Why not go to Europe???

Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default Why not go to Europe???

Having decided that Oz is not for us, we are reluctant to return to the UK, as the reasons we left are still there...

I was just wondering why more people don`t give other countries a try instead - e.g. France/Spain/Germany or any others in Europe? Is it a language thing?

I`m certainly considering this (although at the moment I don`t speak another language, but am not phased by the prospect of learning one) and would be interested to hear of any others who have considered/done it.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:51 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default Re: Why not go to Europe???

Originally posted by pommiesheila
Having decided that Oz is not for us, we are reluctant to return to the UK, as the reasons we left are still there...

I was just wondering why more people don`t give other countries a try instead - e.g. France/Spain/Germany or any others in Europe? Is it a language thing?

I`m certainly considering this (although at the moment I don`t speak another language, but am not phased by the prospect of learning one) and would be interested to hear of any others who have considered/done it.
We will be moving to the Czech Republic after about a year of hard graft and hard saving in London. An easy move for my wife as its her homeland but a tough one for me as its a very different culture and the language is a major barrier. But the Czechs are a friendly peaceful people and they live simpler lives, closer to nature, than your average Brit. We like that. Have decided to brush up on my basic German as most Czechs are fluent in this as well as Czech and its a dam sight easier to learn.
In the last 10 years my wife has lived for varying lengths of time in Zurich, Prague, Brno, London, Amsterdam and Sydney. Her opinion is that the worst of these was Sydney, her favourite Zurich. In the past 15 years I have lived for varying lengths of time in Bristol, Southampton, Sydney (twice), Gold Coast, Prague, London, Hong Kong . My favourite was Prague, worst was Gold Coast.
A few of my friends and colleagues now live Europe in places including Budapest, Paris, Prague, Zurich, Milan and Barcelona. Without exception they all love it and none of them I speak to miss the UK! I also have a couple of friends in the USA, they both hate it there and are planning their escape back to Europe.
Old Mar 7th 2003, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

captaincook is an unknown quantity at this point

i think language and cultural differences would be very large in Germany and France. Unemployment rates are also very very high in these countries - make even Oz look good and given the state of the euro they are not cheap at the moment.

spain would have some appeal although having been slightly shocked at some the standards in oz from previous visits to spain and the islands i know it would be difficult to tolerate after a time. Personally I would also have a problem with a country that considers bull fighting a national "sport". Barbaric.

A lot of people retire to spain / portugal and live in seaside towns and resort type communities quite happily enjoying the better climate and cheaper standard of living. but still close enough to get a dose of uk and visit family and friends. thats maybe a better option for older folks than oz which is so far away.

think i'll stick to oz and england for now and maybe a spell in the us for good measure if i can swing it with the boss !
Old Mar 10th 2003, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Why not go to Europe???

Originally posted by pommiesheila

I have had the same thought !!!!!! If I still lived in England no way would I go a place that is soooo far, I think your Idea is the best just my opinion........