Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Why would you move back to the UK?

Why would you move back to the UK?

Old Oct 19th 2006, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why would you move back to the UK?

Originally Posted by northernbird
I don't mean to be argumentative but how can you know after 6 weeks whether you like it or not, I have had longer holidays.
You know I used to agree with that, but after seeing another batch of people go back to the UK I am beginning to think those first instincts in the first few weeks are pretty important.

Were in the process, again of saying goodbye to another batch of friends returning overseas, all of them say the same thing, had doubts almost from the beginning. Met a lady from toronto at the gym, she married an aussie and has been here 26 years she had instant dislikes and they never went away.

Australia seems to be a real love/hate place, its either lovestruck honeymoon, or get me out of here moment.

Must say some of my initial concerns have never gone away and I didnt emigrate via the daily mail, I emigrated with an aussie.

If you dont like it get out, its the right thing because you see so many people who have been here bloody ages who now say its too late to get out, thats no way to live but its a reality for many.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:01 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh lots of reasons, like (as they come to mind):
- quick access to lots of great towns and cities at the weekends, like Winchester, Chichester, Brighton, London...
- always close to the countryside, rivers, and coast
- great museums and galleries
- fascinating heritage and architecture
- good restaurants and take aways
- fabulous landscapes
- the seasons, e.g. the amazing colours of autumn right now
- the small size - short flight even to the highlands
- far better opportunities, pay and working conditions than many countries
- excellent universities
- generally good value and wide variety of food
- good education compared to many countries
- good healthcare system compared to many countries
- diversity of environment over short distances
- ease of access to other countries and cultures, including all of Europe and North-East USA within a few hours
- mild weather for most of the year
- brilliant British sense of humour
- world class TV shows
- probably the best music scene in the world
- the arts
- Vibrant and brilliant cities: London, Edinburgh, York, Cambridge, Glasgow, Oxford, Belfast, Manchester, Chester...
- a social life that is probably a bit too hectic
- and of course many, many, many amazing people that we we love and can now see regularly.

That's why!
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:03 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
- quick access to lots of great towns and cities at the weekends, like Winchester, Chichester, Brighton, London...
- fabulous landscapes
- excellent universities
- ease of access to other countries and cultures, including all of Europe and North-East USA within a few hours
- world class TV shows
- the arts
- Vibrant and brilliant cities: London, Edinburgh, York, Cambridge, Glasgow, Oxford, Belfast, Manchester, Chester...
- and of course many, many, many amazing people that we we love and can now see regularly.

That's why!
Great list Shoz
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:06 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Well then we have to agree to disagree. One thing I learned in my job is the ability to weigh someone up very fast. Smell a lie and spot the BS. Had to.

Did you know that your impression of someone is made within the first 10 seconds?
I didn't know that AWP, interesting.

Like you said we will have to agree to disagree.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:08 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Well how long is "Time"?

a week?
a month?
6 months?
a year?
10 years?
Couldn't answer that one so I s'pose its an individual thing. I think because I don't have any ties anywhere it makes it easier for me and I really should try and have some empathy for others who aren't quite as hard as me.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:09 pm
Gutter Gob!!

- fabulous landscapes
- excellent universities
- world class TV shows
- the arts

That's why!
excellent reply and sums it up for most returnees.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 11:11 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by jad n rich
You know I used to agree with that, but after seeing another batch of people go back to the UK I am beginning to think those first instincts in the first few weeks are pretty important.

Were in the process, again of saying goodbye to another batch of friends returning overseas, all of them say the same thing, had doubts almost from the beginning. Met a lady from toronto at the gym, she married an aussie and has been here 26 years she had instant dislikes and they never went away.

Australia seems to be a real love/hate place, its either lovestruck honeymoon, or get me out of here moment.

Must say some of my initial concerns have never gone away and I didnt emigrate via the daily mail, I emigrated with an aussie.

If you dont like it get out, its the right thing because you see so many people who have been here bloody ages who now say its too late to get out, thats no way to live but its a reality for many.
excellent reply. its not just about australia though i saw the same when I was in the US and in Canada, people got with their gut and up sticks and move back to UK after a few weeks.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

- fabulous landscapes
- excellent universities
- world class TV shows
- the arts

That's why!
Brilliant list. Thank you for writing this, I agree with everything on it.
You are right with every single point, now I am even more homesick! I am going to show it to my Aussie hubby to remind him what he is missing from the UK. He lived there for 10 years.

All the best to you, you lucky thing you.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:06 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

- fabulous landscapes
- excellent universities
- world class TV shows
- the arts

That's why!
Great List - funny how these are all things that we can take for granted until we leave them behind. Before we left the UK, we moaned and complained about things that didn't even affect us (Daily Mail Syndrome), instead of appreciating the things that we had. I for one will appreciate it when I get back - can't wait.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 2:46 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone
You are totally missing the point!!!!

Cant understand why people make the effort to move over here and expect the same as where they were????? Many move back because it is not the same as the UK (as many have posted on here)

Of course its not!!!!!! Its B****y Australia!!!!!!!
People move back not just because they miss their families, but because their life-style was better in the UK rather than in OZ.

Not everyone had a bad time in UK...some of us did have a great life in the UK and if OZ doesn't match up to it, or even betters it, then whats the point in staying??

Sometimes it's not a matter of Hating where you emigrated to...it's a matter of what you 'prefer'....and if thats the UK then so what!!! why would this offend you?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:05 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Exile
Nobody expects it to be the same. It has to be significantly better to justify such a huge move. And many people realize only when they get here and live here for an extended time that it isn't.
The rubbish about people expecting the UK with sun is trotted out again and again by those who are insecure about the move and need to explain away all the people going back. This enables them to maintain the comforting illusion that the very real problems some people have here don't actually exist.
Absolutely agree with the points I've put in red. Couldn't agree with you more. You have to have a go at it to realise it, we fit into this category. It is just NOT significantly better to justify what we've left behind in the UK, such as family, decent education, proximity to Europe etc etc
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:34 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Because its not full of Australians?
You've never been to Earl's Court have you?
Old Oct 20th 2006, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman

lol. Earl's court is now too expensive for Aussie backpackers.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:24 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rushman
Not since about the 1990 motor show. NEC is where it's at these days mate.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

I would move back to the uk if it did not work out over seas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.