do we shag this person, fight them or run the fek away.

Theres a lot involved, from eye contact, to that elusive "chemistry".
I shagged her, ran the fek away (from the UK), married her and now I fight her.

Proof positive that you can have the best of all worlds.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=mika24me]
I want to do a Phd and a lot of courses over in the UK are part time (and cheaper than the US). QUOTE]

have you taken a look at the "avoiding overseas student fees" thread? If not it may be worth a look...

Mel
Thanks Mike. I will check it out!
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:11 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=simongb]
Originally Posted by mika24me

Thanks Mike. I will check it out!

I looked at doing my masters and diploma in OZ and it was over $10,000 for the course!

NZ was only marginally cheaper.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rugbymatt]

I looked at doing my masters and diploma in OZ and it was over $10,000 for the course!

NZ was only marginally cheaper.

You should try the US. :scared:
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:19 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Jerseygirl]
Originally Posted by rugbymatt

You should try the US. :scared:

With my passport and the fact i have lived in the middle east for so long it is hard for me to get in!

Plus the fact my grandfather was a Fabian, I'm not really what they are looking for.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
Just to be 'myself' again, with people who know me, understand my sense of humour, and to have a social life again with people who actually want to get together and have some fun. For that, I yearn to go back. And I will!
Why can't you be yourself? Try looking elsewhere for people who want to have fun.
Old Oct 24th 2006, 12:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=rugbymatt]
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl

With my passport and the fact i have lived in the middle east for so long it is hard for me to get in!

Plus the fact my grandfather was a Fabian, I'm not really what they are looking for.

Sorry.

The point I was trying to make was the cost of US uni/college fees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.