why Oz?

Old Sep 14th 2004, 7:12 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: why Oz?

i think you have hit the nail on the head. a lot of people go for jobs or relationships and undoubtedly the gap year plays a part, but I think the uk media attitude feeding people that uk is basically shit and anywhere with hot weather is fantastic plays a big part.

plus oz gets major brownie points with the average loonie left uk media journalist as they see it as some sort of model of egalitarianism untouched by thatcherite policies which so ruined their uk of the 1970's. the number of times oz is referred to here as the perfect country is unbelieveable but unless you have lived there you would not understand that most of what is said is at best only half the story or worst just untrue.

i just wish people would spend as much effort trying to fix their local communities and addressing their own issues before running away to the otherside of the world in search of a pipe dream fuelled by a biased media.

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
yeah Sue I agree you were having a bad day or what? Calm down hon I was just asking outta plain curiosity and am amazed at the response!

there's plenty of beautiful places out there!! Seems a little exteme to go all the way to Oz to catch some rays in my opinion and the fact that so many decide Oz is not for them cos of the shear distance away from family etc goes to show that it's not always the best place for a Brit to go so why the attraction?
just wondered in jest if all the Aussie t.v that's shown to people on a rainy day in U.k is brainwashing them into believing Oz is all "sun & Surf"

Oh and Sue in answer to your question no I've never even tried to get into Oz too many poisionous creepy crawlies for me :scared:

Last edited by dugongs; Sep 15th 2004 at 6:36 pm.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dugongs
plus oz gets major brownie points with the average loonie left uk media journalist as they see it as some sort of model of egalitarianism untouched by thatcherite policies which so ruined their uk of the 1970's. the number of times oz is referred to here as the perfect country is unbelieveable but unless you have lived there you would not understand that most of what is said is at best only half the story or worst just untrue.
Wise words, obviously from someone who HAS lived in both places, I could have written that myself.
Old Sep 14th 2004, 9:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Wise words, obviously from someone who HAS lived in both places, I could have written that myself.
And at the same time, for many people Australia is the perfect country.
Everyone is different.

Jeremy
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And at the same time, for many people Australia is the perfect country.
Everyone is different.

Jeremy
Dugons and I were discussing the image of Australia presented on the UK media, not the individual preference of who likes living where. I seriously doubt anywhere could be as perfect as the image of Australia presented by the UK media

It does give the wrong impression, we were back in February, as an Australian I am met with an incredulous response when I discuss my cost of living, work hours, education, crime, drugs, politics, and so on. UK relatives and friends who have not been here really do believe what they see on UK TV.

Take one example, 3 days ago we got an email, wifes friend who is coming here was supposed to be September will now be December, we live near Noosa, shes seen a property show and isnt property in Noosa cheap She also thinks we are lucky our children will never be exposed to DRUGS. Now if the correct images of Australia are being given out where do people get this stuff from?

I personally dont think anywhere would be perfect, not living a real life in the real world, is it possible to describe anywhere as perfect?
Old Sep 14th 2004, 10:44 pm
Badge

jeremy - you need to put that reply as a ''stickie'' at the top of the forum.

It's funny; Melbourne has the most ''interesting'' climate in the entire country, but somehow Neighbours still very much portrays the sun etc of Australia..I wouldn't have said it was filmed in Melbourne(!)

BM

Old Sep 15th 2004, 2:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I personally dont think anywhere would be perfect, not living a real life in the real world, is it possible to describe anywhere as perfect?
I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I think those for whom Australia is the 'perfect' country are those who enjoy its climate, lifestyle and natural beauty - but also accept that many of its problems are identical to the UK. You still have to go to work, bills need to be paid, kids still need to go to school, and so on. And also accept that just as in the UK there are plenty of scams to trap the unwary.

Those who go expecting some kind of utopia are the ones more likely to be disappointed.

And perhaps the least attractive feature of the UK is the constant 'doom and gloom' fed by certain sections of the media (with a correspondingly gilded view of places outside the UK) that masks the reality of the UK as a modern, dynamic industrial country with a lot going for it.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 15th 2004 at 9:25 am.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why Australia? Well, if you're British, not bilingual and want to emigrate you don't have a great deal of choice after you've ruled out:

- mainland Europe (language problems)
- Ireland (same problems as the UK, worse in some respects)
- US (difficult visa situation)
- South Africa (variety of reasons)
- small countries/territories, which are not for everyone (eg Isle of Man, Gibraltar, Singapore)

Which leaves pretty much Australia, Canada and New Zealand.

