Why we are going home

Old Apr 26th 2007, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

zerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to beholdzerohero is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Why we are going home

Originally Posted by stardust
we shouldn't judge all English teenagers by the few who are hanging about street corners or that we read about in the daily Express!
It seems many people who have good/reasonable lives do want to leave the UK because of what they read in the Daily Mail/Express about how bad life is here (it isn't!). In January/February the British weather will always be dismal but there are plenty of things that make up for it.
I always consider 'If I did the same job in another country would my life be much better?' The answer is invariably 'no'.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, with there being so many oppotunities of living in the world and places more accessible to everyone that there was probably even 10 years ago. What made people chose the other side of the world. When I went in early 90's and spent the next 12 years there I found I loved it, but the world wasn't so open and oppotunties were probaly not as easy.

Now I'm not too sure I would like Oz as much and I live now in Spain, commute to UK and also work in other countries. That gives me a more perfect life, and I've achieved my lifestyle by getting what I want out of it and doing what has been needed to do it without going back to Oz (which I initially missed - but don't anymore apart from friends). I think you can make dreams come true, but it takes a bit of creativity of making it happen. I personally think there are better places/lifestyles than UK and Oz nowadays and with flights being so cheap it is easy to live in another country and work in another....so many Europeans are doing it which was unheard of years ago. I don't think the choice has to be now UK or Oz if either don't ring all the bells.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Why we are going home

[QUOTE=stardust;4697808]Hi everyone (a warning this is going to be long)
Just thought I would post about my experiences in Oz and why we are returning in July after 6 months.QUOTE]

To emigrate takes commitment ,to return takes courage. A bit like calling off a wedding really! No one will think any the worse of you, including yourselves. Look foward to lots of happy days in YOUR country. It is pretty damn great here you know!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold

Good luck Stardust and hope your Mum is ok.
Yep, never underestimate the tug of family!

Plants
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:54 pm
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PLANTS
Good luck Stardust and hope your Mum is ok.
Yep, never underestimate the tug of family!

Plants
Yes! I have extended family here and even though they love me and I get on ok with them, I am a little on the outside of everything. I told my brother in the UK that I am thinking of coming back and his reaction made me realise how much I belong with my close family there in the UK.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

daisylilymum is an unknown quantity at this point

To emigrate takes commitment ,to return takes courage. A bit like calling off a wedding really! No one will think any the worse of you, including yourselves. Look foward to lots of happy days in YOUR country. It is pretty damn great here you know![/QUOTE]

I like that

Stardust: You are definately doing the right thing. I've been to Oz both backpacking and then with PR. I returned as I was horribly homesick - that was back in 1997. Last year my OH, me, Daisy & Lil were filling all the forms in to return (ping pong for me!), OH never been before & really keen. I was never too sure about the whole thing (see my previous posts!).
Anyway, my Dad became really ill & I made my decision that I REALLY did not want to go. Those dreadful homesick feelings came back to me - & they really are horrendous - you have to have been there to appreciate it.
Cut a long story short (not!) Dad died in November, aged 65. I am SO glad I didn't go back and that I was home with my mum and family.
I totally understand where TraceyW is coming from, but also agree that your Dad would've been so proud of you for emigrating & would have wanted you to live your life. My Dad said just that, he said if we wanted to give it a go then we must.
I believe all things happen for a reason and we shouldn't have regrets. Just use these "mistakes" as a learning experience. My Oz experiences and near miss have all taught me so much and made me a stronger, more appreciative and nicer (I hope) person.

Anyway, droned on for too long, really just meant to send you, Stardust & TraceyW some karma

Last edited by daisylilymum; Apr 26th 2007 at 10:02 pm. Reason: spelling!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

It seems that many who try OZ expect it to be better when IMO, why should it be, the main structure of the country is no better than the UK so really the only benefit to most is sunshine (mind you thats a killer anyway). I would never emigrate without having a job to go to, its asking for trouble.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 6:42 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ezzkazz
It seems that many who try OZ expect it to be better when IMO, why should it be, the main structure of the country is no better than the UK so really the only benefit to most is sunshine (mind you thats a killer anyway). I would never emigrate without having a job to go to, its asking for trouble.
You are so right. We sell up, pack in our jobs, wave goodbye to family and friends and treck across the world expecting to find some kind of Utopia

The thing is though we listen to all the crap sprouted out of the media and from people who've been there and think that it's going to be so much better than here. So perfect, so idyllic. So many people I've spoken to since we returned just can't imagine why we would want to come back from such a wonderful place where everything is perfect. None of them have ever been of course.