NZ has a small economy and climate not that dissimilar to Britain.
Canada is nice but the winters are too cold for some.

Which leaves Australia.

The two main attractions of Australia are the better climate and the increased amount of space vs the UK.

Those hoping for a better material standard of living will be disappointed, as the two countries are broadly the same.

As will those looking to escape from the usual problems that beset any developed Western society - they're all in Australia, to a greater or lesser extent.

Those who are dependent on close family or friends in the UK will feel isolated.

And those who like European travel will miss out. On the other hand being a long way from Europe is attractive for some.

Those who return to the UK find it difficult to understand how others could prefer to stay in Australia. At the end of the day's everyone's different.

It's important to think carefully about the pros and cons of migration before starting the process. Involve all family members, children included.

Write down (on separate sheets) the pros and cons of Australia versus the pros and cons of your current life. You should have data for all four elements - if not, think harder.

Consider the likely problems on arrival before getting there. What's going to happen if one spouse can't find a good job, or the other is homesick, or one of the kids doesn't settle at school.

Consider the alternatives to migration. Would relocation within the UK suit you better? What are you really looking for in life?

It's important to be adaptable, positive and willing to 'think Australian' to succeed in Australia.

Don't expect Australia to work out instantly. The culture of instant gratification suggests that it should, but life is not like that. A successful migration requires time and effort.

Do your financial planning - migration is not cheap. The visa costs are small in relation to the whole exercise.

Find out about requirements you may need to meet to work in your trade or profession in Australia. Don't assume it's the same as the UK. Also don't assume the different states in Australia are all the same.

Research, research and more research before leaving. Read Australian newspapers. Listen online to Australian radio stations. Get books on Australia from your bookshop and library. Find age-specific resources for the children.

By all means take a holiday beforehand - but try to see Australia from the point of view of a resident, not a tourist spending a stronger currency.

Choose your destination well in Australia. Employment opportunities and climate do vary greatly across the country. Be prepared to relocate interstate if necessary.

For British citizens, and others for whom dual citizenship is possible, it is a very good idea to consider staying long enough to get Australian citizenship and only then thinking about whether returning home is an option. This will benefit not only you if you later want to return (in retirement) or your children later in life.

Jeremy
Good advice JAJ,

Mainly the same reasons we chose it. We are not bi-lingual so that ruled out lots of places, we thought of the USA but decided the drugs/ violence culture was not for us. So to Aus we came!

We did a lot of research and have had realistic expectations of our lives. We have no regrets and absolutely love it here. The only way it could be better would be if we had some family out here too. Maybe one day that will happen.

Look carefully and choose the area that is right for you. I have been literally innundated with work as my job (SEN Teacher) is in high demand here on the Sunny Coast, other people would struggle to get work here.

For us Australia is everything we hoped for and for once we actually feel settled in a place- let's hope it lasts!
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Gareth W is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ

And perhaps the least attractive feature of the UK is the constant 'doom and gloom' fed by certain sections of the media (with a correspondingly gilded view of places outside the UK) that masks the reality of the UK as a modern, dynamic industrial country with a lot going for it.

Jeremy
That's about the truest thing I think I've read on here. The British media seem to be hopelessly addicted to gloom and misery. How many times have you watched the 6 o clock news thirty minute update of murder and misery then sat through the horror that is "Eastenders" and what's next ? Boom - one hour documentary telling you how you'd be better off living in Spain.

I wouldn't want the UK media to go as far down the "hurray for everything" route that some of the Aussie companies have but there's got to be a happy medium ?
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:50 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

It's very popular in certain circles to criticise anything British - and probably more particularly anything English. Some people, including some English people, seem to regard it almost as a badge of honour to be disparaging about British/English people, customs, traditions, music, food, religion: everything in fact. Some of the same people criticise anything American too.

I have my ideas about why this happens, but I still haven't completely got my head around it.

Like all places, Britain has its good and its bad points. I'd say that its good points outweight its bad ones by a long way, though - and I'd also say the same for Australia, New Zealand, the US, Canada ...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 12:28 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gareth W
That's about the truest thing I think I've read on here. The British media seem to be hopelessly addicted to gloom and misery. How many times have you watched the 6 o clock news thirty minute update of murder and misery then sat through the horror that is "Eastenders" and what's next ? Boom - one hour documentary telling you how you'd be better off living in Spain.

I wouldn't want the UK media to go as far down the "hurray for everything" route that some of the Aussie companies have but there's got to be a happy medium ?
tee hee after so many yrs away i'm hopelessly addicted to Eastenders!! four yrs behind mind but that's okay , funny thing is i never ever could bear to watch it when i lived in U.k
Old Sep 15th 2004, 1:36 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you'd have to be pretty naive to make the decision to change your life so dramatically just from what you've seen on the news or soaps or whatever.

We're going in the hope that we will be able to live a more relaxed life without the need to work quite so many hours as we do here, and to be able to have a family and accomodate them without it costing the earth!

I've lived all over the UK and am ready to try somewhere new...

But we have done a lot of research on this, it's not just based on seeing a New Life programme...
Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
I think you'd have to be pretty naive to make the decision to change your life so dramatically just from what you've seen on the news or soaps or whatever.
I dunno....yoyu'd probably be surprised at the number of people who do emigrate based on the lure of sun and paradise. Some people on here have said as much.

As a prospective migrant, surely you must be sick of everyone you meet saying "ooh, emigrating to Oz? I'd love to live there, get out of this shithole that is the UK", etc etc. Half of them have never even been there...how do they know it's better than the UK?

Have to say, since I've been back in the UK I'm more dumbfounded than ever by people who ask me why I've come back to this hellhole and left such an idyllic place. They moan to me about how much tax they pay, how much crime there is, drugs, NHS crisis, the weather, long working hrs, etc. The only thing I can agree with is perhaps the weather. The rest is just laughable.

BAck to the UK media, my sister (who has been in Oz since '89) still buys the UK Mail. While we were in Oz we used to call it the 'UK Gloom' because it was so depressing. She has this terrible picture in her mind that the UK is exactly like it is described in the UK Mail and still can't understand why we want to live here.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
I dunno....yoyu'd probably be surprised at the number of people who do emigrate based on the lure of sun and paradise. Some people on here have said as much.

As a prospective migrant, surely you must be sick of everyone you meet saying "ooh, emigrating to Oz? I'd love to live there, get out of this shithole that is the UK", etc etc. Half of them have never even been there...how do they know it's better than the UK?

Have to say, since I've been back in the UK I'm more dumbfounded than ever by people who ask me why I've come back to this hellhole and left such an idyllic place. They moan to me about how much tax they pay, how much crime there is, drugs, NHS crisis, the weather, long working hrs, etc. The only thing I can agree with is perhaps the weather. The rest is just laughable...
Ditto. I also find it staggering. Still, the way I explain Oz to those who ask is "Imagine Oz without the intense sun, heat and the beaches. Well, after a while, that's what happens : the sun and the beaches just become part of the backdrop; no big deal. Oh, and they're 10 thousand miles away. Now, do you still want to go Down Under?"

That brings their disbelief to a sudden halt.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Sep 15th 2004 at 9:39 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw

Have to say, since I've been back in the UK I'm more dumbfounded than ever by people who ask me why I've come back to this hellhole and left such an idyllic place. They moan to me about how much tax they pay, how much crime there is, drugs, NHS crisis, the weather, long working hrs, etc. The only thing I can agree with is perhaps the weather. The rest is just laughable.
That is what I am NOT looking forward to.

In February we left 40 degree heat, violent storms, workers collpasing from exhaustion, to be told WE were mad to be in the UK in February People often have NO idea do they? Peoples images of our lives in paradise were so far removed from reality it started out as funny, but by the end of the holiday you just wanted to wop someone for their stupidity.

I dont know how I will go listening to it long term.
Old Sep 15th 2004, 10:15 pm
scoobydoo

That is what I am NOT looking forward to.

In February we left 40 degree heat, violent storms, workers collpasing from exhaustion, to be told WE were mad to be in the UK in February People often have NO idea do they? Peoples images of our lives in paradise were so far removed from reality it started out as funny, but by the end of the holiday you just wanted to wop someone for their stupidity.

I dont know how I will go listening to it long term.

Jad n rich...I think the easiest way will be to not tell anyone where you have been! I know that when we go back it will drive me potty...only 6 months to go and then we can make our decision. (we will have been here a year by then)

After a few weeks of trying to be super positive I woke up this morning thinking b****y hell, can't wait to get back to flexible working hours, decent money, etc,etc!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.