Why is that?
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

ezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud ofezzkazz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LouiseD
You are so right. We sell up, pack in our jobs, wave goodbye to family and friends and treck across the world expecting to find some kind of Utopia

The thing is though we listen to all the crap sprouted out of the media and from people who've been there and think that it's going to be so much better than here. So perfect, so idyllic. So many people I've spoken to since we returned just can't imagine why we would want to come back from such a wonderful place where everything is perfect. None of them have ever been of course.

Why is that?
They watch too much Neighbours!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 7:37 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

They watch too much Neighbours!
Scary but you are spot on. People have actually said to me that Australia is a wonderful place, a great place to live, a fantastic lifestyle, etc., etc. I ask them whereabouts they've been and they reply "well I haven't but I've seen it on TV"
Old Apr 28th 2007, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Scary but you are spot on. People have actually said to me that Australia is a wonderful place, a great place to live, a fantastic lifestyle, etc., etc. I ask them whereabouts they've been and they reply "well I haven't but I've seen it on TV"
I'm not going to judge others but for someone to leave their home, their job, their family to go to another country without seeing it, without a job and possibly a home then its a recipe for disaster. Especially if they have young children in tow. It makes me so cross the ones that do this without thinking about the consequences of their actions.
Old Apr 28th 2007, 9:09 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Just out of interest, with there being so many oppotunities of living in the world and places more accessible to everyone that there was probably even 10 years ago. What made people chose the other side of the world.
I think the obvious answer is that a lot of people think that moving to another English speaking country will be a lot easier than having to learn a new language. The list of countries that speak English and have a need for immigrants isn't a very long one...so they all head off to OZ/NZ.

Ironic, as being a foreigner in a country were it's obvious that you are a foreigner can be easier, in some ways.
Old May 4th 2007, 6:57 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Too right!! I hold my hand up to expecting it to be better and it isn't.

I was just in Boots yesterday and the lady asked why the kids were not at at school today - so I explained that we're home from Oz on holiday and she looked at me and said "Oh you LUCKy thing living out there....blah blah blah....." I said that we were actually hoping to come back for good next year and she scrunched her face up and said "Do you REALLY want to come back here?" and I replied "Oh Yes.....I've done it...I've lived there and its no better than living here!!!" She couldn't believe it!!!

So far everyone has been friendly enough. Two young "hoodies" rang their bike bells at us today to warn us they were coming down the footpath and when we moved aside they slowed down and said "Thankyou". I thought.....so it's not all bad here at all.

Also seem some "Poles".....they were pretty young twenty year olds busy at work in a cafe!!! I know they were because of their name badges.

So far I'm loving being back home!!
Old May 5th 2007, 4:09 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to judge others but for someone to leave their home, their job, their family to go to another country without seeing it, without a job and possibly a home then its a recipe for disaster. Especially if they have young children in tow. It makes me so cross the ones that do this without thinking about the consequences of their actions.
I would hazard a guess and say that everyone who emigrates is excited during the process and doesn't think about what will happen, thats why so many give themselves such a hard time if it doesn't work out. Nothing wrong with not liking the destination, it is a far bigger and braver decsion to admit it isn't for you than the decision to come in the first place.
Old May 5th 2007, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best

I was just in Boots yesterday and the lady asked why the kids were not at at school today - so I explained that we're home from Oz on holiday and she looked at me and said "Oh you LUCKy thing living out there....blah blah blah....." I said that we were actually hoping to come back for good next year and she scrunched her face up and said "Do you REALLY want to come back here?" and I replied "Oh Yes.....I've done it...I've lived there and its no better than living here!!!" She couldn't believe it!!!
Had that little scene so many times whilst in UK in january. Cannot work out why everyone calls the UK shop assistants miserable , most spoke to us, be it just a quick "thanks love" or a "where are you from, ohhhhhhh wish I was you, australia ohhhhhhhhh that must be paradise." Always gave them a big smile and told them it has the same problems as anywhere else but stinking hot and we were glad to be out of it for a while. Poor beggars thought we were mad

Enjoy your trip back, we loved every minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.